Is that the same official plan that has the entire length of Main shown as a BRT corridor? Or is there a different version (honest question....but this is the transit schedule listed on the city's web page).

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Online-Services/maps/Planning Design and Development/Official Plan/Schedule C Transit Network.pdf

I was simply focusing on the alignment of Main, which you're right from"Schedule C Transit Network" is identifies the technology as BRT for the corridor. From the legend box it does say "2006".

That is though why I wrote "and other master plan docs" because on another part of the City's website they have the "Transportation Master Plan (TMP) 2015" noting "Brampton City Council approved the draft Transportation Master Plan in principle on July 8, 2015, pending a 30-day public review period. Please find the final transportation Master Plan Report, and technical background reports below." In the final report for the TMP, page 75 figure 26, it again shows Main but this time LRT to Brampton GO. From the TMP's exec summary: "Key plans influencing this TMPU are the Province’s Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (2006), Amendment 2 to the Growth Plan (2013), Metrolinx’s The Big Move Regional Transportation Plan (2008), the Region of Peel Official Plan and Long Range Transportation Plan, as well the City of Brampton’s Strategic Plan, Official Plan and other important plans such as the Hurontario-Main Street Corridor Master Plan." (bold added).

Further: "Central to the vision of the Brampton TMPU is planning for 2041 population and employment forecasts, implementation of the Hurontario-Main Light Rail Transit (LRT) and two-way, all-day GO Rail service to the three train stations in Brampton. Coupled with the expansion of the City’s ZÜM transit network and improvements to the active transportation network, the City is providing viable options to facilitate travel by modes other than the personal automobile." (bold added).

So, in my opinion, I think it's fair to look at both maps together. There was also the HMLRT Master Plan process before that. So, I think it's also relevant for the context and what should have been considered.

Attachments

• TMP.png
    TMP.png
    956.1 KB · Views: 264
So, in my opinion, I think it's fair to look at both maps together. There was also the HMLRT Master Plan process before that. So, I think it's also relevant for the context and what should have been considered.

I think it is not only fair to look at it all together...it is necessary.....and what we know is that things change and evolve over time.....because they take so long, masterplans can't change that often and I believe municipalities have to be flexible and a bit more dynamic than simply pointing to a master plan and saying "see this can (or can't) happen because 5 (or whatever) years ago we said this".

My reference to municipalities changing the route was (as I hope it was obvious) a joke. There were a lot of discussions (more serious) where I wondered why Brampton was being treated differently than others for trying to make a change in the LRT........and this joke I made last week was a reference to that.

I think people around here know that I have never been opposed to the Main route....I have wondered (as I mentioned) why the city should get "punished" for trying to amend the route.....my problem with HMLRT was always the L not the M ;).....once that part was decided I am just an observer who makes the odd comment here or there.

As a fairly frequent (not daily) user of Brampton Transit and an occasional user of transit down to Port Credit GO, it is a bit disturbing that this new investment in transit is likely going to have the net effect of increasing my travel times on that route because of the decision attributed to Mississauga Council.....likely reducing the number of times I do it.

Is the LRT being built so that when it is wanted, it could be extended at either end with minimal disruptions to the future existing LRT?

The report that went to Mississauga General Committee in the spring stated that the underground Port Credit Terminal will be built to "protect for" a future southward extension. However that southward extension is unlikely because the Lakeshore Road transportation study is recommending extending the Streetcar from Long Branch to Mississauga Road instead of an extension of the LRT.

The Brampton Gateway stop is being built on the south side of Steeles so an extension can be built north on Main, or east or west on Steeles.

Is the LRT being built so that when it is wanted, it could be extended at either end with minimal disruptions to the future existing LRT?
The south end will be underground requiring a tunnel on the rest of Hurontario to the Lakeshore a well on the Lakeshore. Do you do a cut and cover or use a TBM?

The north end can go any directions since its on the south side of Steeles with the intersection being torn up as well the road its on for the extension.

Major hydro work taking place on Hurontario at the Milton line with the overhead going underground if the plan is on course.

Waterline being built north from Burnhamthorpe to Sq One Dr and then west on Sq One Dr.

The report that went to Mississauga General Committee in the spring stated that the underground Port Credit Terminal will be built to "protect for" a future southward extension. However that southward extension is unlikely because the Lakeshore Road transportation study is recommending extending the Streetcar from Long Branch to Mississauga Road instead of an extension of the LRT.

The Brampton Gateway stop is being built on the south side of Steeles so an extension can be built north on Main, or east or west on Steeles.
That was the same conclusion I came up for not seeing the LRT extended to the Lakeshore. Can't see a Hurontario T servicing a line that will run east-west, which will be underground from Mississauga Rd to some where east of Hurontario, where it will run on the surface to Toronto thats has more road width for it.

Agree for the north, as noted above.

I was on Hurontario yesterday, saw the utility work north of the CP tracks. A little further south, I happened upon two seniors in walkers, roughly 75-80, trying to cross Hurontario mid-block to get to Shoppers.

My initial reaction was "are they nuts?" but a look in the mirror told me that from mid-block, going all the way north to King or south to Paisley and then doubling back was an awful long way for the mobility impaired. I could understand the temptation to attempt the crossing, even though it was close to suicidal.

Not arguing for any changes to HLRT, but just noting that Hurontario has huge distances between pedestrian crossings, and transitioning Hurontario to a "walkable" street will have to result in more frequent crossings, either automatic lights or pedestrian crosswalks, going in some day. LRT operations will be affected by these mid-stop crossings, even if the stops stay where they are.

- Paul

I was on Hurontario yesterday, saw the utility work north of the CP tracks. A little further south, I happened upon two seniors in walkers, roughly 75-80, trying to cross Hurontario mid-block to get to Shoppers.

My initial reaction was "are they nuts?" but a look in the mirror told me that from mid-block, going all the way north to King or south to Paisley and then doubling back was an awful long way for the mobility impaired. I could understand the temptation to attempt the crossing, even though it was close to suicidal.

Not arguing for any changes to HLRT, but just noting that Hurontario has huge distances between pedestrian crossings, and transitioning Hurontario to a "walkable" street will have to result in more frequent crossings, either automatic lights or pedestrian crosswalks, going in some day. LRT operations will be affected by these mid-stop crossings, even if the stops stay where they are.

- Paul
You know Mississauga was built for cars and pedestrians aren't allow to walk the streets???

The east side of Hurontario south of Dundas have longer blocks than the west side.

That crossing is highly used to get get to the plaza as well the dumb southbound stop that was put in a few years ago. Both bus stops shouldn't be there in the first place.

We will have to wait until this area gets the LRT and having the road seeing 2 less lane of traffic, but they will become more heavy used than the current 3 each way. if Hurontario becomes walkable.

You know Mississauga was built for cars and pedestrians aren't allow to walk the streets???

The east side of Hurontario south of Dundas have longer blocks than the west side.

That crossing is highly used to get get to the plaza as well the dumb southbound stop that was put in a few years ago. Both bus stops shouldn't be there in the first place.

We will have to wait until this area gets the LRT and having the road seeing 2 less lane of traffic, but they will become more heavy used than the current 3 each way. if Hurontario becomes walkable.

A product of the 1960's to serve the demigods, the automobiles. Time for the streets to return to serve the people.

does anyone know the details of the pc tunnel, where will the portal be i havent been able to find that out

I'm pretty sure it was on the roll plans at the June LRT meetings. If I remember correctly the LRT tracks crossover the southbound lanes of Hurontario south of the traffic light at Inglewood. The portal would be just north of the rail bridge.

The portal is on the north side of the RR bridge.

Jan 15

Major hydro work taking place north of the CP bridge on the east side with sidewalk close and the relocation of the bus stop to Fairview. This is only phase one for hydro work.

The City instructed all Utilities that any work plan for 2022-2030 had to be done by 2020, since they would not allow any construction to take place for them and road for a minimum of 10 years after the LRT started up around 2022. Only emergency work would be allow.

There is a hydro substation next to the Milton Line on the east side.
24997006937_8dc44ed088_b.jpg

39157805794_10d48a8113_b.jpg

39157803804_fb6d719dba_b.jpg

39835900142_26f1ba9508_b.jpg

39835899492_c3d15cb8b9_b.jpg

39835898632_36b7789bb8_b.jpg

Not, strictly, LRT related but it will have an impact on future discussions.

The city of Brampton is beginning its $30MM downtown streetscaping project which will see, among other things, Main Street (from Nelson south to Wellington) and Queen Street (from Chapel west to Mill) reduced to 1 lane of vehicular traffic.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/co...ntown-brampton-set-to-undergo-major-makeover/

For anyone looking to revive the LRT straight up Main this will present an additional challenge as they will now have to sell it on the basis of, essentially, a car free Main Street in that area. That, I think, just makes that route a lot tougher to revive.

^ A car-free Main Street wouldn't be the only option, as can be seen in systems around the world. The reality is that there are a lot of variables with anything north of Gateway in any way that gets to Brampton GO. So, hard to predict one aspect out weighing everything else. Just my perspective which some may disagree/agree with.

Back