What an interesting argument, that because shovels are in the ground we shouldn't be criticizing the decision. Hmm...

I just hope that you stick to your own words.
This is no different than the skydome Rogers centre thread. A few people have some fantasy’s. Shovels are in the ground and people are constantly derailing the thread on what they would have done or what should have done. Maybe the angry mob in this group can join the angry mob in that group and you could have a Festivus for the rest of us.

This is no different than the skydome Rogers centre thread. A few people have some fantasy’s. Shovels are in the ground and people are constantly derailing the thread on what they would have done or what should have done. Maybe the angry mob in this group can join the angry mob in that group and you could have a Festivus for the rest of us.
I honestly have no idea what's going on with the Rogers Centre, and frankly I don't really care.

I honestly have no idea what's going on with the Rogers Centre, and frankly I don't really care.
the point is that this circular conversation derails the thread. If you cant understand that I dont know what to say. Maybe you just dont care. Just like you dont care that years of planning went into this. Years of voting went into this. Three levels of governments agreed to this. And construction has already past the point of no return on this.

SAFETY WALKS in 2023:

Safety is our number one priority and a shared responsibility. We would like to invite our CLC members to join our team on a safety walk of their corridor segment to observe construction and help identify where and how Metrolinx is able to improve safety for the community.

Corridor segments can be quite long, we look forward to hearing your suggestions for the best location for our safety walk.

d8763441-5bb1-0d15-7557-3fb9bf86a0cd.jpg

ONGOING and UPCOMING CONSTRUCION:

As the 2022 construction year nears completion, crews remain busy along the entire project corridor before shutting down for the holidays at the end of day on December 23, 2022, and returning on January 3, 2023. Here’s a snapshot of construction activity you can expect until the new year:

• Construction of service level wall continues at Port Credit Station.
  • Work on the abutments of Eaglewood Bridge continue.
  • Alectra duct bank works continue between Mineola Road and Pinewood Trail and between Harborn Road and Burnhamthorpe Road.
  • Wet utility works, including storm, sanitary, and watermain are currently concentrated between Hillcrest Avenue and Eglinton Avenue.
  • 23 girders have been installed so far for the elevated guideway.
  • Road widening continues between Kingsway Drive to Topflight Drive.

2022 MILESTONE RECAP​

As 2022 draws to a close, we’d like to take this opportunity to reflect on a remarkable year for the Hazel McCallion line. Having managed the many challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic over the past two years, 2022 marked a return to a new normality and the steady progression of construction along the Hurontario corridor.

Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility (OMSF)

Work at the Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility (OMSF) progressed significantly in 2022. The OMSF will be the hub of the new LRT transit line, with vehicles travelling along Topflight Drive and over a new bridge spanning Etobicoke Creek to reach the OMSF.

Inside the building, there’s a repair shop, vehicle cleaning facility, material storage, and capacity for 42 light rail vehicles being built by Alstom. Most of this construction is now complete.

Tracks were installed in the OMSF yard and building, along with mechanical and electrical works and finishings. The raised platform, used to access the top of the light rail vehicles, was also installed and painted.

34f01bbf-d0a2-2016-9489-491059b821c1.jpg

Guideway and track construction

Installing tracks along the roadway isn’t as simple as affixing rails to the ground. Crews first need to dig the roadway up, then dig down as deep as five feet to install the foundation of the guideway.

With track work at several intersections now complete including:
  • Hurontario Street & Sandstone Drive/Brunel Road
  • Hurontario Street & Milverton Drive/ Watline Avenue
  • Hurontario Street & Aldridge Street/Traders Boulevard
There is steady momentum for track installation going into the new year.

2363c5aa-cf6b-8be0-9bad-0e80d39e5fc3.jpg

Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) push box

Over a single weekend, crews installed a new underpass under the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) at Hurontario Street. The process involved using hydraulic jacks to push a push box weighing more than 6,000 tonnes into place.

The QEW push box will be the permanent underpass for northbound Hurontario traffic, allowing space for the Hazel McCallion Line tracks through the existing underpass along with the southbound Hurontario traffic.

In classic Canadian fashion, a lucky toonie was added to the underpass structure during the push and it did its job as the push was completed to plan, safely and successfully. Now, it will forever be part of the new underpass, bringing future LRT passengers good luck.

6fc75c6d-1256-95e6-0734-ac1f1634a948.jpg

Port Credit GO push box

Hurontario Street is seeing many firsts. After more than a year of preparatory work, crews building the Hazel McCallion line started the official push of a large concrete structure, or push box, underneath the Lakeshore West rail tracks at the Port Credit GO Station using the groundbreaking Verona System in a very first on Canadian soil. This push started in November and will wrap up in 2023.

551997af-33d0-57e1-05eb-69dd0edd6136.jpg

403 Flyover Progress

One of the more interesting parts of the Hazel McCallion LRT will be a new flyover bridge to allow the LRT to cross Highway 403.

This new structure will give the LRT its own route over the 403, minimizing any disruptions to vehicle traffic. The support columns and caps are being installed now, and the first girders of the new bridge are being put into place.

54396f17-95be-ea41-baab-44f6efe0e23f.jpg

Loss Time Injury Milestone

As of October 12, Mobilinx (the constructor of the Hazel McCallion LRT) has completed more than three million hours of work without a lost time injury (LTI).

A LTI is any incident that results in a disability or an employee missing work due to an injury. It’s an important key safety indicator in any construction project.

028af293-326c-4d19-aedc-fafbdb2e984b.jpg

I'm just going to leave these shots from Dec 18 here before I unsubscribe from this thread. The last few pages have really been way off topic. C'mon folks, let's, pardon the pun, stay on track.

DJI_0544.JPG
DJI_0547.JPG
DJI_0553.JPG
DJI_0558.JPG
DJI_0564e.jpg

Yes, I wonder indeed. Care to scroll back up and see?

It's not, but the discussion was not about Hurontario specifically. It was a strawman, posted in response to a picture of the elevated guideway, that "This must be the intrusive elevated rail everyone's talking about!"

Since this is neither an extended portion of elevated rail, nor does it make reference specifically to covering a suburban stroad, it feels appropriate to respond that some suburban hellscape is not the vision of urbanism I want to protect when I rail against elevated transit.
I already responded to that, but seems you chose to ignore it.

I'm just going to leave these shots from Dec 18 here before I unsubscribe from this thread. The last few pages have really been way off topic. C'mon folks, let's, pardon the pun, stay on track.

View attachment 446684View attachment 446685View attachment 446686View attachment 446687View attachment 446688
Forget about unsubscribing as its norm these days for threads to go off the rail and an pain to flip pass posting to see what is new. I sit on the sideline for a well until the thread(s) get back on topic.

Your shots hit the mark. The shot of the tracks confirmed what I thought when I saw a shot showing either a walkway or track that needs to be installed. Its a walkway next to the south track. It also shows the track bridge is wider than the box and I wasn't sure if it was when I first saw the track bridge.

Your 2nd shot shows the west wall to the right for the ROW to/from Hurontario and where the tracks will connect to the centre section, just about south of the New Englewood Intersection. The new west sidewalk is between the ROW wall and the Mary Fix Creek wall.

The work on the Mary Fix Creek has slow to a crawl as well the new Englewood Bridge. Lot more work done on the south end of the PC station.

Maybe there should be threads that focus merely on photos without discussion allowed. Frankly, I find some threads that are just endless redundant photos to be unreadable.

Eventually, when they replace the tracks due to wear and tear all the cement has to be Jackhammered apart?

Eventually, when they replace the tracks due to wear and tear all the cement has to be Jackhammered apart?
No

If the rails are fully encase in concrete, then the top coat of concrete will have to be remove to replace the rails that have to be replace. This will be at intersections

Exposed rails only needs the clips holding the rail in place removed and replaced once the new rail is in place. Lot faster doing this way with one track out of service.

Last edited:
Now imagine if like Yonge Street it had actual rapid transit, and not something that is barely faster than the bus outside of rush hour. Maybe perhaps it could actually convince a lot of people to get out of their cars?
I've never seen a take before that any of Toronto's 3 subway lines aren't rapid transit.

Hmm, the express GO bus from Toronto to Hamilton Centre is faster than the GO Train at some off-peak times.

I guess GO Trains aren't rapid transit either!

Back