They're the best value based on price per square foot, but there's a reason. The floor plans could be better. They're somewhat awkward in that you enter directly into the living area with no real entryway. It's kind of a waste of having a wider layout (than what is typical), given that you'll likely end up defining a 'hallway' with furniture anyway like how they have it laid out in the sample renderings.

Also, looking at Project End's latest posting, it looks like a rendering of the 'back' of the building, where the laneway houses are. Not only do they start slightly below grade, but are deeply inset with a massive overhang above. These houses will be really dark, especially combined with the fact that they face North.

Hipsters don't care! This is great for em. Bike/Walk-Out Uber is at your doorstep. You don't have to sell a realtor. The windows are big enough for some natural light to come in and you have access to a rooftop to get your sunshine when you feel it’s a must. I'm confused where else the living room would be and why you "must' need a proper hallway. There is enough space for functionality and the more open the better.

Last edited:
Hipsters don't care! This is great for em. Bike/Walk-Out Uber is at your doorstep. You don't have to sell a realtor. The windows are big enough for some natural light to come in and you have access to a rooftop to get your sunshine when you feel it’s a must. I'm confused where else the living room would be and why you "must' need a proper hallway. There is enough space for functionality and the more open the better.

Sorry, just to clarify - i don't mean that you 'must' have a hallway, but given that there is only one spot for the living room (as you pointed out), and that is also where the front door is, you're likely going to end up laying out your furniture as they're done in the floor plan. Nothing inherently wrong with that layout, but all I'm saying is that it effectively makes your living room feel more like 10' x 9'10 (so you don't really get to take advantage of the full 14'7 width). Not to mention the entry mats, muddy boots in the winter, etc. all being so close to your sofa.

Mostly though, I think the natural light will be an issue. Starting below grade, with the massive overhang above, only the living area will be a bit of that natural light you mentioned. The kitchen and dining area will be dark at all times of the day. The den upstairs will be especially perpetually dark. While the rooftop is great, realistically this is Toronto and given our weather, that will only be truly enjoyable for maybe 3-4 months of the year.

I'm not trying to bash the layout - there are plenty of condo units in Toronto that are much, much worse and utterly unusable. Simply just saying that within this building, these units were one of the lowest price per square foot, but that is for a reason as there are compromises that need to be made.

View attachment 174023
I agree with @CGtower - walking your slushy winter boots across the living room floor, and through the kitchen, just to get to the coat closet, just isn't practical at all. More so, when our winters seem to be getting longer. The good news is there is room to shift the closet closer to the door, or at least extend it to help mitigate the dirty foot traffic to the closet. Also, Knowing the privacy issues with a ground floor unit, I'd explore switching the living room for the dining room. I'd hate to be on display eating ice cream and watching Housewives of New York ;)

Our winters are most definitely not getting longer.

Climate models show Toronto having an average high in January of about 7 degrees by 2050 (compare to the average high of about 1 degree today). Our winters are most likely going to disappear over the next 40 years, not get worse.

Climate models show Toronto having an average high in January of about 7 degrees by 2050 (compare to the average high of about 1 degree today). Our winters are most likely going to disappear over the next 40 years, not get worse.
Yes, you're 100% right, bad choice of words. I should have said, "weather becoming more variable (rain, etc.)."

Based on those climate models, in a century's time, palm trees (with some help from genetic modification) would grow along University Avenue and along Black Creek.

Based on those climate models, in a century's time, palm trees (with some help from genetic modification) would grow along University Avenue and along Black Creek.
....Century's time?! ..C'mon, we all know world will end in 12 years!

Back