Though it was very close to the Yonge sidewalk, just south of Sheppard...there's subway structures literally feet away. Not exactly a spot where one's free to drill willy-nilly. Excavating and building the parking garage could be tricky on this site with the subway interchange right there. One Bloor only has to deal with one subway line, for instance.

I'm glad they're going to be extending Anndale Drive as part of this project. However, there is no mention of when Doris will be extended south towards Avondale. That is a more pressing matter since it would help to funnel some northbound traffic away from Yonge/Sheppard intersection.

I went into the sales office yesterday and asked when demolition would begin. The agent said it would be about another month. Pity they didn't extend the lease of the Metro supermarket, I really miss it.

So I think the Dominion is finally closed as of Thursday night (January 29, 2010)...I dropped by last week and the place was hilariously devoid of food. Every aisle was 99% empty except for the one shelf closest to the cashier, yet people were still shopping, picking through whatever frozen fishsticks and marshmallow-in-a-tube and canned coffee was left. National Sports was a zoo, with about 40 people lined up at the cash and easily another 150 sifting through random clearanced stuff.

wow thats right ParadoxHippie ... time really flies ...
its been a quick 3 months since Dominion closed at the end of January already ~

There is some action at the site now. A wide area of the parking lot has been fenced off and they are drilling / digging. Several pieces of heavy equipment at the site.

There is some action at the site now. A wide area of the parking lot has been fenced off and they are drilling / digging. Several pieces of heavy equipment at the site.

Some pretty EPIC news! I'm sure we'll be seeing some hardcore excavation next month!

If you think about it, Hullmark will be the tallest skyscraper north of Yorkville in Canada!... epic stuff! I'm real excited for this one!

Let the construction begin. With this and Emerald Park across the street both under going construction, Yonge/Sheppard will never be the same again. This change will make a tremendous improvement to a very important node in the city that currently is only 1/4th developed with large open parking lots/bus terminals on 3 of 4 corners of the site. Crazy! That will mostly be replaced by these two beauties over the next 3 years. I can't wait.

Some pretty EPIC news! I'm sure we'll be seeing some hardcore excavation next month!

If you think about it, Hullmark will be the tallest skyscraper north of Yorkville in Canada!... epic stuff! I'm real excited for this one!

Not to rag on you for being TO centric... but uhm... Calgary and Vancouver have towers taller then Hullmark and are more northerly...

Let the construction begin. With this and Emerald Park across the street both under going construction, Yonge/Sheppard will never be the same again. This change will make a tremendous improvement to a very important node in the city that currently is only 1/4th developed with large open parking lots/bus terminals on 3 of 4 corners of the site. Crazy! That will mostly be replaced by these two beauties over the next 3 years. I can't wait.

Dont forget the Gibson Square towers which will be just around the corner.

Gibson Square is too far north to have an impact on Yonge and Sheppard. You may notice them looking up Yonge, but the number of buildings between Sheppard and Empress will drown out Gibson Square.

Not to rag on you for being TO centric... but uhm... Calgary and Vancouver have towers taller then Hullmark and are more northerly...

Wouldn't Montreal, with Place Ville Marie, the CIBC Tower, etc. (which I believe would all be taller than the Hallmark Centre) rate as being more northerly than Toronto as well?

AHK

Last edited:
Yes, the only part of Canada outside Ontario that is further south than Toronto is the southern tip of Nova Scotia.

Toronto, Ontario: 43° 40′ N
Clark's Harbour, Nova Scotia: 43° 26′ N (southern tip of Nova Scotia)
Oakville, Ontario: 43° 25′ N

For the sake of comparison:

Antigonish, Nova Scotia: 45° 37′ N (at the northern end of Nova Scotia mainland)
Ottawa, Ontario: 45° 19′ N
Midland, Ontario: 44° 45′ N
Halifax, Nova Scotia: 44° 39′ N
Barrie, Ontario: 44° 24′ N

Mainland Nova Scotia lies roughly at the same latitude as Ottawa down to Oakville.

Last edited:

Oh! I meant like North of Toronto in a straight line! Not including the west coast!!! Sorry for my lack of explanation :D!

Back