8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

SimonP

Member Bio
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years I've been working to illustrate the Wikipedia articles on the various Toronto neighbourhoods. For each article I've tried to get a shot showing a cluster of "typical" houses for that part of the city. Together they form an interesting gallery of the diversity of house styles in Toronto. There's a huge amount of variance between our neighbourhoods, even between the suburban ones that are sometimes thought of as undifferentiated sprawl.

Here are some of the photos:

Harbord Village:
450px-Harbord_Village.JPG

Clairlea:
450px-Clairlea.JPG

Cliffside:
450px-Cliffside.JPG

Bendale:
450px-Bendale.JPG

The Annex:

450px-Annex_houses.JPG

Thorncrest Village:
450px-Thorncrest_Village_houses.JPG

Birch Cliff:
450px-Birch_Cliff.JPG

Lansing:
450px-Lansing%2C_Toronto.JPG

O'Connor-Parkview
450px-O%27Connor-Parkview_houses.JPG

L'Amoreaux:
450px-L%27Amoreaux.JPG

Don Mills:
450px-Don_Mills_homes.JPG

Governor's Bridge:
450px-Governor%27s_Bridge%2C_Toronto.JPG

Bridle Path:
450px-Bridle_Path.JPG

Humber Summit:
450px-Humber_Summit_houses.JPG

Corktown:
450px-Corktown%2C_Toronto.jpg

Cabbagetown:*
450px-Cabbagetown_houses.jpg

*This one was taken by another Wikipedia user

Richview:
450px-Richview_houses.JPG

Willowdale:
450px-Willowdale_homes.JPG

Oakridge:
450px-Oakridge%2C_Toronto.JPG

Newtonbrook:
450px-Newtonbrook_houses.JPG

Armour Heights:
450px-Armour_Heights_houses.JPG

Dorset Park:
450px-Dorset_Park_houses.JPG

Upper Beaches:
450px-Upper_Beaches_houses.JPG

Scarborough Junction:
450px-Scarborough_Junction_houses.JPG

Leslieville:
450px-Leslieville.jpg

Leaside:
450px-Leaside.jpg

Delightful, and hardly a fence in sight, anywhere - other than that sweet little white picket affair - to break the civilised public/semi public/private realm transition from street to front garden to residence. However, I've noticed in my rambles through the east end over the past few years that more and more homeowners are now putting up tall, 905-ish wooden fences along their property lines.

Nice collection!

I've always liked these barn-ish style houses you often see around East York:

4739386489_de1dca7c01_z.jpg

Great stuff! But may I humbly state that those salt-box homes are not representative of the progressive styles of Don Mills at all (and only appear on a few streets).

Might I suggest you check out the very first street ever built upon in DM, called Jocelyn Cres., (behind the library) or one of my favourites, Deepwood Cres. in the south-east quadrant. Here you will find the long, shallow-pitch rooflines and ample glass that are more characteristic of the bold Modernism that was being practiced.

Cheers,

Dave LeBlanc

Great stuff! But may I humbly state that those salt-box homes are not representative of the progressive styles of Don Mills at all (and only appear on a few streets).

Might I suggest you check out the very first street ever built upon in DM, called Jocelyn Cres., (behind the library) or one of my favourites, Deepwood Cres. in the south-east quadrant. Here you will find the long, shallow-pitch rooflines and ample glass that are more characteristic of the bold Modernism that was being practiced.

Cheers,

Dave LeBlanc

Yes, there are some nice ones back there, almost Eichler in style. Sadly alot are disappearing, replaced by the larger faux chateau. Here is a decent survivour.

Cheers,

Dave LeBlanc

Welcome to this wonderful web site, Dave.
I've always enjoyed your G&M column.

Back