From this morning. The poles in the courtyard were lit up one night last week.

IMG_6169.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,870
I'm a bit shocked that the best idea for the landscaped forecourt area was "MORE white!" : /

To do that sort of "turn it up!" schtick where the ivory theme is continued through every last detail and is intended to be very all-enveloping and continuous, you need to use great materials for it to be successful. That planter in the previous photo that appears to be concrete painted white doesn't look good now, especially in the context of the rest of the project, and I worry about how it will look after a few years. This space doesn't look inviting in the least to me.

Some other colours, textures and materials and approach to the landscaping could have really provided a sophisticated counterpoint to the tower, and both the outdoor space and condo itself would look better for it. Instead, the endless white paint, white precast, white concrete pavers, etc. etc. just look overwhelmingly white and chintzy to my eyes.

Some darker tones in the paving, some varied textures, and wood on the light standards (and benches, which are perhaps coming) would have looked very smart against this project.

Last edited:
Everything about this development says stay away. It feels very much like a gated community and I don't like that at all. It would make me very reluctant to go to any of the retail spaces in this development.

I like the over-all design of the building but I hate the way it feels walking past it.

Everything about this development says stay away. It feels very much like a gated community and I don't like that at all. It would make me very reluctant to go to any of the retail spaces in this development.

I like the over-all design of the building but I hate the way it feels walking past it.

It is quite weird how it meets the street. You'd think they'd have gone out of their way to make it inviting since Adelaide is pretty much a dead street pedestrian wise.

It's quite weird to me how the white "awning" stretches out, but then you have the black iron gate further back. It's like a mixed message of come-in/get-off-my-lawn. A few years back at one of my condo's meetings, someone suggested gating our courtyard from the public (during after hours) and I'm glad almost everyone said it was terrible idea.

Reactions: DSC
It's all on the developer IMO. The design is fine. The execution is terrible. This developer has produced a lot of unfortunate looking projects all over downtown.

The courtyard doesn't look very functional or enjoyable. I don't have any issue with the gate or that it may be closed at night. Unfortunately, to have nice things and to keep them nice requires committed volunteers and after hour restrictions.

The courtyard doesn't look very functional or enjoyable. I don't have any issue with the gate or that it may be closed at night. Unfortunately, to have nice things and to keep them nice requires committed volunteers and after hour restrictions.
Nope. It requires a good garden contractor and budget. The LAST thing you want is a couple of people from the building taking over because suddenly it's their garden and things get done their way and there is a huge fight if anyone dares to complain.

Someone has had this happen to them? I can see that. A contractor doing the flowers isn't personal.

Back