Hoarding has gone up along the whole block. Say goodbye to those rotting houses.

4 March 2012:

033pj.jpg

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/1309579--high-park-condo-plan-going-to-the-omb

High Park condo plan going to the OMB

Decision on building's mass and materials still flexible, says developer

LISA RAINFORD|Mar 02, 2012 - 1:02 PM

The developer of a proposed 14-storey, 378-unit condominium complex across from High Park is appealing an Etobicoke York Community Council decision to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).

"Our property engineers determined that this proposal is appropriate," said Neil Pattison, senior manager of development for the Daniels Corporation. "We are appealing the Official Plan and zoning bylaw amendments to the OMB."

While the issues of height and density are off the table, the building's mass and materials are still up for discussion as part of a working group comprised of community volunteers, said Pattison.

"The height will not be reduced to eight storeys. Materials, landscaping; how it will look and feel on the street can be discussed," he said.

Working group meetings are slated for March 20, 27 and April 5, said the councillor.

Another concern raised was additional development in the area. There is an upcoming meeting to discuss two projects: North Drive investments is contemplating two redevelopment projects at 1990 and 2114 Bloor St. W. This meeting takes place Thursday, March 8 at Humberside Collegiate. Carvalino assured residents no application has yet to be submitted to the city.

NIMBYism in High Park?

West-end residents fear a new condo may set off "crowding" of Toronto's largest park.

The row of boarded-up Victorian houses fronting High Park has long been an eyesore. Now though, a developer that’s looking to bring a 14-storey high-rise to the site is doing so in the face of fierce community opposition.

Concerned about the design of the proposed condo at 1844 Bloor Street West, residents formed a committee dubbed “This Is My Park†in August of last year and circulated a petition that now includes over 794 signatures.

E.L. Kramp, a 36-year resident of High Park and former chair of the committee, said that residents are opposed to a having a “glass-topped building†in their neighborhood, something which they just don’t think will gel with the area’s century homes.

Residents are also opposed to the proposed height and size of the condo, which will span from Pacific Avenue to Oakmount Road. The current design features two eight-storey wings, with a courtyard in the middle that will be integrated into the streetscape. The 14-storey section of the building will be set back 80 feet from the curb.

Kramp would prefer a five-story building at the sidewalk, stepping back to eight-storeys.

More........http://torontoist.com/2012/03/nimbyism-in-high-park/

Hilarious. I'd say--I live right beside High Park--over half the users of the park do not live in the area. On the weekends, the place is taken over by suburbanites.

I ran into a couple of these nimbies--when I said I live in the highrises they walked away. Clearly they're old-school wealthy homeowners aka snobs.

Most of the people (complaining) at the recent community meeting lived in the 17-storey rental building to the north of this. The second largest group came from homes on the east side of Oakmount.

Oh, now mind you if my view was blocked--it's a prime view and yes I too fear gentrification could cause my landlord to seek redevelopment--I would likely be a nimby. Or rather, I'd just move. I know some people that live in the rental building in question--it's dirt cheap rent and does indeed offer spectacular views over High Park and the Etobicoke waterfront. But, for years they've known the property in question was doomed for condos.

I do believe the square could be moved inwards and the building reduced in height by say 5s. There are some fantastic Montreal projects with less height yet more units than this building proposes, yet proved to be popular with buyers.

How many people live in those homes on Oakmount? I would guess tops maybe 25-30. They should be happy their property values will increase--they'll likely sell to Daniels etc c.2025.

Last edited:
The problem with this building is that the rear portion is too slabby. Breaking it up into two connected pieces would do wonders.

Oh, now mind you if my view was blocked--it's a prime view and yes I too fear gentrification could cause my landlord to seek redevelopment--I would likely be a nimby. Or rather, I'd just move. I know some people that live in the rental building in question--it's dirt cheap rent and does indeed offer spectacular views over High Park and the Etobicoke waterfront. But, for years they've known the property in question was doomed for condos.

It is pretty damned funny. I've always had low regard for this commie block. Their parking lot usually has one or two decrepit cars and there's always someone picking through their overloaded garbage bin / loading area.

Back