What was the original proposed construction time for the line? I expect they won't discuss the new lines and potential extensions until they are well into construction on this part. I wouldn't be surprised to see a b-line extension to confederation station at some point. It should be a relatively cheap extension and quick to build. The logical terminus of the line would actually be getting it over the QEW to provide a transit connection to the waterfront trail and park system.

However it still seems like a massive oversight not integrating what will be a really important and vital transit destination to your RT network.
Oversight is not the right word because the original funded plan from 2015 included the West Harbour spur. Based on feedback from council, the spur was eliminated in favour of extending the B-Line from Queenston Circle to Eastgate Square which is a much better terminus in my opinion.

The other problem people had with the LRT spur was that it would physically conflict if the city later decided to build BRT for the full A-Line route to the airport.

It's a good thing the private companies/institutions in Hamilton are much more progressive then Hamilton politicians. If we had it the politicians way, Hamilton would be stuck in the 1970's with next to no change/innovation.

The fact that even Hamilton Health Sciences, and Hamilton Wentworth District School Board are speaking out embarrassingly shows what kind of nudging this pathetic group of city councillors need.

Hamilton Council reminds me a lot of Toronto council of 10 years ago, but even more extreme. I've never seen a council so self-focused on their little ward fiefdoms. It's crazy to me that so many can't think on a city-wide level at all.

I understand Hamilton's history of Amalgamation and unwillingness to integrate the former suburbs into the new single tier municipality, but jeez. Toronto has the same type of history and councillors seem to finally be moving on from the former boundaries today.. why is Hamilton still so stuck in the past?

Hamilton Council reminds me a lot of Toronto council of 10 years ago, but even more extreme. I've never seen a council so self-focused on their little ward fiefdoms. It's crazy to me that so many can't think on a city-wide level at all.

I understand Hamilton's history of Amalgamation and unwillingness to integrate the former suburbs into the new single tier municipality, but jeez. Toronto has the same type of history and councillors seem to finally be moving on from the former boundaries today.. why is Hamilton still so stuck in the past?

There are many similarities. The biggest difference is that instead of the urban vs. suburban divide, you have the urban vs. surburban + rural divide. The LRT is a no-go issue for the majority of residents in Flamborough or Glanbrook. There are only 4-5 "urban" wards in a council with 14 wards.

Notably, the federal Libs and the provincial Cons are teaming up in support of the Hamilton LRT, while the Liberal MP currently representing Hamilton East / Stoney Creek (Bob Bratina) is against this project.

Apparently, Bratina won't run for MP in the next federal elections because he is in disagreement with his own party.

Notably, the federal Libs and the provincial Cons are teaming up in support of the Hamilton LRT, while the Liberal MP currently representing Hamilton East / Stoney Creek (Bob Bratina) is against this project.

Apparently, Bratina won't run for MP in the next federal elections because he is in disagreement with his own party.

Hamilton's Mammoliti?

As an aside, I'm thrilled that both the provincial and federal governments have clearly stated that their very generous offer of 3.4 billion dollars is specifically for LRT only. It's that or nothing at all.

None of the usual "we will fund whatever the municipality requests" BS.

Hamilton's Mammoliti?

Is he? I didn't follow Hamilton politics at all.

From the limited info I've got, Bratina sounds much more decent than Mammo. Mammo was known for odd remarks and shifting positions, while Bratina basically just said "I don't agree but that's your choice, I will complete my current term as MP and won't stand in your way afterwards".

Bratina pitched a back of the napkin LRT route that he is convinced is the best that spends half it's length climbing the mountain and serving absolutely 0 people before running through an industrial park and farmers fields before arriving at an airport with a handful of flights a day during his mayoral election, and still thinks that is what should be built.

He's convinced he knows better than the planners and claims the current route "goes nowhere", despite it hitting the majority of major destinations in the city (those on the mountain excluded).

Back