Is he? I didn't follow Hamilton politics at all.

From the limited info I've got, Bratina sounds much more decent than Mammo. Mammo was known for odd remarks and shifting positions, while Bratina basically just said "I don't agree but that's your choice, I will complete my current term as MP and won't stand in your way afterwards".

Well...........so far as I know...........he spared us all from taking off his shirt in a council debate, so that's 1 point over Mammo for sure.

But certainly he was prone to esoterism. Which is arguably a Mammo trait, if one was being kind.

Motion time.

FB_IMG_1622569547119.jpg

Metrolinx presentation underway now.

1/2 of the entirety HSR network ridership is apparently on the LRT line - shows why LRT makes sense.

The city is being asked to cover day to day operations, long term maintenance will be covered by Metrolinx. Operations estimated at $20m/year as a gross number - the overall additional cost burden would be lower as that would be net of fare revenue and savings from not operating buses on the line. The city will have to do the math itself on what the actual additional tax burden will be on the city.

Last edited:
Is he? I didn't follow Hamilton politics at all.

From the limited info I've got, Bratina sounds much more decent than Mammo. Mammo was known for odd remarks and shifting positions, while Bratina basically just said "I don't agree but that's your choice, I will complete my current term as MP and won't stand in your way afterwards".

Councillor Terry Whitehead is Hamilton's Mammoliti.

Ideally the operational savings are $0 (imo) because they re-deploy those buses for additional service elsewhere in the network. Not so sure they will though..
Council has a separate ridership growth strategy that they have been implementing that includes increased service elsewhere, but that's a separate discussion from the LRT.

A lot of councillors are trying to poke holes in the LRT plans by highlighting how much it will cost the city - the comparison needs to be with and without the LRT to determine it's financial impact. Most likely it will only cost a few million a year in operations over current costs to operate the B-line.

Hamilton is also in the process of building a new bus garage in the lower city to support ridership growth in the bus network, which is moving in tandem with the LRT work.

^No station at Scarlett Road?

- Paul

Council has a separate ridership growth strategy that they have been implementing that includes increased service elsewhere, but that's a separate discussion from the LRT.

A lot of councillors are trying to poke holes in the LRT plans by highlighting how much it will cost the city - the comparison needs to be with and without the LRT to determine it's financial impact. Most likely it will only cost a few million a year in operations over current costs to operate the B-line.

Hamilton is also in the process of building a new bus garage in the lower city to support ridership growth in the bus network, which is moving in tandem with the LRT work.
We should also expect to see an increase in ridership. Not just for the LRT, but also for the feeder buses.

Deferral.............for another 2 weeks, by a 13-2 vote.

Are there sufficient words in the English language to describe this inanity?
I mean it's not the craziest thing I've seen municipal councils do. Metrolinx wants to move faster I think but I expect an approval in 2 weeks.

The deferral is mostly because they are hoping for a better number on the net operating cost. It's clearly not going to be more than a couple million a year though so I'm not sure why they are so up in arm with it.

I fully expect in 2 weeks for staff to come back with the magic net operating number and it be passed by council. Council loves to air their grievances with how the project is not perfect, but I would be surprised if the majority of council turns it down. There will be far more councilors opposed to it than there should be though..

I mean it's not the craziest thing I've seen municipal councils do. Metrolinx wants to move faster I think but I expect an approval in 2 weeks.

The deferral is mostly because they are hoping for a better number on the net operating cost. It's clearly not going to be more than a couple million a year though so I'm not sure why they are so up in arm with it.

I fully expect in 2 weeks for staff to come back with the magic net operating number and it be passed by council.

Not the craziest, but taking the journey of this project in its totality; and considering there won't be any material change to anything over the next 2 weeks, its just infuriating time-wasting.

Not the craziest, but taking the journey of this project in its totality; and considering there won't be any material change to anything over the next 2 weeks, its just infuriating time-wasting.
Oh for sure. But it's been 10 years, so what's another 2 weeks amiright?

They still have a final vote on it to approve the MOU so council should have just approved staff to negotiate the MOU and report back once that is finalized with a net operating number and make the final decision then, instead of needing that information before even approving staff to negotiate the MOU.

Hamilton is going to pull a Brampton, aren't they.

In somewhat fairness to Hamilton, when Brampton Council deferred in July 2015 they didn't take up the decision until October 2015 and hired a mediator to try to help them. So a two week deferral isn't as long or arduous as that situation was. There was so much battling on Brampton Council that the last mediation session didn't even happen.

Back