That is hilariously bad. The loop is far too large to be useful. What if your destination is at Steeles and Kennedy and you are coming from Hurontario? you have a 20 minute loop to get around to it. The utility of it is useless as you would effectively only be able to use the service in a single direction, as the other direction would have massive time penalties.

Mind you the Brampton LRT debacle is hilarous in general. The detour being considered is ridiculous. It hits no real ridership generators and does nothing but add huge amounts of travel time, even for the McMurchy option. The only real solution is to go straight up Main Street.

Long time reader first time poster. A group that calls itself New Brampton is promoting a LRT route in Brampton that would be a large unidirectional loop. Starting at Gateway at Hurontario/Steeles/Main, this LRT route would run west on Steeles, north on McLaughlin or McMurchy, east on Queen to the Brampton GO Station, continue east to Kennedy, and then run south on Kennedy, back to Gateway. I believe the total length would be 12 km. They are asking some existing Councillors and potential Council candidates to support the idea.

Articles: https://www.bramptonguardian.com/co...-community-leaders-to-hold-town-hall-meeting/

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/op...-headed-for-a-battle-over-university-campus-/

According to their vision document, it seems like they're not proposing the above, but an alternate 2-way route along McMurchy, then east on Queen.

Where are they talking about a McLaughlin/Kennedy loop?

Last edited:
According to their vision document, it seems like they're not proposing the above, but an alternate 2-way route along McMurchy, then east on Queen.

Where are they talking about a McLaughlin/Kennedy loop?

My friend Kevin was at the meeting and heard one of the presenters verbally mention it. So their plan might have changed since their map/report was done.

They had a meeting last night and I think that is where they unveiled the useless IMO-directional route.

https://twitter.com/toareafan/status/953638041951797248

My friend Kevin was at the meeting and heard one of the presenters verbally mention it. So their plan might have changed since their map/report was done.

Well if so, that's an incredibly useless route. If they're really not going to go for Main, then might as well do Kennedy, where they have more right-of-way, and at least some density, and potential for more.

Great new map from Metrolinx emphasizing the HuLRT, and the future Peel transit network (source):

peel-map-en-large.jpg

Ironically, it was Brampton Transit’s move away from useless one-way loops and to a grid of core routes and Züm corridors that drove the impressive ridership growth there.

These “New Brampton” folks sound like the same old white Tories that have stood in the way of progress in Brampton for far too long.

On the subject of the location of the 403 crossing, a report which is going to Mississauga General Committee about relocating City Centre Transit Terminal gives an overview of the Downtown LRT Route. Item 8.1 Appendix 1. https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/general/2018/2018_1_17_GC_Agenda.pdf
This is one of the two options begin considered for Transitway Routing, but both show the same Downtown alignment for the LRT.
View attachment 132310
How will that loop around square one work? Will every second train go around and others will go straight up hurontario?

How will that loop around square one work? Will every second train go around and others will go straight up hurontario?
That was the initial plan, but they have now changed it so northbound trains from Port Credit will loop one way and back to PC. Southbound trains from Brampton Gateway Terminal will loop in the opposite direction back to BGT.

Is there an updated track layout available? One showing the tail tracks, sidings, wyes, and non-revenue tracks?

That was the initial plan, but they have now changed it so northbound trains from Port Credit will loop one way and back to PC. Southbound trains from Brampton Gateway Terminal will loop in the opposite direction back to BGT.

This is news to me: I thought that was the special events/emergency configuration. But unless they also have trains going straight up Hurontario, they can hardly call that one line. It's really two lines - Hurontario North and Hurontario South.

Back