http://lrt-mississauga.brampton.ca/...-Plan/Hurontario_Master_Plan_Final_LowRes.pdf

The MCC loop was part of the 2010 Master Plan that resulted from the Hurontario-Main corridor study that began in 2008. If you know of an earlier plan, then please let us know.
I remember seeing earlier "plans"/maps in media reports that did not show any loop.....just a straight up H/M route....that is the point of my post......I had thought/been led to believe that the loop got added in sometime between the initial idea of this (2007/2008) becoming public and the master plan in 2010......but I can't find that stuff and the CAO is saying the loop was always in the plan (ie. I know it has been in there since 2010...but I did not think it always was).

I actually remember a several years back, they were planning to build transitway down the middle of Rathburn that would be for the BRT for a few years and then used for the LRT. I don't remember any version of the LRT without the MCC loop.

And personally, I am against the loop. The CCTT is for connecting to the BRT. That was the reason it was located where it is. The BRT already intersects with Hurontario, so there is no need to bring the LRT to CCTT to connect with the BRT.

Furthermore the CCTT is operating at like 2 times or 3 times its capacity. The terminal was designed for 20,000 passenger per day but now there are over 40,000 people using it per day and multiple bus routes have to share the same bus bays because there is no room. The terminal platform is congested with passengers and the terminal loop is congested with buses even now. Imagine what it would be like with LRT that is projected to carry 120,000 riders per day, plus a Mississauga Transitway that is fully complete.

Furthermore, most of these bus routes already are intersect with Hurontario Street itself, so there would not be any need for their riders to go all the way to CCTT to transfer to the LRT.

LRT to CCTT would impede the operation of buses at CCTT, execerbate its overcapacity problem, and inconvenience many riders of not only the LRT, but also of other routes at the CCTT and on the BRT.

I think if anything Mississauga Transit needs to take buses out of the CCTT loop. 20 Rathburn extended to Erindale was a good start. Before that there was 202 Hurontario Express (now 103 Hurontario Express). Now they need to take out the 19 Hurontario as well. A small, secondary terminal could be built at Hurontario for certain routes (6, 9, 61) to connect to the LRT.

upload_2015-10-23_10-58-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-23_10-58-17.png
    upload_2015-10-23_10-58-17.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 538
And because we can't click links in images, that's referring to
http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...tigation-into-land-deals-in-city-s-north-end/
Mayor calls for investigation into land deals in city’s north end

Brampton Mayor Linda Jeffrey has added a large tract of land in the city’s north end to the list of planning deals she wants provincial authorities to investigate.

At an Oct. 5 planning committee meeting, Jeffrey, presiding over an increasingly fractured council, saw a motion calling for another round of public consultations on land use policies in northwest Brampton fail, prompting her to level accusations that proper planning procedures were not followed.

“I believe there are questionable activities surrounding the land use planning exercises for this secondary plan area,” said Jeffrey who supported revisiting land use policies in the area known as Heritage Heights after hearing from a select group of local landowners concerned they have been largely shut out of discussions on how the 4,200 acres of land should be developed.

[...]

Palleschi tabled a motion that essentially boosts public engagement and ensures development in that area moves along.

His motion won, which fuelled accusations from the mayor’s camp that Palleschi is placating a group of landowners who also happen to support him politically.

The mayor is increasingly facing stiff opposition from her council colleagues on a number of issues, including on a controversial Light Rail Transit plan that is expected to lose on Tuesday (Oct. 27) with Palleschi’s help.

In a follow up interview, Palleschi gave a very curt response. He said approvals in northwest Brampton have been done legally and according to planning standards.

"All development in Wards 2 and 6 is managed in accordance with the applicable provincial and municipal legislation," Palleschi told The Guardian in an email.

geez....the only part of the image that was relevant to this thread was the statement from a local city hall reporter that the Mayor was likely facing defeat on HMLRT.....the link is about an unrelated story about different interpretations of how the planning department works....writer just reporting that some are calling the moves as being linked by Mayor's desperation.

The last vote was a 5 - 5 vote and before the last councillor cast his vote he moved for a deferment with a period of facilitation. That individual happens to be the son of a former regional councilor that some thought of as being "close" to developers and the Mayor bringing this up is a "threat"....vote against the HMLRT and I will go after your pappa.

So there is some pretty cutthroat politics going on in Brampton at this moment.

Will it be that big of a loss for the region if the Hurontario line doesn't reach Brampton?

So there is some pretty cutthroat politics going on in Brampton at this moment.

Nothing new there.

Will it be that big of a loss for the region if the Hurontario line doesn't reach Brampton?

Well, it will always reach Brampton because the vote is on the route north of Steeles...it will extend into Brampton as far as Shopper's World even if there is a "no" vote.

But if your question is really "is it a big loss if it does not extend north of Steeles at this time"...

In my opinion, no not much

It's certainly a hit to the overall multiplicative benefits of increased RER service at Brampton GO.
lots of time to worry about that....the first phase of ReR (whenever it happens) stops at Bramalea.

One of the carrots that the proponents of the LRT held out was future expansion north of Nelson to where more people live in Brampton.....stopping it at Steeles only means that that potential Phase would be from Steeles not Nelson if it ever happened.

lots of time to worry about that....the first phase of ReR (whenever it happens) stops at Bramalea.

One of the carrots that the proponents of the LRT held out was future expansion north of Nelson to where more people live in Brampton.....stopping it at Steeles only means that that potential Phase would be from Steeles not Nelson if it ever happened.
Well, improvements have already begun, with the somewhat haphazard hourly mid-day service.

i.e. A hypothetical couple, in the LRT future, where one works somewhere near/on Hurontario in northern Mississauga, and one works downtown Toronto, might look at options near GO stations.
Near Port Credit? On LRT, all day half-hour GO, more expensive
Near Cooksville? On LRT, only peak GO trains
Near Brampton? Almost all-day hourly GO... but have to take a bus to the LRT

Whether the LRT is built to Brampton GO won't make too large a difference for everyone right now, it will certainly influence the choices of where people choose to live in the future.

I was in Brampton yesterday, so I made a point of walking the northernmost couple of blocks of Hurontario just to see what kind of rustic small town downtown was in jeopardy.

I found: A pawn shop, a tattoo parlour, a nails joint, a hair stylist, a couple of clothing stores, a realtor, and (north of the tracks) a couple more hair stylists and the John Howard Society. And a Subway. (what bustling commercial block doesn't have a Subway?)

None of these businesses will survive an uptick in rents, which is inevitable when the downtown does intensify - LRT or no LRT. Eliminating on-street parking as a consequence of putting the LRT up there will have no effect whatsoever. There is currently lots of back-street parking, btw. I can't imagine that the owners of these buildings are concerned about LRT - they will just raise the rents and whoever can afford them will move in.

Seems like a very small and select group of noisy opponents, if you ask me.

- Paul

Last edited:
I was in Brampton yesterday, so I made a point of walking the northernmost couple of blocks of Hurontario just to see what kind of rustic small town downtown was in jeopardy.

I found: A pawn shop, a tattoo parlour, a nails joint, a hair stylist, a couple of clothing stores, a realtor, and (north of the tracks) a couple more hair stylists and the John Howard Society. And a Subway. (what bustling commercial block doesn't have a Subway?)

You walked the wrong bit...it is the stretch from Nanwood to Queen ppl (not me) are shouting about.

Former premier Bill Davis weighs in on LRT plan ahead of vote

See link.

In a letter sent to the mayor and councillors, Davis indicates his opposition to the province’s proposed surface route alignment that would drive an LRT line right by his Main Street residence.

“Most of you, I expect, are aware that I am personally opposed to a surface route alignment of the LRT along Main Street. My reasons are sincerely held and perhaps should be shared more publicly before Oct. 27,” writes Davis in a letter dated Oct. 20 forwarded to The Guardian. “But should I choose to do that it will be done in my role as a citizen living here with an opinion on the matter.”

Now if the Hurontario/Main was an ICTS/RT, which is to be replaced in Scarborough, maybe Bill Davis would have accepted it.

The politics of this thing took a very weird turn this evening.

The reporter noted above happened to be at the courthouse on another matter on Friday when he saw a bunch of familiar faces wandering around and entering a court....he went in and saw something that no one could have predicted.

A city councillor was facing an injunction preventing him from participating in the vote on the HMLRT and the start of a process to remove him from office for, allegedly, lying on his nomination papers. While born in Brampton, he does not live in or own property in Brampton (which is a prerequisite for the office) but used his parents address as his on his nomination papers. The councillor is Martin Medeiros and he is an ally of the Mayor on just about everything including this transit line.

Here is the story that broke this evening while everyone was watching baseball.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...n-councillor-on-eve-of-historic-transit-vote/

and what I think should happen.

Toarea Fan ‏@TOareaFan 3h3 hours ago
@iPolitypus @shillmon sounds like he lied....shld not have seat...but vote should not happen without those wards being repped.....#postpone?

Back