^ A lot of people in those buildings behind the plaza must be doubly ticked off. They lose their supermarket and they lose their view.

yay! Its good that the demo is starting.... bye bye plaza.
Funny how urbanization/building up works... the plaza is a perfectly habitable/functional building, and its being completely destroyed. a bit of a waste to me but i love it! (skyscraper construction FTW :D!)

The NW corner is one big *non*-parking lot. (They moved Dempsey's for this...)

Maybe somebody knows , wheather or not there are any real plans for this corner?
Why did they moved Dempsey ( which is sitting empty and, apparently, forgotten on its "new" location any ways...) then ?

^^^

They moved Dempsey's because it was directly in the way of the new Sheppard Subway construction. They deemed it was not savable on-site (during construction). Of course they could, arguably have chosen to move it back after, but everyone thought this corner would be part of a multi-tower development.

There was in fact a rezoning for Sheppard Station underway sometime back for 2 towers, which I believe included all or a portion of the Dempsey's land.

The intent was to bury to the bus terminal under the new development.

However, the City has now found any takers for the land post-Sheppard construction. I believe this may be in part because of price (and the cost of burying the bus terminal); but also because City planners have their heart set on this land being commercial (office).

In the short-term, the decision was made by the City to make the site available for big box retail (no parking) as way to occupy the site pending proper market conditions for something better. However, I don't believe they've had much interest. So it sits there, blankly for all to see!

^^^

However, the City has now found any takers for the land post-Sheppard construction. I believe this may be in part because of price (and the cost of burying the bus terminal); but also because City planners have their heart set on this land being commercial (office).

Sorry maybe I misunderstood... did you mean the say 'the City has NOT found'...?

It was a slow start, but the plaza is really coming down now. What a mess! They are spraying water to keep the dust down, but I think a lot of people are going to be vacuuming and dusting an awful lot.

Sorry maybe I misunderstood... did you mean the say 'the City has NOT found'...?

You misunderstood nothing.

The N/W corner of Yonge/Sheppard, everything between the bus terminal and Yonge Street is owned by the City of Toronto, having been previously expropriated for the Sheppard subway.

Taken today

YS#4.jpg
YS#1.jpg
YS#3.jpg
YS#2.jpg

Attachments

• YS#2.jpg
    YS#2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 472
  • YS#3.jpg
    YS#3.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 432
  • YS#1.jpg
    YS#1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 465
  • YS#4.jpg
    YS#4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 454
nice progress ^^^

The demo is moving quick! I was there 2/3 days ago and i saw that most of the north wing was still up...

This tower, being about the same height as Minto Midtown, will really stand out in North York. Add in Gibson & Emerald and North York starts looking like a real downtown. Fill in a few gaps here and there (Lawrence) and you pretty much have a downtown all along Yonge Street, from the lake to north of Finch. That's pretty awesome! (and huge) Keep that density coming.

I like the Metro store all alone. Now, just strip away all that Pomo gunk and you have a 50s parabola that could be reused as a community greenmarket or something...

(Wishful thinking is good.)

This tower, being about the same height as Minto Midtown, will really stand out in North York. Add in Gibson & Emerald and North York starts looking like a real downtown. Fill in a few gaps here and there (Lawrence) and you pretty much have a downtown all along Yonge Street, from the lake to north of Finch. That's pretty awesome! (and huge) Keep that density coming.

I agree 100%. In fact, Hullmark will actually be slightly taller than Minto Midtown too!

I'm hoping this tower will become a landmark to come when viewed from the CN tower, FCP, etc... (any building with an extensive view to the north!).

And from the CN tower, one can argue that our downtown "looks" like it goes all the way to Yonge/Egg because of the line of buildings along yonge. and like you said, build a few more highrises along yonge (in between Lawrence-401) and you've got the complete illusion of a SUPER CITY!!!...

Nice progress on the demolition. it looks about half way done right now!:D

Adding density between Lawrence and York Mills would be fantastic but I don't see this happening at least not at a height comparable to what we are seeing at Eglinton and Sheppard/Finch.

I think Hullmark is going to be the new landmark for spotting Yonge street while driving on the 401. It should obviously be the first building that comes into view. I wonder how far out we will be able to see it?

Back