Metal??
IMG_6496.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg
IMG_6495.jpeg

He's bad on housing, too, where his most familiar public refrain is "I've never voted against a housing motion on the floor of Council", which is a pathetically low bar for a so-called progressive.
I can't say I agree. Perks supports staff recs essentially 100% of the time. From a policy perspective, I don't really see much daylight between him and someone like Bradford: both will support broad policy and zoning changes that will allow more supply. In my experience, the acute problem is at Staff level - until Doug came in and broke everything (no love for that jackass, but the effect on Toronto Planning has been remarkable), there was no desire to change anything among managers or directors so we end up with the milquetoast nonsense that's plagued us for time immemorial. At the end of the day, he's now the new PHC chair, with Brad taking vice chair. If I'm wrong, we'll likely see ideological cracks emerge pretty quickly.
#PerksOut2026
Well he's your new PHC chair, so...

I can't say I agree. Perks supports staff recs essentially 100% of the time. From a policy perspective, I don't really see much daylight between him and someone like Bradford: both will support broad policy and zoning changes that will allow more supply. In my experience, the acute problem is at Staff level - until Doug came in and broke everything (no love for that jackass, but the effect on Toronto Planning has been remarkable), there was no desire to change anything among managers or directors so we end up with the milquetoast nonsense that's plagued us for time immemorial. At the end of the day, he's now the new PHC chair, with Brad taking vice chair. If I'm wrong, we'll likely see ideological cracks emerge pretty quickly.

Well he's your new PHC chair, so...

I guess I think both things are true. It's 100% correct to suggest that Perks religiously accepts Staff recs, but much of the power of committee chairmanship stems from the off-report direction they give to Staff. So, when you're in the middle of a raging housing crisis and, to the also accurate point that Staff have traditionally been a problem, if you've got a Chair who's MO is just to accept whatever their priors are I think you've got a problem.

I don't think he'll be bad for housing, per se, but given where we're at in the crisis, and given that we've got a brand new mayor who rode a mandate for change to the office after more than a decade of *all that*, I think it's a bit of a shame not to have someone in that position who's going to be pushing Staff.

I guess I think both things are true. It's 100% correct to suggest that Perks religiously accepts Staff recs, but much of the power of committee chairmanship stems from the off-report direction they give to Staff. So, when you're in the middle of a raging housing crisis and, to the also accurate point that Staff have traditionally been a problem, if you've got a Chair who's MO is just to accept whatever their priors are I think you've got a problem.

I don't think he'll be bad for housing, per se, but given where we're at in the crisis, and given that we've got a brand new mayor who rode a mandate for change to the office after more than a decade of *all that*, I think it's a bit of a shame not to have someone in that position who's going to be pushing Staff.
You're correct, for sure, but I guess what I'd counter with was how effective was "Housing Champion" Bradford's tenure in that same position previously? Unfortunately the chair is more ceremonial and is too-often divorced from the staff doing (hopefully) the work. That said, there have been some long-awaited, position-of-power, retirements recently which I hope will shake things up, but we'll have to see.

Back