A spokesperson for Metrolinx told The News the Province would cover the “capital costs,” which includes the majority of the infrastructure required to implement a fully functioning LRT system – light rail vehicles track, light rail vehicles, stops and related furnishings, streetscape features, traction power substations, overhead catenary and the maintenance and storage facility.

“In addition, protection and/or relocation of utilities and road widening, where required, would also fall under the provincial commitment,” said Vanesa Barrasa, senior advisor of strategic communications for Metrolinx.

Now I find that interesting. Didn't GO and Toronto have a spat over utility relocations during Georgetown South?

Metrolinx has now officially chopped "-Main" from the name. Also, new map for the project:

Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-573x371.jpg

I was waiting for that. I feel sorry for the residents of Brampton that they were so horribly let down by their elected officials who couldn't abide by their own planning staff's recommendation.

The thread name should be changed as well since it's now officially simply the Hurontario LRT. TBH it's a better name anyway.

And if Metrolinx tries to change the name of Dundas or Eglinton stations due to "duplicate" names with the same stations in Toronto, I'll have a fucking meltdown.

So I decided to tweet a suggestion to Brad Ross and Metrolinx:

@bradTTC @Metrolinx I suggest renaming Eglinton stn to Eglinton-Yonge so that Eglinton on the Hurontario LRT isn't a duplicate when it opens

Last edited:
So when will we start seeing proper advertisements and PR stuff for this project? Most of the images I've seen don't even show Flexity LRVs, and seem to be lower quality renders similar to Transit City. I think once the public is greeted with well made presentations Brampton councillors will seriously rue their decision and start pleading for an extension. Also, do we know what colour the livery will be? Or will it be standard Metrolinx green?

While I'm fine with the project for now being called Hurontario LRT, the line needs a name, as will a system in the future. The Hurontario Line or Line 1 or what ever colour they assign it should all be acceptable. As for the system MiMetro has a nice ring to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metrolinx has now officially chopped "-Main" from the name. Also, new map for the project:

Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-573x371.jpg

It will be interesting to see what Mississauga's rapid transit system looks like by 2030. Here is a map of Bonnie Crombie's transit plan from the 2014 election. I know a lot won't be built but it is interesting as a placeholder. Also note the loop on the Hurontario LRT is missing from her map. Would the next big Mississauga project be the Dundas BRT/LRT?
mcI9lIy.png

I think our 2 next priorities should be RER on the Milton Line and converting the Transitway to LRT. That would be a very solid backbone to build a transit system on. But I do think BRT along Dundas would be great, additionally BRT on Brittania, Erin Mills Pkwy, and Dixie would also seem appropriate.

It will be interesting to see what Mississauga's rapid transit system looks like by 2030. Here is a map of Bonnie Crombie's transit plan from the 2014 election. I know a lot won't be built but it is interesting as a placeholder. Also note the loop on the Hurontario LRT is missing from her map. Would the next big Mississauga project be the Dundas BRT/LRT?

For simplicity sake, I hope they stick with BRT. We need to be thinking inter-regionally. So make a one-seat ride from Dundas (Hamilton) to Kipling/Islington be possible.

It's the same reason I'm in flavour of not splitting up the Eglinton corridor into four separate rapid transit services (MiWay Transitway, SmartTrack, Crosstown, Scarborough Malvern LRT) when one, continuous line could suffice.

When the hell did an LRT on Derry Rd become necessary? And how is that a "possible extension of Hurontario LRT", as per the legend?

Service on the 42 Derry needs to drastically improve before even considering LRT. I wish, for instance, they'd eliminate the milk-run Mavis-Goodenham Estates-Old Derry-Creditview-Financial-Meadowvale Blvd-Syntex jog. A 142 Derry express needs to run straight across Derry and only stop at Glen Erin, Argentia, Financial, Mavis, McLaughlin, Hurontario, Kennedy, Tomken, Dixie, Bramlea, Torbram, Airport and Goreway in-between Meadowvale Town Ctr. and Westwood Mall.

It's the same reason I'm in favour of not splitting up the Eglinton corridor into four separate rapid transit services (MiWay Transitway, SmartTrack, Crosstown, Scarborough Malvern LRT) when one, continuous line could suffice.

Exactly, now this is all hypothetical/wishful-thinking, but...

The Transitway once converted to LRT, it should in the west end go past Ridgeway and then continue to follow the 403 south to where ever they place the new station being studied on the Lakeshore West line. In the east, the Crosstown should stop at Eglinton Go on the Lakeshore East line. People should be able to take a train from Oakville to Scarborough without having to transfer. It could be a gateway for people from the east and west parts of the GTA to Square One, the "Airport Corporate Centre" and Midtown Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was brought to my attention tonight that the LRT south of Port Credit GO Station was removed from the EA sometime ago by council.

Either I miss this meeting for it, flew over my head or miss understand what was taking place. I always understood the extension was on hold until master transportation study was done.

Provision has been made for the line to go south at some future date.

Given the city track record it may happen by 2040, but on who dime? The long range Big Move does call for the extension on the Lakeshore to Long Branch and maybe funding of that line will cover the extension to Lakeshore, but not to the west nor underground.

The thinking is still for the line to go under Lakeshore to somewhere west of the Port Credit River to Hurontario. This means the portal on Hurontario will be south of Park St in the middle and will require a T connection for the line to go east. Where will the portal be for the east section is unknown and may surface after the master transportation study is done on the Lakeshore.

As for LRT on Derry Rd, 2050 is the earliest to see one since ridership is the pits as well the quality of service. There will be other places that will demand LRT before Derry.

I don't see the Smart Track on Eglinton and Crosstown can do it.

The Ridgeway BRT station was removed Transitway plan years ago due to cost and next to no ridership. GO will never service this station.

MiWay will never carry the ridership to justify an LRT since it can't get to the Kipling Station without transferring to buses at Renforth. Better off as a BRT in the full hydro corridor to Ridgeway.

Back