News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

In case anyone is interested....
There is a Toronto meetup group for folks who are into outdoor skills..... and preparing for the zombie apocalypse! They recently had a workshop to show what supplies would have been good to have during the ice storm.
Some good ideas shown.
Ice Storm 72 Hours In The Dark.

Its a good thing that icestorm wasnt followed by the deep freeze weather we're having right now. I'd hate to have to sit at home with no power for 6 days while its -28 Celsius outside

Its a good thing that icestorm wasnt followed by the deep freeze weather we're having right now. I'd hate to have to sit at home with no power for 6 days while its -28 Celsius outside

Unfortunately, there are still a few hundred without power, even today. And their pipes are now frozen, which will cause even more problems once the heat is back on.

Unfortunately, there are still a few hundred without power, even today. And their pipes are now frozen, which will cause even more problems once the heat is back on.

And Robbie still finds time to campaign, and eat well at home. (pun intended)

One worry I have with homeowners and tenants who make a claim on their property insurance or tenant insurance, is that their premiums may go up. Which is one reason to avoid making a claim (and going to try to get a food card). Wish the province would make legislation so that making a once a decade claim would not push the insurance premiums up.

One worry I have with homeowners and tenants who make a claim on their property insurance or tenant insurance, is that their premiums may go up. Which is one reason to avoid making a claim (and going to try to get a food card). Wish the province would make legislation so that making a once a decade claim would not push the insurance premiums up.

I had a locker flood about five years ago and got a $17K settlement cheque, my insurance never went up but I did lose my 10% "claim free" discount.

On the news last night they did a piece on an apartment building in Scarborough that got their power back for a short time but then it failed shortly after and they are still without power, except for that from a mobile generator that was brought in to get them some power and heat from portable units. Water pipes are now frozen and their boiler is shot, that's going to be a nightmare for them in a highrise. Many people in rental apartments don't have insurance.

I had a locker flood about five years ago and got a $17K settlement cheque, my insurance never went up but I did lose my 10% "claim free" discount.

On the news last night they did a piece on an apartment building in Scarborough that got their power back for a short time but then it failed shortly after and they are still without power, except for that from a mobile generator that was brought in to get them some power and heat from portable units. Water pipes are now frozen and their boiler is shot, that's going to be a nightmare for them in a highrise. Many people in rental apartments don't have insurance.

A lot of tenants don't take out tenant insurance for their contents. This is one reason for it. Can landlords make taking tenant insurance a prerequisite for a tenancy agreement?

Those who complain are the ones who do not plan for problems, such as power outages, furnace breakdowns, or don't maintain their homes. Did have a power failure in my neighbourhood last year, but I we were able to still use our BBQ. Will be chipping in with my family members for a portable generator, so we can share it for future power failures. First, I plan to do some wiring, switches, and connections for a generator, come the summer.

I pruned my tree every year on my front lawn. Last year, I got a company to do the top branches. Not a single branch (big, small, or tiny) came down.

It's really not that simple.

A lot of tenants don't take out tenant insurance for their contents. This is one reason for it. Can landlords make taking tenant insurance a prerequisite for a tenancy agreement?

I think my landlord does. I have looked at the actual lease in a while. But no effort is made to enforce it. I think if anything it's a CYA clause in case something happens and a tenant tries to get compensation from the landlord. How all this would pan out in an actual case, I don't know.

From a news release today. I'm not sure how they are ensuring that only those with the greatest need get these cards -- is there an income requirement? do they do an assessment?
Province and Private Sector Working Together to Help Those Most In Need

Over the last two days, almost $500,000 in food gift cards has been distributed to over 5,000 Toronto families and individuals most in need, helping replace food they lost due to the ice storm.

The response to this initiative has been overwhelming. While additional cards continue to flow into 15 Ontario Works offices for distribution, the supply is limited and city residents should expect line ups at the offices and are asked to be patient.

The gift cards are intended to help people who lost food and are unable to replace it without financial assistance. This initiative cannot provide gift cards to everyone who lost power, and is reserved for those facing the most need.

The gift card distribution has been made possible through the generosity of Ontario's corporate sector, particularly grocery stores, working with the province to quickly deliver food aid to those who most need it this week.

Distribution of the cards in Toronto will end tomorrow, Friday Jan. 3.

The province continues to work with affected municipalities to expand the initiative outside of Toronto. More details on the expansion of the initiative to other municipalities will be announced soon.

Working to help communities recover from the ice storm is part of the government's plan to work together as One Ontario to build a successful, compassionate and united province where everyone has the opportunity to connect, contribute and enjoy a high quality of life.

QUICK FACTS

To date, over 12,000 gift cards have been distributed.
Approximately $325,000 of gift cards were distributed today.
Corporate donors for this initiative include Loblaw, Shoppers Drug Mart, Metro, Sobeys, Bruce Power, Costco, Northland Power, Louie Coppa Family - A Coppa Family Tradition, CUPE Local 416 and the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
Ontarians are reminded to contact their insurance companies first to find out about their coverage and compensation for lost food.

I think my landlord does. I have looked at the actual lease in a while. But no effort is made to enforce it. I think if anything it's a CYA clause in case something happens and a tenant tries to get compensation from the landlord. How all this would pan out in an actual case, I don't know.

It depends on the landlord. Some insist on it and demand proof. Others kinda let it slide.......probably not a good move when the shit hits the fan.

Back