208DD053-5212-4ED2-83B2-3C46B41571C5.jpeg
7E7D5BC0-9CEB-4405-B664-6354486F0A59.jpeg

So those letters are way, way, way smaller than shown in the rendering… or the guy attached to that arm is, like, gigantic.

I was just going to say I'm disappointed by the size. They letters really should be about 6 feet in height, so this is a let down.

Are they neon or LED?

So those letters are way, way, way smaller than shown in the rendering… or the guy attached to that arm is, like, gigantic.

This is going to look as awkward as the refurbished Sam the Record Man sign at Yonge Dundas Square. Why is it so difficult for Toronto to do anything bold and with grandeur.

You're correct, of course, but in this case, I'm certainly not blaming Slate. This city has a puritanical aversion to any sort of interesting / creative signage. Anyone remember Rami Tabello?

You're correct, of course, but in this case, I'm certainly not blaming Slate. This city has a puritanical aversion to any sort of interesting / creative signage. Anyone remember Rami Tabello?

He did a good job of pointing out illegal billboards and advocating for their removal. What's the point of having bylaws if they're just ignored?

It all comes down to ideology. I'm really not bothered by ads, especially ones which really go the extra mile, so his drive to eliminate everything really just bugged me. The one that really killed me was when during the World Cup, Heineken hung two soccer-playing Minis off of the wall at King and Spadina and he got the City to remove it.

End of the day I don't think he did a good job. Though legally he was in the right, he just worked tirelessly to make the city more drab and boring.

They have called this version of the J a mock-up, which suggests it might just be a sample for approval and the actual will be larger.

Edit: Oops. I now see the tweet also says "This is 1:1". Hopefully that part is wrong - why do a 1:1 mock-up? That's just called finishing the J first.

It all comes down to ideology. I'm really not bothered by ads, especially ones which really go the extra mile, so his drive to eliminate everything really just bugged me. The one that really killed me was when during the World Cup, Heineken hung two soccer-playing Minis off of the wall at King and Spadina and he got the City to remove it.

End of the day I don't think he did a good job. Though legally he was in the right, he just worked tirelessly to make the city more drab and boring.

There were so many ugly illegal billboards that he got removed, though. It was typically generic corporate advertising mounted to the sides of buildings with no real cultural value.

The city wasn't that dense back then, either. Nowadays, illegal billboards could have light shining into people's windows in mixed-use developments on major streets. It's a nuisance that can potentially devalue a person's home or reduce the development potential of their property.

Back