lol....hate to break it to you but this one's already been approved pal. so your "opposition" won't do much good on wednesday.

Gloat at the loss of this building all you like, but he can still express his dislike at using heritage as mere decoration. You should be aware that there are a number of buildings in the immediate area that are threatened by similar facadectomies - buildings that are perfectly fine, utilized and actually sought out by many businesses. These are the structures that actually define the neighbourhood, and they are threatened by an effort to totally remake the area in the glass tower image.

Seems in this city we go to other places to marvel at the preserved heritage - all the time happily blowing away ours for new and supposedly stylish condo apartments. Once this building is gone, it's gone for good.

Page + Steele... at this location?
You've got to love the dynamic combination of a predominately suburban developer with a mediocre architectural firm, at King and Peter no less. I'm on the edge of my seat...

My thoughts exactly.
The Downtown Markham development by Remington could have been such an interesting development if it wasn't for the generic design and lack lustre quality.

The stacked boxes design was 10x cooler.

Well here is the older version

^

3277495750_b6930439d7.jpg

Strange, I get that feeling from this development here and many others that have been re-designed and canceled.... that Toronto is trying to stay away from the stack box design:confused:

Last edited:
That looks awfully bland and generic, one of the worst designs that I've seen in the pipeline in a while. Looks like Tridel's Verve, but with additional awkwardly placed balconies. What a fail.

Here is the larger picture, and a better idea of what its going to look like......from Urbanation

Well, on the one hand, a beautiful building is being needlessly gutted and facadectomied. On the other hand, we get a blandly generic shitpile. So at least nobody's happy.

Agreed - the new towers are a steaming pile of poo, and a step backwards for Toronto, particularly when these are not in Markham but at King and John. The podium proposes both pedestrian (north/south), and car (one-way, east/west) access through the site. Idea is good, but execution will most likely resemble the pedestrian/car dungeon beneath the Sheraton.

Quick, call in the Design Review Panel (or better yet, a new architect).

The towers are really awful. Nothing more needs to be said (they sadly speak for themselves).

I think both proposals were unattractive. I was partial to the version that looked like a blue dagger of some sort pointing to the sky from a few years ago.

Back