Another solution would be to have the LRT turn left at Wellington and then run up George (bidirectionally, not looping via Main) to the GO station and turn that into a transit mall.

I too don't think the Highway 10 LRT will work at all in downtown brampton, ie 4 corners. if they take out the centre lanes, then people will have to take the outer lanes, but people use the outer lanes for street parkage, how is that gonna work?

It's either transit mall or tracks at the sides. Either way the parking will be gone. I think tracks at the sides of Main is fine, but there is the problem of space for stations platforms to accomodate coupled LRVs. The sidwalk is already pretty narrow as is. Tunnel north of Wellington would be ideal.

Another solution would be to have the LRT turn left at Wellington and then run up George (bidirectionally, not looping via Main) to the GO station and turn that into a transit mall.

The parking entrances for City Hall and the under construction expansion would, however, be about midway into your proposed transit mall.

It's either transit mall or tracks at the sides. Either way the parking will be gone. I think tracks at the sides of Main is fine, but there is the problem of space for stations platforms to accomodate coupled LRVs. The sidwalk is already pretty narrow as is. Tunnel north of Wellington would be ideal.

Tracks by the curb can work. Removing the lane of traffic will mean room for the tracks with a little left over for platforms as well. Combined with some sidewalk space, practically-scaled stop platforms are a possibility.

The parking entrances for City Hall and the under construction expansion would, however, be about midway into your proposed transit mall.

I'm sure they could change the parking entrances to another location. I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem.

Tracks by the curb can work. Removing the lane of traffic will mean room for the tracks with a little left over for platforms as well. Combined with some sidewalk space, practically-scaled stop platforms are a possibility.

Indeed, platforms need not be large. They barely need to be much different than a taller-than-usual sidewalk.

I'm sure they could change the parking entrances to another location. I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem.

I am equally sure they could not.....at least not the existing city hall and, at least, not without massive expense relative to value. Even the new extension would be difficult as it would a) require that the construction stop while new plans are created and b) they would have to acquire frontage onto a street other than George as they currently don't have any.

Last edited:
Hurontario-Main LRT Public Information Center Learn about the project and provide your comments. This event will collect public input and views on light rail transit stops, locations and alignment.
Event Date(s): November 27, 2012
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
L5B 3C1
Phone: 905-896-5000

More Information: Event Time: 3-8 p.m.
Cost: Free
Contact Person: Catherine Monast, 905-615-3200 ext. 5046
E-mail Address: catherine.monast@mississauga.ca

There talks going on that the Nov 27 open house is going to be cancel and move to the spring of 2013.

The reason for the move is the fact that the consulting firm is not near the level of completion for design drawings, as well there are various changes being look at will cause some design changes. Then there is the lack of funding and that pushing things back also.

No surprise regarding the money from Metrolinx. Time for Peel to go alone on this project as a P3, since they will get to use it sooner.

Having the LRT using the curb lane as mix traffic from the QEW to Port St is being review. I agree with the idea of using the curb lane, as there is next to no ridership in this section in the first place, as well traffic, other than southbound at Lakeshore. It most likely be move to the centre at Lakeshore for the line to go east at some future date.

Port St is being look at in a different light due to the One Port St redevelopment to the point of have the line on the south side like Cherry St and run into the One Port St Project at Stavebank Road South than stopping either at Elizabeth or Stavebank Road South.

I have always stated the the line be on the south side of Port St like Cherry St. On street parking needs to be remove as well widening the existing sidewalks.

I support the idea of taking the line south of Port St at Stavebank Road South to the point this whole section including Port St can be grass 100%. At the same time, the Stavebank Road South Station could be under the new development at grade and it would service the heart of the area for events there in the first place.

There talks going on that the Nov 27 open house is going to be cancel and move to the spring of 2013.

The reason for the move is the fact that the consulting firm is not near the level of completion for design drawings, as well there are various changes being look at will cause some design changes. Then there is the lack of funding and that pushing things back also.

No surprise regarding the money from Metrolinx. Time for Peel to go alone on this project as a P3, since they will get to use it sooner.

Bummer. And yes, I agree with Peel going on it's own. At least a 1st Phase, and hope that Metrolinx can chip in for all of a subsequent phase to balance it out.

It's kind of a shame, because Metrolinx could have used Peel Region as their poster child for how they can properly manage and fund projects. Peel right now is the complete opposite of Toronto. They have their plans nailed down and written in stone (minor design changes aside, which are natural for any project), and they're patiently waiting for funding. Toronto's plans seem to be in a constant state of flux, yet they have still maintained funding.

Part of me wants to see Metrolinx say "You know what Toronto? We'll take a couple billion off your tab and give it to Peel, because they actually know what they want. We'll catch you the next time when you actually know what you want."

Having the LRT using the curb lane as mix traffic from the QEW to Port St is being review. I agree with the idea of using the curb lane, as there is next to no ridership in this section in the first place, as well traffic, other than southbound at Lakeshore. It most likely be move to the centre at Lakeshore for the line to go east at some future date.

Just curious how they plan on flipping it from in-median to curb, and then back to in-median. Seems like it's going to require either a little dipping tunnel or a really messed up intersection.

I mean, there are several spots on Ottawa's Transitway where it goes from being curb lanes to going into it's own dedicated ROW (Woodroffe at the Sportsplex for example), and I would imagine that that is much simpler than switching from curb to in-median, because with curb to dedicated ROW only 1 half has to cross over traffic.

Just curious what the design for that type of thing would look like.

They have their plans nailed down and written in stone (minor design changes aside, which are natural for any project), and they're patiently waiting for funding. Toronto's plans seem to be in a constant state of flux, yet they have still maintained funding.

Part of me wants to see Metrolinx say "You know what Toronto? We'll take a couple billion off your tab and give it to Peel, because they actually know what they want. We'll catch you the next time when you actually know what you want."
I think Metrolinx (or more specifically the Ministry of Finance) aren't too bothered about flux in Toronto. Ever since the 5-in-10 replaced Transit City projected completions have gone back and back and back and meanwhile the provincial deficit has edged down only slightly. The only thing there seems to be lots of funding for is buying bits of CNR for GO Transit.

Just curious how they plan on flipping it from in-median to curb, and then back to in-median. Seems like it's going to require either a little dipping tunnel or a really messed up intersection.
Tunnels are expensive, slightly odd intersections are easy.

For an example of how an intersection could be laid out, in the case of the Kitchener LRT, see here: (The intersection in question is in the centre of the page.)
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/multimedialibrary/resources/2011_kitchener_shelley.pdf (Warning: huge PDF)

Tunnels are expensive, slightly odd intersections are easy.

For an example of how an intersection could be laid out, in the case of the Kitchener LRT, see here: (The intersection in question is in the centre of the page.)
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/multimedialibrary/resources/2011_kitchener_shelley.pdf (Warning: huge PDF)

It looks odd, but I suppose it could work, as long as the frequency is low enough. I would think that if the frequency got too high, those intersections would become prime candidates for bunching.

The Letter
The Honourable Bob Chiarelli
Minister of Transportation
77 Wellesley Street West
Ferguson Block, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario
M7A lZ8
Dear Mr. Minister:
I-\(b')
OFFICE OF THE MAYOR
August 7, 2012
I am writing to inform you that the City of Mississauga and the City of Brampton
recently co-submitted an application for Round Four of the P3 Canada Fund for the HurontarioMain
LRT (HMLRT) Project. Furthermore, the City of Mississauga would like to affirm its
commitment to the project and emphasize the positive impacts a light-rail transit system would
have for our city.

The Hurontario-Main LRT project has been identified in our Master Plan as necessary tc
facilitate projected growth along the corridor. It has substantial opportunities to stimulate
downtown intensification, and encourage mixed-use and transit-oriented development .
. ' Moreover, the project aligns with our City's Official plan, Strategic Plan and Transportation
Master Plan.

Metrolinx has conducted and approved a rapid transit benefit case analysis and has
identified the HMLRT as a top 15 project in The Big Move regional transportation plan for the
Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Mississauga supports this plan and is committed to
delivering higher-order transit for its citizens.

Mississauga City Council has been working with Brampton City Council tc address the
transportation needs along this key corridor. However, the success of the HMLRT proj ect will
require commitment, funding and co-ordination from all three levels of government.

THE CORPORATION OF THE GITY OF MISSISSAUGA
300 CITY CENTRE DRIVE. MISSISSAUGA. ONTARIO L583Cl
TEL: (905) 896·5555 FAX, (905) 896·5879
T- - \( c)
-2-
The City of Mississaugarecognizes the Ontario Gove=ent's efforts to renew and
expand rapid transit infrastructure to stimulate the economy, protect the environment, shorten
commute times and provide sustainable transportation for our citizens. We look forward to
working with you as this important project advances.
HP;ZEL McCALLION, C.M., LL.D.
MAYOR
cc: The

Back