re: Traffic Lights @ Power St

DECISION HISTORY:
On June 25, 2019, the Toronto and East York Community Council adopted TE7.121 Improving Road Safety on Power Street between Richmond Street East and Adelaide Street East, with a direction for Transportation Services to review and install temporary safety improvements prior to signal installation in 2021.

JULY 2022 UPDATE from Dan Clement, Manager of Traffic Operations:

Thank you for reaching out. We have had several requests at these locations and I recently reached out to our signals' staff to get an update on the installation. I was informed they are currently working on issuing a consultant assignment for the detailed design. This detailed design is expected to be completed by Q2 2023. No delivery mechanism has been identified yet for these two signals. There are geometric modifications associated with the proposed bumpouts at the two intersections that are complex and they are currently exploring delivery options. This is the most recent update I have, unfortunately these will not be installed this year.

Dan Clement
Manager, Traffic Operations
Telephone: (416) 397-5021
Dan.Clement@toronto.ca

Looks like the retail is leased.
Home Societé coming summer 2023
C8A3D5B8-0572-4A40-A1B1-032FE0A5813D.jpeg

I enjoy going to the furniture stores along King St. E. If the stores draw me many more must come into the area to shop and eat and have a drink which I think is good thing. I don't live in this area so perhaps I'm not aware that there may be a need for grocery stores etc, in this neighbourhood.

I wish i knew of other cities who were successful at this, but maybe folks should consider making the city a place to live, instead of a destination for others. Does a pricey furniture store in the furniture district attract people? Sure I suppose, otherwise a business wouldn't set up shop there. But you have to figure that the Shoppers on Queen will be gone soon, as will the No Frill's (for a length of time maybe?). So my guess is, 90% of the people in this building will do grocery shopping via car, and some place well out of the neighbourhood that has free parking. I feel like Covid should have taught us to build neighbourhoods that sustain their community and vice versa, but stuff like this - I dunno, its more warehousing people over here, then putting the stuff they need all the way over there. Which is weird, because I thought the argument FOR density was that it would create more of a customer base for businesses you needed.

I wish i knew of other cities who were successful at this, but maybe folks should consider making the city a place to live, instead of a destination for others. Does a pricey furniture store in the furniture district attract people? Sure I suppose, otherwise a business wouldn't set up shop there. But you have to figure that the Shoppers on Queen will be gone soon, as will the No Frill's (for a length of time maybe?). So my guess is, 90% of the people in this building will do grocery shopping via car, and some place well out of the neighbourhood that has free parking. I feel like Covid should have taught us to build neighbourhoods that sustain their community and vice versa, but stuff like this - I dunno, its more warehousing people over here, then putting the stuff they need all the way over there. Which is weird, because I thought the argument FOR density was that it would create more of a customer base for businesses you needed.

To be clear, this development was approved with the intention of and a design that was hoped to accommodate, a supermarket.

Hullmark did very much try to get a grocer here.

And some did, in fact, kick the tires.

For whatever reason, a deal just could not come to fruition here.

But, there are, definitely, more new downtown supermarkets inbound, and you should hear about a few more, shortly.

Last edited:
They apparently need a Minor Variance to achieve this retail. Coming to CofA in mid-September

Minor Variance Proposed – Retail Store Space At this time, no retail space has been leased despite our client actively searching for tenants over the last number of years. The challenge of leasing out this space has been in part due to the decline in retail demand in the downtown core caused by the pandemic.

Our client has been approached by a potential retail tenant that has expressed a firm interest in leasing several of the retail spaces that, combined, exceeds 3,500 square metres of space on the first and second floors of the building. Since the Site Specific By-laws cap the floor area of a single retail store to 3,500 square metres, a minor variance is required. Accordingly, we are filing this application to seek a variance to each of the Site Specific By-law, as follows: Section 4(D), By-law 276-2019 – Retail or Service Use Maximum Gross Floor Area: No individual retail or service use shall exceed a maximum non-residential gross floor area of 3,500 square metres; In this case, one (1) individual retail or service use will have a maximum nonresidential gross floor area of 4,005 square metres. Section 5(C), By-law 277-2019 – Retail Store or Retail Service Use Maximum Interior Floor Area: The non-residential gross floor area of the mixed-use building must not exceed 4,150 square metres and the interior floor area of any single retail service or retail store use must not exceed 3,500 square metres; In this case, the non-residential gross floor area of the mixed-use building will not exceed 4,150 square metres and the interior floor area of any single retail service or retail store use will not exceed 3,854 square metres. We note that gross floor area (“GFA”) and interior floor area (“IFA”) are defined differently in the by-laws. In By-law 276-2019, which amends the former City of Toronto Zoning By-law 438-86, non-residential GFA is measured from the exterior face of the exterior wall, exclusive of above and below grade mechanical area. In By-law 277-2019, which amends City-wide Zoning By-law 569-2013, interior floor area is measured from the interior side of a main wall, exclusive of mechanical area in the basement only. These slight variations in floor area calculation result in the proposed retail store having a GFA of 4,005 square metres and IFA of 3,854 square metres.

I have now seen it all: people complaining about unique retail overtaking a spot for another Shoppers Drug Mart.

at over 30,000ft2 that would be by far the largest Shopper's Drug Mart ever..........

LOL

In fairness, people here were promised, and expected a grocery store as part of the mix.

at over 30,000ft2 that would be by far the largest Shopper's Drug Mart ever..........

LOL

In fairness, people here were promised, and expected a grocery store as part of the mix.
Yes, Shoppers has a fair selection of (overpriced) groceries and when they are demolished there will not be an obvious or near-by source of 'basics'. That area really needs a proper grocery store!

In the post above, I derided the notion of a drug store, even an-oversized one, with a substantial grocery section, could fill 30,000ft2 ..........

Well........

Retail-Insider tells me.........just wait til London Drugs arrives in Eastern Canada...... LOL, the Western Canadian chain, just opened 29,600ft2 'drug store'.......in Edmonton

That, of course, comes with an electronics department, a computer department and appliances section.................. :rolleyes:

Yes, Shoppers has a fair selection of (overpriced) groceries and when they are demolished there will not be an obvious or near-by source of 'basics'. That area really needs a proper grocery store!
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the Nofrills on Front will shrink once King East Centre gets going.

Back