40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Now this is sad.

Shelter's president, chief veterinarian and three others face criminal charges after Globe and Mail investigation uncovered widespread problems; board of directors also charged with provincial offence of cruelty to animals

Police have arrested the Toronto Humane Society's president, chief veterinarian and three other senior staff members and charged them with animal cruelty, six months after a Globe and Mail investigation revealed widespread troubles at the shelter.

At the same time, the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals executed a search warrant at the shelter's River Street facility late Thursday afternoon.

Humane Society president Tim Trow is facing Criminal Code charges of animal cruelty, conspiracy to commit cruelty to animals and obstruction of a peace officer. If convicted, Mr. Trow faces a maximum penalty of $2,000 and six months in jail for the animal cruelty charges, and two years in jail for the obstruction charges.

Head veterinarian Steve Sheridan, shelter manager Gary McCracken, manager Romeo Bernadino and shelter supervisor Andy Bechtel have also been arrested and face animal cruelty charges.

All of the above, as well as the Society's board of directors, are also being charged with five counts of animal cruelty, a provincial offence under the Ontario SPCA Act (as opposed to criminal charges).

"This is a difficult day for the Ontario SPCA and the Toronto Humane Society, but it is necessary to protect the lives of animals," OSPCA chief executive officer Kate MacDonald said in a statement.

"We realize that the THS is capable of providing an important public service, but it could not fulfill its responsibilities until this action was taken.

"Our first priority is the safety of the animals currently in the THS facility. Our team of veterinarians will assess their health and take appropriate actions. We believe the THS can become an important animal welfare facility again in the near future with effective and responsible management," Ms. MacDonald said.

Humane Society spokesman Ian McConachie said that OSPCA investigators and Toronto police officers had entered the shelter.

"I have no details about why they came, they said they had a warrant, the staff was assembled in the lobby and they asked me to leave," he said.

Mr. McConachie said that pepper spray was used on a dog on the second floor. He said this happened near a group of recovering kittens and he is concerned for their health.

The Globe and Mail's investigation revealed that animals inside the shelter were suffering and dying unnecessarily in their cages rather than being euthanized. Internal documents and interviews with dozens of current and former staff members raised allegations that Mr. Trow and some shelter managers intimidated staff into keeping euthanasia numbers low, ignoring veterinary opinions and mismanaging charitable dollars.

The OSPCA launched its investigation following The Globe's series. So many employees and volunteers clamoured to talk to the OSPCA about the long-standing troubles at the shelter that the OSPCA hired a private investigator to help carry out the probe.

The OSPCA, which is funded by private donations, also called on the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee, part of Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney-General, to appoint an interim supervisor to oversee the THS.

Documents leaked to The Globe in September show that the public guardian, which is charged with investigating complaints about charities, has known of the dysfunction at the THS for more than three years but has so far failed to act.

Since The Globe's stories were published, the THS has launched a number of lawsuits against former staff members and the OSPCA funded with money donated for animal care.

None of the charges against Mr. Trow or other senior staff at the shelter have been tested in court.

In interviews with The Globe and Mail, more than 20 current and former employees, volunteers, and visitors described Mr. Trow as a combative man with a sharp temper whose iron grip on the Toronto Humane Society has hurt the very animals he was supposed to protect.

They said the situation was made worse by the fact that Mr. Trow, a former provincial civil servant in his early sixties, controls virtually every aspect of the shelter's operations.

He is volunteer president of the society's board of directors and manages the shelter's day-to-day operations, a job typically held by a salaried professional in non-profit organizations.

Mr. Trow's first tenure as president, in 1982, lasted little more than year. It ended after five directors wrote to then-mayor Arthur Eggleton accusing society officers of “fiscal irresponsibility, improper conduct of society business,” and implementing policies causing cruelty to animals, and asking for Mr. Trow's resignation. In 1983, the board agreed to an interim takeover by the city and Mr. Trow resigned.

Mr. Trow was elected president for the second time in 2001.

Following the Globe's investigation, the OSPCA suspended the THS's affiliate status and sent inspectors to the River Street facility. Insiders later told the Globe that they were instructed by management to hide some ailing cats from the OSPCA investigators.

Their animal cruelty investigation has continued for six months, during which the current board of directors passed a motion to renew their support for Mr. Trow, and Mr. Trow effectively re-elected himself as president by carrying more than 700 proxy votes signed over to him by members.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...arged-with-cruelty-to-animals/article1378385/

Last edited:
The root of the problem is that Mr Trow was so against euthanasia, that all the animals had to suffer.

Reading this just helped me put two and two together on something.

I had always noticed my street had an unusual number of papers this year, pasted up and then quickly ripped down, protesting cruelty at the THS. I know posters go up all over, but it semeed odd that a quiet North Toronto residential street would be targeted for a constant postering campaing about this specific issue.

Then last night, walking down the street, I saw OSPCA constables talking to someone on the front lawn of their house, who was obviously upset.

I'm guessing one of the THS staff lived on the street and they were being targetted.

EDIT: A quick phone book search confirmed it's Tim Trow himself!

Last edited:
This really saddened me and my girlfriend yesterday. We have two guinea pigs who we adopted from the humane society two years ago after they had spent 2 weeks in the shelter. As much as they're in a great home now (their cage alone takes up 12 square feet of our apartment!) we were really sad to think of what they might have gone through in the 2 weeks they were there. We're just glad we got them out of there and into our home.

Apparently things like donations have been mishandled as well. We were going to donate to them for Christmas, specifically requesting that the money go towards guinea pigs and other small animals since they're often overlooked, but after reading this expose, we doubt our money would have gone towards what we hoped.

It's a sad situation and it's even tougher because the animals have no voice. An overhaul of the THS is the only way for change to occur and hopefully all of this will lead to just that.

this has easily tarnished the reputation of the THS and therefore people might stop donating funds which will cause animals to suffer.

this has easily tarnished the reputation of the THS and therefore people might stop donating funds which will cause animals to suffer.
Might? I think we are long past that. I know people who used to volunteer there, who had no involvement in or knowledge of any of the politics ... who won't go near the place now.

Right or wrong, if the current board had any interest in the welfare of animals they would resign now, to try and save the organization.

Boy, this guy and his goons just pulled Michael Vick in this one. This is just too despicable. In Canada.

Will he get a "second chance" like Vick did?

He got a second chance. He was ousted in the '80s. This is awful. I hope Toronto Animal Services can fill the slack.

He got a second chance. He was ousted in the '80s. This is awful. I hope Toronto Animal Services can fill the slack.

Yeah, but the rub is that they kill 50-75% of the animals they get it from what I've read. Of course the statistic I'm thinking of was from THS but still.

That poor frigging cat in the trap found in the ceiling.

I've had about a dozen cats from THS (foster kittens) and never had an issue with them, but now I wonder about the poor little buggers that we sent back.

here's something to ponder:

is it good morality to euthanize a sick dieing animal that does not want to die?

Back