Is SRT’s closure likely to change the design at all? Or was the crash wall design based on GO proximity?

If community space is an issue, maybe some thought should be put to enclosing and repurposing the SRT platform.

The pool comment - it’s really interesting to look at the City’s swimming pool map and selecting programs like Leisure Swim and seeing significantly different availability between the old city/East York and the rest of the city. While it doesn’t necessarily need to be directly linked to this project, the difference is there (and I think many people would not consider YMCA to be a substitution for a city run facility)

Is SRT’s closure likely to change the design at all? Or was the crash wall design based on GO proximity?

If community space is an issue, maybe some thought should be put to enclosing and repurposing the SRT platform.

The pool comment - it’s really interesting to look at the City’s swimming pool map and selecting programs like Leisure Swim and seeing significantly different availability between the old city/East York and the rest of the city. While it doesn’t necessarily need to be directly linked to this project, the difference is there (and I think many people would not consider YMCA to be a substitution for a city run facility)
The POOL counts in Old Toronto - East York mostly come from the density of those neighbourhoods that made the school-lands too small to support a full-sized sports-field or track, so the pre-amalgamation City and School Board co-located recreation facilities.

North York, Etobicoke and Scarborugh had more land, and more Car-Oriented development -- so they built larger stand-alone recreation facilities that were much more spread-out.

City Hall still deals with the problems of "Amalgamating Parks & Rec" venues every few years - https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ea...cle_b0cfa102-2f57-58b4-a2b9-a5396834fc09.html

The POOL counts in Old Toronto - East York mostly come from the density of those neighbourhoods that made the school-lands too small to support a full-sized sports-field or track, so the pre-amalgamation City and School Board co-located recreation facilities.

North York, Etobicoke and Scarborugh had more land, and more Car-Oriented development -- so they built larger stand-alone recreation facilities that were much more spread-out.

City Hall still deals with the problems of "Amalgamating Parks & Rec" venues every few years - https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ea...cle_b0cfa102-2f57-58b4-a2b9-a5396834fc09.html

Not to drag us too far off topic; but to elaborate here; the old, pre-amalgamation Toronto had a much higher tax base per capita than surrounding areas, as it had the downtown bank towers, as well as greater density.

This also applied to the pre-amalgamation old Toronto school board.

The old Toronto school board was generally left leaning and generally supported greater programming/capital spend with the additional dollars to which it had access, rather than a radically lower tax rate vs the burbs. That was allowed then, as
School Boards previously set their own tax rates in pre-Harris Ontario.

Harris largely wiped out that power; and then also imposed the single monolith TDSB which brought the old program to an end (pools in schools) as the province would no longer fund these. The City and private revenue sources had to make up much of the difference w/the TDSB still eating some costs on existing pools where its programming budget can permit.

Demand was also higher in the 'Old City' as "old Toronto' had entirely free recreation programs, where this was not true in any of North York, Scarborough, East York, York or Etobicoke.

Last edited:
This says construction start in 2026, which makes far more sense.

Bit more detail on that in the RenX piece linked below:

1704906031687.png

Also of note:

1704906076721.png

2 year construction period seems fast - but it looks like it may have above-grade parking, so no underground levels will speed things up quite a bit.

2 year construction period seems fast - but it looks like it may have above-grade parking, so no underground levels will speed things up quite a bit.

Underground parking is specified in the RenX piece.

Quote:

1704907499306.png

Additional render:

View attachment 532403

Note to @HousingNowTO ; I see encroachment here into the hydro corridor. I hope they have an agreement in place with Hydro One already. They can take an eternity to agree to anything.
I am just LoL-ing that the Hydro Lines "disappear" in that visual from above the "Meadow-way"... 🤓

Here's a drone comparison of the present-state (2021) from a similar angle...

1704912883181.png

Additional render:

View attachment 532403

Note to @HousingNowTO ; I see encroachment here into the hydro corridor. I hope they have an agreement in place with Hydro One already. They can take an eternity to agree to anything.
For the record, I don't think that there is any encroachment on the Hydro corridor. The "Meadow Way" is already planned for that section -- and it just looks like this project will help PAY for it.

The middle-render from @interchange42 above shows the buildings well south of the Hydro towers.

For the record, I don't think that there is any encroachment on the Hydro corridor. The "Meadow Way" is already planned for that section -- and it just looks like this project will help PAY for it.

The middle-render from @interchange42 above shows the buildings well south of the Hydro towers.

I'll have to wait to see the landscape plan. But.......

This is definitely not The Meadoway. This is a secondary Hydro Corridor.

This is The Meadoway (line in Black)

1704913588407.png

You can see the secondary N-S corridor is where this is located, down close to Eglinton.

I'm not aware of any master agreement in place for this section.

We have a front page story up on this here now where we have a number of new renderings for you to look at, and more in the database file attached at the top of the page too. Here are a couple of them:

View attachment 532388View attachment 532389

Stunning. This screams 50s motel brutalist/googie ish to me and I absolutely love it. Looks like a "futuristic" style from the 50s and 60s

Should be some good detail forthcoming on this one.

This is on the agenda for next week's Design Review Panel.

1705083489870.png

Back