There is talk that some routes are to be moved out of Sq One once construction starts on Rathburn this year for the ROW. The way I am hearing, the curb lane will be use using the sidewalk as a platform and have no issue with that. Will see what construction brings.

I go back to what I said about the #26 staying on Burnhamthorpe 100% some years ago as it would save riders 15 minutes bypassing Sq One. Only a couple minute extra walking distance to Sq One and no big deal if you are going there in the first place.

The only thing I and MT staff don't know is how many riders are transferring to another route and what route. If it is the 3, 8, 19, 61, 28, 6 they can do that off Burnhamthorpe with no problem.

If it is another route, will require an extra transfer and maybe more travel time.

Going to anything less than LRT is a waste of everyone time and money.

From what I was told last fall to now, be prepare to hear BRT is the way to go. It was LRT in the fall and now looking like BRT. Zum starts next year from Brampton to Sq One that will replace the 102.

Zum taking over the 102 is the only bit of good news - the route - in its entirety from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton - is more than worthy of LRT, especially stacked up to some of the Transit City corridors.

Zum taking over the 102 is the only bit of good news - the route - in its entirety from Port Credit to Downtown Brampton - is more than worthy of LRT, especially stacked up to some of the Transit City corridors.

I agree with you considering I started the push to have LRT go to Mayfield after MoveOntario2020 was release. It now in the RTP.

At Downtown 21 meeting last week, the plan calls for LRT with every other LRT by passing Sq One. As to headway unknown. Anything less than 10 minutes is going to cause problems for people living north of Sq One when they see 6-13 minute service now.

The BCA has gone to Metrolinx as of Friday calling for LRT and the case is to go to the board in March along with Hamilton LRT case.

There is to be a presntation before council in Feb and to go to the public in March.

From what I was told last fall to now, be prepare to hear BRT is the way to go. It was LRT in the fall and now looking like BRT. Zum starts next year from Brampton to Sq One that will replace the 102.

This may be in agreement with your "next year" comment or be updating it (depending on what you meant by "next year") but it is the latest schedule as posted on the transit section of brampton.ca No Zuming on Main Street until the Fall of 2011 (which is "next year" but a lot more than a year away...if you get what I am saying):

Queen Street (Fall 2010) – Downtown Brampton to York University
Main Street (Fall 2011) – Sandalwood Parkway to Mississauga City Centre
Steeles Avenue (Fall 2012) – Shoppers World to Humber College

http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/zum/Pages/welcome.aspx

If they decide to do BRT for Hurontario, I will be extremely disappointed.

Also, why is the Zum going all the way to MCC? That makes no sense to me.

And I really don't like how they name the BRT and LRT services different names. It's Brampton Transit, and that's what it should be called.

Because dumping people at Hurontario and 407 makes even more sense...

As for unique identities, it does help attract choice riders and builds a positive image of transit. Call it a bait-and-switch, but its international precedent.

Peel should run the transit system like Metro did in Toronto prior to the megacity merger. With a merger the services along Hurontario and around Malton would make more sense.

Marketing is what makes BRT. If you did not make the service distinct, riders would assume it's just a bus with fewer stops. I personally like VIVA just because it is unique from YRT, and does give an impression of providing better service.

That being said, having Zum go all the way to MCC just makes sense. Hurontario needs extra service to supplement the 19, and Zum should help in the short term.

Long term, Hurontario needs LRT from the Lakeshore all the way to Mayfield(or at least a split service)

My main issue is that if a seperate ROW infrastructure winds up getting built on Hurontario, it would be totally wasted if it were just for buses. Talk about cheap and half-assed, and nothing's going to change as long as Hazel is running the show.

If the LRT runs only in the middle of the road, it'll be ineffective and a serious waste of money...they might as well keep and improve the bus service. But if they actually build a real effective LRT line, that isn't at the mercy of complex left-turn signals and that runs under or over or beside the road where it can, and so on, it'll work. Mississauga and the province need to ignore how LRT is built in Toronto and copy what works in other cities...copy Calgary or Minneapolis, don't copy some heritage tram in a European city with very low car ownership rates and zero traffic on the roads and a long tradition of knowing how to properly operate the line.

Back