Kind of a sad loss. The building itself has had some edits over the years that have reduced its architectural value in relation to brutalism but it harkened to a different time and provided a nice variety in architecture, form and use compared to its surroundings. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the replacement plans are...

The replacement is still a mystery. I guess we’ll find out soon enough, unless they plan to turn the site into a parking lot for the next few years.

Today

F60F592D-2704-4AC5-A7E9-ACDBE027C562.jpeg

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

Development Applications

Updated project description:
Proposal for a 50-storey mixed-use building comprised of 240 hotel suites, 581 residential dwelling units, and ground floor non-residential uses. The total residential gross floor area is 41,979 square metres, and the total non-residential gross floor area is 12,898 square metres.

Sounds like a pretty substantial building with those unit figures. In comparison, the Hyatt Place project just down the street contains 240 hotel suites and 179 rental units in a 32 storey building. Curious about which hotel chain will be lined up here.

I thought amexcon had an agreement with the city and St.Michael’s hospital that the building can’t exceed 30 stories because of the helicopter path? Why did the city allow 50 stories?????????

St Michael’s hospital helicopter path will he blocked by this 50 story proposal. I thought the city already told them they can’t build higher than 30 stories. What happened?

Back