Not sure where to mention it, but just now at Cooksville station there were 7 construction workers discussing something right by where I come up to the station from Hurontario. They were standing around where the Presto machines are.

I don’t know what company they were from—the only one whose logo I could identify was a hard hat from CP.

Could it be planning for Milton 15 minute service? Or just minor stuff related to the Hurontario LRT? Impossible to say.
Impossible to have 15 minute service until the 3rd track is built, especially at Dixie, Cooksville Milton and Lisgar stations, CP would be left with one track to run trains in both direction on

The CP crew could be looking at what it will have to do to put the piers for that 3rd track especially where the shoring is for the retaining wall. Since ML is planning a retaining wall on the west side, it would be a good time to built the pier for the 3rd track as part of the retaining wall. At the same time, would that 3rd track need a centre pier or could they get away with end pier only.

As for the current centre pier, they could be looking at it if it can be reduced width wise to free up space for the LRT and the station there. Even though this is the original bridge, a new 4 track bridge would resolved a number of issue for the area along removing the centre pier if possible

Last edited:
After I posted above, a few flags jumped out at me as well raised some questions from the past for the Cooksville LRT station.

The city has wanted to build a bridge over Hurontario St to connect to the GO station and the LRT station and it die. To do the bridge would mean the lost of the current access to the platform on the west side as there is not enough room for a stair to it as well no room for an elevator.

As for the east side, a ramp could be built like they doing for the QEQ bridge and it eliminated the need for an elevator.

Getting to the LRT station is impossible today if the bridge was built as there no room to do it due to the centre pier and it would only done by an elevator if it could be done.

Since the LRV's are 48m with a plan at a future date to run in pairs, there doesn't seem to be enough room from John St to the bridge to support 2 LRV's today. Since the current plan is to build platforms to support one LRV and add the 2nd section when needed. It will cause a lot of issues down the road if a full built out platform is not build on day one.

If 4 track bridge is built down the road, the heritage bridge will be hidden by the new bridges on either side of it. In fact, those bridges are already hidden with the signs on it as well the finish that they should be remove now to allow a full clearance of Hurontario St and the sidewalks. This will allow the LRT station to have the room that is require for it as well the elevator and stair to the platform. It will deal with the OADA requirements to get to the GO station from the west sidewalk.

To keep 2 tracks open to meet today need will require a new bridge to be built in phases starting with the north track. Once the north track bridge is built, a new 2 track bridge would be built to the south with the south track bring remove for it. It will become CP tracks only. The last phase would be the removal of the current GO station track.

IMG_2543.jpeg

Well I guess this is what they were discussing. What it means though, no idea.

May 12
Now that I have finished my disaster photo shots for May 02, I can get back to doing some shooting today as well look at some of the corridor. Will do it in 2 posting as one is a stand alone thing.

Work is under way dealing with the waterline issue at Fairview that is preventing the opening of the northbound lanes from the plaza to the south to where it is open now.

Elm Dr intersection will not open on May 13 as plan as the top coat for the road and tacks still has to be pour. Then backfilling has to take place between the finish guideway and the road before milling of the lanes and new asphalt can be place. It will be some time this week as paving still has to take place at Absolute intersection.

Absolute Intersection is finished, but needs backfilling before milling and asphalt work can take place. The milling machine is at Absolute with the paving equipment sitting north of Square One Dr. It was to be open May 8 and the sign is saying May 17 now.

The top is been place on the south pier for the elevated south pier retaining support at Rathburn to allow more backfilling for the ramp to the grade level.

Looks like the south pier base for the for the Hwy 403 bridge is pour with a lot of rebar above the pour section. Rebar has been installed on top of the Hwy 403 pier. The north pier base has been pour to allow the forming of the pier itself as well the retaining walls wings.

Next week could see the partly closure of Central Parkway and Square One intersection that will take 2 months to do.

Photos to follow shortly.

View attachment 562868

Well I guess this is what they were discussing. What it means though, no idea.
This is where is where the 3rd track/track 1 is to place and the box has to be relocated along with the 2 Presto machines.

The sidewalk and stair need to be shifted 10 feet to the south to get the track in if it is coming. Again in the direct path of the future track. This will place the sidewalk right beside the bridge with enough clearance between it and the trains. The new walkway would be centre of the current platform.

With the retaining wall to be built to the east of the existing sidewalk, there is enough room to snake the sidewalk around a ramp that starts to the north and then up to the platform. This removes the need for an elevator to get to the platform from the sidewalk, but forces those coming from the south to walk to the north end to get to the platform.

The current sidewalk can be better grades as well shift to the east once the retaining wall is built.

When time come to build that 3rd track bridge, the existing sidewalk and access to the platform will have close off while a new pier is built to the west of the current sidewalk. GO riders will have to use the east sidewalk until the west sidewalk can open.

As noted in my other posting, the existing centre prevents any access to the LRT platform on the north side of the bridge, but not on the south side. There is enough room after all to support a 2 LRV train for the station as well a stair and elevator to the platform. A ramp will have to be built to the west of the sidewalk to get to the bridge over Hurontario as a bridge of the existing sidewalk is too low for trucks.

I did the trip on Sunday.

If you look close at the south retaining wall for the middle of the south side of the ramp, the top is being removed as it is a few feet short height wise. Someone used the wrong forms for that area. As far as I can tell, the main work for the guideway is along Hurontario as that where I have seen crews working there. If you look close at the elevated section elsewhere, you will see the missing section at the piers where the beans are with the last photo showing what is need for the other ones.

It been a year since work started for this area along with the ramp to Rathburn and it has been a slow process as a make work project.

At the rate they are doing the piers for the 403 bridge, beams maybe place on those piers come July and be lucky if the bridge is fully built by the end of the year.

I am about to tag the photos for that area and should be up late Tuesday. The photos from here to the GO station are now on line.

Cross post
May 12
From what I can tell looking at the area on on Sunday, it has to do with a junction box and the 2 Presto machines where the future track 3 is to go in that are at the east end of the platform and the ramp to Hurontario St.

The ramp is also in the way of the 3rd track and it can be shifted 10 feet to the south. The big issue for this walkway, it has stairs to the sidewalk for Hurontario St. The current plan calls for a retaining wall along Hurontario St. This would be a good time to allow the sidewalk to be shifted to the east as well building the pier for the new 3rd track bridge before the retaining wall is built. Depending on how the new bridge is to be built. a ramp starting north of the new 3rd track could be built as well to the platform that would meet AODA standards and eliminate the need for an elevator as well a very long walk to the south entrance to get to the platform. Retaining walls will have to be built for the ramp that will be between 2 tracks.

The pier will have to be on the west side of the sidewalk requiring the sidewalk and access to the platform while the pier is being built.

If and when that 3rd track is built, it will run from Cawthra to Confederation Dr where it will connect to the 3rd track there that goes over Hwy 403 at this time. The exit track that was used for storage will have to be upgraded as well a fast speed switch until the rest of the 3r track is built to the Dixie station and then connects to the 3rd track at 427. This was to be have been done by 2011.

Maybe things will finally happen for that 3rd track to Milton to allow All day service 7 days a week.

The 4th track will be just to the north of the LRT station that will not be bult until 2025 at the current rate and over a year behind schedule for the line.
53719040446_fa039db1c1_b.jpg

53718765842_b10959fb51_b.jpg

53720005914_bb36515932_b.jpg

53718135857_525bfb9f43_b.jpg

53719531639_5f7d79595c_b.jpg

53719623840_e022751f2d_b.jpg

53719402273_7507498bcf_b.jpg

If they would formalize the pathway near the fence, the stairs are not needed. I noticed a lot of people walking up there, and it's basically become an informal ramp to avoid the descent and then having to walk up those stairs. There's your accessible entrance. Although I guess they didn't want to make it permanent since it would eventually need to be removed for the additional track, which is unfortunate.

If they would formalize the pathway near the fence, the stairs are not needed. I noticed a lot of people walking up there, and it's basically become an informal ramp to avoid the descent and then having to walk up those stairs. There's your accessible entrance. Although I guess they didn't want to make it permanent since it would eventually need to be removed for the additional track, which is unfortunate.
No you cannot as riders will be too close to the track as well having to cross the tracks at the platform with ML totally opposing that option for safety reasons. It would work as long there is no track there and not going to happen when the area is redevelop after the road work is done..

The only option is between the 2 tracks and it is possible ML may oppose it along with it not being able to meet OADA requirements.

When they rebuilt PC north platform for the 3rd track, there was an option to have access to it from Stavebank Rd and never happen because of safety reason.

No you cannot as riders will be too close to the track as well having to cross the tracks at the platform with ML totally opposing that option for safety reasons. It would work as long there is no track there and not going to happen when the area is redevelop after the road work is done..

The only option is between the 2 tracks and it is possible ML may oppose it along with it not being able to meet OADA requirements.

When they rebuilt PC north platform for the 3rd track, there was an option to have access to it from Stavebank Rd and never happen because of safety reason.
I mean the fence along Hurontario.

As long as they don't add the additional track, I'll continue to use the informal pathway, regardless of whether Metrolinx ever paves it or not (unless it rains, because then the path gets muddy, the grass no longer survives there from all the people walking it).

Back