Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. Since when did they have an "option" to build a 2nd tower?

Also is there any way the entire Exhibition Board can be forcibly removed for allowing continued successive idiotic proposals to be built?

I'm not sure what criteria Boards use in their approval process but I agree that Hotel X should have been pushed harder to improve their design. Particularly given its prominent location on the waterfront. I've looked up The Ex's Board and it lists the following members. Not sure if this is an updated list (I suspect Karygiannis is no longer there) but it's probably mostly accurate. I know I will reach out to a few to remind them that architecture is a critical component of any buildings in this area.

Passing this along in case anyone knows/speaks to any other board members and feels the same.

• Councillor Joe Cressy.
  • Councillor Stephen Holyday.
  • Councillor Jim Karygiannis.
  • Peter Leon.
  • Howard Lichtman.
  • Paula Oliveira.
  • Councillor Anthony Perruzza.
  • Tess Romain.

As a penalty for the first building, can we have them be obligated to cover the cost of construction for the Ontario Line subway stop?
(but for the love of God do not let them be involved in any sort of design work)

I'm not sure what criteria Boards use in their approval process but I agree that Hotel X should have been pushed harder to improve their design. Particularly given its prominent location on the waterfront. I've looked up The Ex's Board and it lists the following members. Not sure if this is an updated list (I suspect Karygiannis is no longer there) but it's probably mostly accurate. I know I will reach out to a few to remind them that architecture is a critical component of any buildings in this area.
Though I share your view that Hotel X in particular and developers in general should be 'pushed harder to improve their designs" the City has very few legal powers over design above the zoning and height. (And even there the LPAT can and does over-rule them.) That's why there are Design Review panels but even they cannot make a developer re-design and make silk purses out of a sow's ears: If the developers do not want to follow the advice of the DRP they can simply go their own way and we have to live with the consequences. DRPs do have the effect of putting the professionals on the spot in front of their peers and their suggestions often do vastly improve projects but.....

Though I share your view that Hotel X in particular and developers in general should be 'pushed harder to improve their designs" the City has very few legal powers over design above the zoning and height. (And even there the LPAT can and does over-rule them.) That's why there are Design Review panels but even they cannot make a developer re-design and make silk purses out of a sow's ears: If the developers do not want to follow the advice of the DRP they can simply go their own way and we have to live with the consequences. DRPs do have the effect of putting the professionals on the spot in front of their peers and their suggestions often do vastly improve projects but.....

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know, I didn’t realize this. Although I am a little more depressed now thinking we have less influence on design than I may have hoped. ☹️

Although the city cant influence the designwork significantly, what they can to is put the Exhibition lands into better use instead of allowing ill-fitting, misconceived developments to proceed unabated.

For example, to even allow the developers to have "the option" to proceed with a 2nd tower is highly questionable on its own right to say the least.

Although the city cant influence the designwork significantly, what they can to is put the Exhibition lands into better use instead of allowing ill-fitting, misconceived developments to proceed unabated.

For example, to even allow the developers to have "the option" to proceed with a 2nd tower is highly questionable on its own right to say the least.
The City seem to be on board with this and are currently finalising the Master Plan for the Ex lands. I think in the past they let the Ex Board pretty much do what it wanted but I must say I agree that having a hotel in that area is long overdue - it's just a pity it's such a pile of crap and about to get a twin!

a pity it's such a pile of crap and about to get a twin!

Conceptual plans for said pile, c/o Matt Elliott's newsletter:

> 30-storey hotel; approx. 400 rooms
> An entertainment venue with capacity for 6,000-7,000 seats
> And LOL:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.55.38 PM.png

Background stuff:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.55.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.56.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.57.10 PM.png

Oh well, if it's a continuation of design excellence with contextually appropriate character I am clearly wrong in calling it crap! Silly me.

But hey, it got "digital activation" on the facade. Guess one better get those fingers cracking.

AoD

The east elevation also says "Team Store".
Will the Entertainment Venue also be for sports of some kind?
Like an eSports Stadium?
That would allign with the suggested digital activations...

Possible - though the amount of seating is probably way too high for esports alone.

AoD
way too high you say?

way too high you say?

Yep - Yongsan mentioned in the article has closed - replaced by a number of venues in the 500 - 1000 seat for example; and that's South Korea. You can find venues with larger capacities - but they are not dedicated.

AoD

Back