Throwback Thursday moment:

View along Dundas West circa 1987:

View attachment 358925

It's quite unfortunate that the Googie-style sign visible on the right-hand side of the photo for MB Auto Services disappeared at some point in the 2010s. I don't know if it actually dated back to the Googie era, but that's what it always reminded me of.

It's quite unfortunate that the Googie-style sign visible on the right-hand side of the photo for MB Auto Services disappeared at some point in the 2010s. I don't know if it actually dated back to the Googie era, but that's what it always reminded me of.

That style of signs and architecture are certainly becoming a rarity nowadays. One of the few structures still around the city I'm aware of is this Canadian Tire gas station up at Kipling & Rexdale Blvd:

And I guess the signage of the recently revived Paradise Theatre on Bloor shows some influence from that style:

AA9D4E36-7D41-43A0-A2BF-C3D2A8142121.jpeg
19752CA4-7421-4987-A941-0C439A5A9B60.jpeg

Two storey laneway towns coming together in first photo

Looking forward to this one rising. Going to make an impact on stretching out the Junction's urban form eastward towards the barren hostile dangerous Dupont/Annette/Dundas/Old Weston intersection.

If only we had some proactive or planned action on making that intersection better (maybe there are plans in the works?). The extraordinarily wide crossing of Old Weston Rd. on the north side always feels super dangerous and confusing for pedestrians and cyclists and it takes forever to wait to cross and sometimes seems like the signal will never change leading to people doing risky and weird things to try to cross.

I still have no idea where I'm supposed to go with my bike, where to wait to turn, and how I'm supposed to navigate it safely and properly after years of living around here and using it often.

Really is unfortunate and dangerous that the main route between the Junction and Junction Triangle is left in such a dangerous and confusing and hostile state for anyone not driving a car.

Last edited:

Back