They haven’t filed a site plan application yet - and given that they are demolishing the hotel, which was supposed to be retained - I fully expect a new design when they do eventually apply.
So they're blowing it up first, then asking questions later?

Scaffolding going up at the front

5D262020-9296-422C-AF79-765D31265C1A.jpeg

I'm surprised to see so few tears shed for this building, considering that Brutalism was supposed to be making its comeback nowadays.

Ultimately I feel that heritage preservation nowadays too often comes down to the 'What is now'- aka what visually remains over the 'What could be'- aka the restoration of hidden/lost visual features. Here, dressed up in an unflattering renovation, the Grand Hotel went under the radar of most people, I'd imagine.

What can you do? I dont understand tearing down a building of this height or stature but what really can you do. Demolition has been approved, and unfortunately the city does care too much about preserving anything post world war 2

What can you do? I dont understand tearing down a building of this height or stature but what really can you do. Demolition has been approved, and unfortunately the city does care too much about preserving anything post world war 2
Even if it wanted to do so, the City has virtually no power to prohibit a building owner demolishing their own property. There are certainly conditions that can be imposed if you demolish a residential building but ....

lost its charm for me when they tarted it up with the fake glass wall and awful entrance. Nonetheless sad to see it go. With the (temporary) collapse of the hospitality industry, I can see why they took this opportunity to move forward on this phase of the project.

They are installing a bunch of rebar on the north side for something

99980272-B995-48C6-9CD6-5388395B7381.jpeg

Also of note, not sure how demolition works but all of the rooms still have furnishings. You would think the would have been removed by now.

Reactions: PMT
This must be the largest building demolished in Toronto since that one in the Discovery District area at Elizabeth & Gerrard a few years ago, where the site is now a parking lot.

Are they demolishing the tower? Has there been any demolition (here or elsewhere) involving use of crane?

Are they demolishing the tower? Has there been any demolition (here or elsewhere) involving use of crane?

I have a view of the eastern half up close and so far they have started to gut the top three floors and a bunch of stuff at the bottom. I have been regularly awoken by metal studs being pushed out of the windows and hitting the ground at 7am.....

Back