Hmm interesting, I obviously haven't attended those meetings. its a bit odd actually, mainline railways almost always use berms.

I'm guessing that they are using pillars in this case in an attempt to take into account local concerns, much like they did with the completely unnecessary Weston tunnel and overbuilt strachan overpass.. Metrolinx bends over backwards more often than most for local concerns, the constant complaints from junction residents certainly seem to be costing them a pretty penny.

If you're building infrastructure in cities, you have to design it with the surrounding communities in mind. A lot of people live near railway tracks in Toronto. They often need to get to the other side of the tracks on foot and in cars. Their homes can't be damaged by vibrations. Their environment has to remain livable.

Past thinking might have been that those people simply don't matter, but that approach strikes me as flawed. People are people. Everyone has to live somewhere. Infrastructure has to be designed to minimize negative effects on the surrounding communities.

No, I think it'll be a berm. The size of the pillars required to support GO and freight trains is too much, its cheaper to use a berm wherever possible. The UPX got away with it as it only needs to support lighter trains.

Would freight trains still use the line? I think in the 2009 presentation that the Junction Triangle group posted it mentioned an option where the GO tracks would be elevated and a single freight track would remain at grade. This could allow for a steeper grade for the GO tracks but I could be wrong. I know that grades have been discussed here many times so apologies for not remembering. I believe the maximum is 2% but I don't know if GO can go higher. If they move to RER for this corridor, could it be higher than 2%? Maybe now that GO owns the line they could ban freight trains from using it (might not even be necessary).

I think the pillar idea is interesting. Maybe they could create some parks underneath similar to what they did in Underpass Park.

Finally made it out on Thursday to do some photographing that I have being trying to do for some weeks and had a refresh visit to the area.

A few hiccups doing the elevated line north of Dundas to south of St Clair. The first one, is Metrolinx willing to spend 10 of million dollars to do this when they only have to start north of Bloor St and end south of Davenport at 2% grade?

The 2nd hiccup and a real issue is Hydro One Feeder line into the substation at Davenport. If the line is elevated 5-7m over Davenport Rd, it will run right into the feeder line of Hydro One and the tower supporting it.

Metrolinx has already from what I saw replace the support beams over Dupont Rd and a slippery slope for being sue if the ice sickles fell off the bridge onto traffic or pedestrian as they pass under that bridge. The sidewalk is a skating rink in places from the dripping water from the gap between the concrete beams. Will post the photos showing this when I have time.

Regardless where the grade starts south of Wallace Ave, Wallace Ave will be free of tracks. If the elevation starts north of Wallace Ave, grade crossing will remain.

For Paton Ave to be reconnected, the elevation has to start south of Bloor St.

The corridor south Wallace is double track area and about 100' wide. North of Wallace, not sure if the land been sold off on the west side or lease, but it inferences into the corridor with only 1 track for about a block or so and goes back to the 100' width.

There are less residents living beside the corridor than I thought, but a few 100 at best. To deal with the viewing issue, some type of wall may have to be built in places to deal with the concerns of residents.

In the end, an elevated line starting south of Bloor St to south of St Clair would be the best option as it would remove all existing underpasses, open up 2 close off street, create a greenbelt for the area.

For the amount of riders that will be using this line in the coming years, their needs out weight the needs of the locals and the NIMBY folks. If the elevation cost $200 million in place of $120, money well spent. The city needs to pickup the cost of the green belt, not Metrolinx, but having Metrolinx kicking in some money will go along way to things a lot smoother to do.

As for freight trains, can't see any need to use the line south of Finch since this is in CN neighborhood in the first place that services the tank farms north of Finch. It been too long for me to know if there is any sidings still in use north of Eglinton that would see a CN train in the first place.

At some point, Castlefield Ave will have to be grade separated.

The 2nd hiccup and a real issue is Hydro One Feeder line into the substation at Davenport. If the line is elevated 5-7m over Davenport Rd, it will run right into the feeder line of Hydro One and the tower supporting it.

Yikes! That is a big hiccup.

I believe this is the Bridgman Transformer Station, which is shared by Toronto Hydro and Hydro One. It's the one that caused a power outage back in February.

I found info that they need to replace the hydro infrastructure in the area, maybe it won't be such a hiccup if they can coordinate the work.

You know, I wonder if it would be even cheaper to just plop in a new track onto the north side of the North Toronto sub, and send Barrie trains to Spadina Road. CP freight operations could just be shifted south to what is now used as a road for hi-rail vehicles. No grade separation necessary.

Considering the costs of negotiating track time with CP on that corridor or alternatively buying the land and building a separate mainline for CP to the south which will likely require rebuilding/refurbishing all those bridges along the pathway you mentioned the costs are likely to be far more than 120 mil.

And where do you find the land to build such a curve?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Indeed, haven't been up that way in a while but if I recall correctly the corner of the lot where the north to west wye was located has been replaced by townhouses.

Would freight trains still use the line? I think in the 2009 presentation that the Junction Triangle group posted it mentioned an option where the GO tracks would be elevated and a single freight track would remain at grade. This could allow for a steeper grade for the GO tracks but I could be wrong. I know that grades have been discussed here many times so apologies for not remembering. I believe the maximum is 2% but I don't know if GO can go higher. If they move to RER for this corridor, could it be higher than 2%? Maybe now that GO owns the line they could ban freight trains from using it (might not even be necessary).

Afaik frieghts haven't used that section of the line in years. The option for a single track at grade for freight trains was mentioned just in case CN needed to use the line as a bypass but seems to have been dropped, saner thoughts prevailing at the lack of necessity for such. Anything more than 2% is not optimal, I'm sure according to the specifications, passenger trains could handle a bit more. But there have been times(due to unavoidable circumstances) where I've had to stop on a 2% grade with a fully loaded GO train and we barely managed to get going again.

March 19
More up on sight and forgot to take some shots after walking to the area.

You could see all the new insulators that had been added and being installed to the sub station
16850528296_80281c7a7d_b.jpg

16875234312_dcdfa77aea_b.jpg

16875219142_c9c8ef76e9_b.jpg

16876404015_67c3a545f0_b.jpg

16850525516_03c4994f29_b.jpg

16256426363_b383e8e493_b.jpg

At some point, Castlefield Ave will have to be grade separated.

Too bad the city shelved the Ingram Drive extension via Raitherm Road or Wingold Avenue, that might have used either an underpass/overpass to cross the railroad tracks. They could have already started some sort of work on it by now. See link. Then they could have thought about doing something with Castlefield Avenue as well.

Maybe they'll do both now because of the needed upgrade of the railway tracks.

Grvh2Wo q3oKZBXWw8v TzB0mkOVfHAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

GoQBPxiAKJo5MX3Ix8vuZIB8CtZ7KsCrMIRlhAxWSz6FBf4LbQnFGZuIEdQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Last edited:
March 19
More up on sight and forgot to take some shots after walking to the area.

You could see all the new insulators that had been added and being installed to the sub station

Yikes, those icicles look nasty. And that hydro substation is an enormous obstacle. I'd be interested to hear Metrolinx's plan on dealing with it.

Any update on when the public meetings will happen? Probably April/May?

They told me the public meeting(s) would start in May. There will be some other meetings/events, not run by Metrolinx, in the meantime that will likely have Metrolinx attend.

Bloor Improvement Group is having a meeting on this topic next week (Wed Apr 1):
http://www.junctiontriangle.ca/node/2450

Also...I'm leading a Jane's Walk on May 3. Metrolinx will likely send someone...though I haven't confirmed.
http://janeswalk.org/canada/toronto/diamonds-arent-forever/

-Vic

CBjdpOFUEAAhuTO.jpg

Apparently "Some of the many artists' renderings of what the Davenport Diamond may look like" are actually just unattributed CC photos from Wikipedia / Flickr of Underpass Park.

This is a photo of Davenport MPP Cristina Martins' newest flyer, posted to Twitter by @brocktonian

Attachments

• CBjdpOFUEAAhuTO.jpg
    CBjdpOFUEAAhuTO.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 441

Back