News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

That bridge looks like it would be inconvenient to cross if you are hauling luggage....
Why? It's perfectly level - far easier with luggage than if they'd gone the traditional way with ramps. Or the old way where you had to swim. :)

Why? It's perfectly level - far easier with luggage than if they'd gone the traditional way with ramps. Or the old way where you had to swim. :)

The draw bridge planned was also going to be level.

A static bridge with ramps for vehicles would have required a 500m long ramps at a minimum. Those tall-ships and occassional freighter we get are pretty tall.

The draw bridge planned was also going to be level.

A static bridge with ramps for vehicles would have required a 500m long ramps at a minimum. Those tall-ships and occassional freighter we get are pretty tall.
There is another entrance into the harbour.

There is another entrance into the harbour.

And law requires 2 for the same reason that buildings have 2 fire stairwells.

I liked the Expo idea of shifting canal south of the airport and closing in the gap.

Last edited:
Which law would this be ... as I can think of many a port that only has one entrance!

Great question and I can't be specific. I would guess it has to do with the sinking of the Resolute.
Asked the Expo people why they would rebuild that channel and they said the harbour required two exits but it's just as possible it requires 2 entrances for storm reasons.

I will ask the Port Authority why they were trying to build a draw-bridge and did not propose closing the gap.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I think the Park management and the residents would be in favor of a gondola from Cherry Street to Ward's Island. You just have to clear the eastern Gap by 120 feet and you'd be all set. The big problem is the distance between supporting towers on the opposite shores of the channel. But it would make going to the island that much more of an adventure...

Great question and I can't be specific. I would guess it has to do with the sinking of the Resolute.
Asked the Expo people why they would rebuild that channel and they said the harbour required two exits but it's just as possible it requires 2 entrances for storm reasons.

I will ask the Port Authority why they were trying to build a draw-bridge and did not propose closing the gap.

Too many issues with closing the gap or even moving the channel to the far side of the airport (which is still a neat idea).

Back