That's right. Looks like this is coming to Toronto. Photos/description from Westbank (http://westbankcorp.com/exhibits/serpentine-pavilion):

"...Ingels' design, the ‘unzipped wall’, sought to reconcile aspects commonly perceived as opposites, creating a space that is both free-form and structured; modular yet sculptural. The resulting structure transforms from a straight line into three-dimensional space, creating a dramatic undulating form of stacked rectangular frames made out of glass fiber. Westbank subsequently purchased the Pavilion, with the intention that it would serve a purpose beyond the one exhibition. Plans are currently underway that would see the Serpentine Pavilion on display for periods of time in New York and Toronto, before eventually finding its way to a permanent home in Vancouver..."

BIG-Serpentine-9300-copy.jpg

BIG-Serpentine-9598.jpg

BIG-Serpentine-5943.jpg

BIG-Serpentine-6316.jpg

I was back today with my zoom lens.

DSC07736.jpg

This is what you see head-on from King:
DSC07737.jpg
DSC07738.jpg
DSC07739.jpg
DSC07740.jpg

This is what you see when you head round the back and face west.
DSC07744.jpg
DSC07745.jpg

The details…
DSC07746.jpg

There's another screen which says COMING FALL 2018 UNZIPPEDTORONTO.COM

That website is not active yet, so I'm not certain if the name of the project is now Unzipped, or if that'll just be the pavilion name. We'll know soon enough I guess, but in the meantime, it's pretty cool that we're getting a Serpentine Pavilion here for a while.

Attachments

• DSC07736.jpg
    DSC07736.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC07737.jpg
    DSC07737.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 602
  • DSC07738.jpg
    DSC07738.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 577
  • DSC07739.jpg
    DSC07739.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC07740.jpg
    DSC07740.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 607
  • DSC07744.jpg
    DSC07744.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC07745.jpg
    DSC07745.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC07746.jpg
    DSC07746.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 619
I'm happy we'll be able to see it up close soon, I only saw it as a blur from the window of a London cab a couple of years ago

Most exciting proposals in no particular order, or size:
  • Mirvish/Gehry
  • Bjarke Ingels, King West
  • 1 Bloor West
  • Studio Gang (St Clair)
  • The Well
  • Artist Alley
  • Mirvish Village
I wish I could include the elusive Bloor Cumberland megaproject/design competition that somehow vanished or fell apart....

I wish I could include the elusive Bloor Cumberland megaproject/design competition that somehow vanished or fell apart....

You can forget it - that project is dead as a doornail

• Mirvish/Gehry
  • 1 Bloor West
  • Studio Gang (St Clair)
  • The Well
  • Artist Alley
  • Mirvish Village

AWESOME LIST! For me, I'd just replace Mirvish Village with Aqualuna.

You can forget it - that project is dead as a doornail

That is profoundly disappointing since it's right smack in the middle of things, where a solution is desperately required. We never even saw the results of the International Design competition. I wonder if it fell apart because of valid technical reasons or just someone being a knucklehead?

• Mirvish/Gehry
  • 1 Bloor West
  • Studio Gang (St Clair)
  • The Well
  • Artist Alley
  • Mirvish Village

Plus East Harbour, the Portlands, Galleria, Bloor-Dufferin, 30 Bay, Aqualuna, the George Brown timber building, 1-7 Yonge, CIBC Centre and elevated park, and Mirvish Village! I'd throw in the Crosstown as well.

It's an exciting time to be following it all in TO.

Perhaps more importantly than the pavillion, the project itself passed TEYCC last week: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.TE34.31

It's not quite there yet, but this is a major hurdle passed.
Fantastic!

[Aside: I'm endlessly annoyed at the consistent misspelling of "pixelated" as "pixilated" throughout that staff report. I guess planners aren't familiar with raster graphics.]

I'm happy to see that the form and design have remained largely intact since the last submission with minor tweaks.

October 2017 submission:
king_west_2017-10_2_web.jpg

July 2018 submission:
king_west_2018-07_web.jpg

Attachments

• king_west_2018-07_web.jpg
    king_west_2018-07_web.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 667
  • king_west_2017-10_2_web.jpg
    king_west_2017-10_2_web.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
Very disappointed to see a podium dropped in along King Street. Completely interrupts the architecture above from finding its way down to street level. Our planning department has developed such an obsession with making every streetscape appear the same. The podium obsession is getting really tiresome - this project was an example of one that addressed the street nicely while still bringing its architecture down to grade. I actually find the new street elevations / "podium" to be harsher and less intimate than the original proposed treatment along King Street. Those big glass storefronts that have been added won't do shit-all for improving the walk along this stretch of King Street and look banal compared to the treatment that was originally proposed.

And it doesn't even look like the planning department's (unreasonable, imo) concerns about views onto neighbours' terraces has even been addressed since the same massing approach is being used. So what did they really achieve by forcing all the changes?

I have often found myself at the defense of planners and their influence on architects to consider the treatment of a streetscape etc., but I think this is a great example of a streetwall/streetscape that has gotten worse (in addition to interrupting the architectural expression of the project) at the fault of the planners.

Back