I thought we were going to use this to convert the Sheppard subway to LRT

The Primove system is an extra cost option. It could be used for either streetcars or light rail.

I think it could used should they convert the heavy rail subway tunnels to light rail on Sheppard, especially at the stations. In the tunnels, it could be third rail or stay with Primove.

The Primove system is an extra cost option. It could be used for either streetcars or light rail.

I think it could used should they convert the heavy rail subway tunnels to light rail on Sheppard, especially at the stations. In the tunnels, it could be third rail or stay with Primove.

That is my thought as well... When the Danforth subway goes all the way up to Sheppard it will further reduce the Sheppard subway passenger numbers. A LRT makes sense the Subway not so much...

I thought we were going to use this to convert the Sheppard subway to LRT
We've chatted about that here, but no one official has ever mentioned implementing this technology ... which would likely not save much on a subway conversion, as the key issue is still rebuilding the platforms.

We've chatted about that here, but no one official has ever mentioned implementing this technology ... which would likely not save much on a subway conversion, as the key issue is still rebuilding the platforms.

Isn't it more the escalators and the elevators? The platforms are all raised 'false' floors, aren't they?

Isn't it more the escalators and the elevators? The platforms are all raised 'false' floors, aren't they?

In some cities, where they are converting from high to low platforms, they use both levels during the conversion process. Since the Sheppard station boxes are longer than the actual platform being used, that should make it easier.

1e8dd.JPG
2-stuttgart-platforms.jpg

Last edited:
It's the the whole kit 'n caboodle.

Dang.

In some cities, where they are converting from high to low platforms, they use both levels during the conversion process. Since the Sheppard station boxes are longer than the actual platform being used, that should make it easier.

Interesting. Only problem is that TTC subway cars run on TTC gauge, while the LRTs will run on standard gauge. So running both at the same time wouldn't work unfortunately.

Dang.

Interesting. Only problem is that TTC subway cars run on TTC gauge, while the LRTs will run on standard gauge. So running both at the same time wouldn't work unfortunately.

The heavy rail subway trains are wider than the light rail trains, so the different gauges could be offset, shifting the light rail trains closer to the platform.

Dang.

That would take about 24 hours of work per car to change, in either direction (subway to regular gauge or LRT to TTC gauge).

This issue pretty minimal and is work TTC staff have performed on many occasions in the past.

Perhaps they are not being "stupid" perhaps they are just, in their minds, protecting what they have/are trying to create in DT Brampton and the proponents of the line have done a lousy job explaining the impact of the wires on that.

True: If Brampton thinks that catenary is incompatible with the historic look of downtown, they need to look at this picture:

north-yonge-09.jpg

Attachments

• north-yonge-09.jpg
    north-yonge-09.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 505
I was driving down Hurontario St. today in downtown Mississauga and noticed the city is planting trees in the median on Hurontario Street. Like they're trying to give the street a grand "Boulevard" look.

Why would Mississauga do this if they're hoping to begin construction on the LRT in a couple years? Wouldn't the median on Hurontario St. be torn up and replaced with the LRT tracks?

Seems like wasted effort and money to plant the trees if they're just going to be torn down in a couple years.

I was driving down Hurontario St. today in downtown Mississauga and noticed the city is planting trees in the median on Hurontario Street. Like they're trying to give the street a grand "Boulevard" look.

Why would Mississauga do this if they're hoping to begin construction on the LRT in a couple years? Wouldn't the median on Hurontario St. be torn up and replaced with the LRT tracks?

Seems like wasted effort and money to plant the trees if they're just going to be torn down in a couple years.

The median will be in between the tracks.

Brampton after 5 hours of debate today approved the EA with the mayor supporting it. Council still want the team to look at another route than Main, but don't see one.

The 6 month final EA will commence in Dec with PIC in Jan.

Metrolinx BOD should get the report and funding request fall of 2014 and hope it can be put in the 2015 budget so construction could start 2016/17 subject to funding.

Back