I think the bus routes should be routed to whatever subway station is logical for them to serve. This includes MT and TTC. Whichever subway station gets them on the subway system quicker, that's the goal. Some MT and TTC routes would service Sherway, some Kipling, some Islington. No need to put them all in one place. That said, many MT routes would benefit from stopping at Kipling (since they drive right by it right now anyway) and an East Mall station would be even better. I believe in a Sherway extension, and it was on the RTES plan. With all the redevelopment going on around Sherway and near Etobicoke Centre, it would be a great time to do so.

The current plan is to have all MT buses except one to service Kipling and the one remaining at Islington. But if this hub station is built at Kipling now then any extension would be put on hold for a long time.

I know of no plans to extend the subway west from Kipling, even though it could probably be done at the lowest cost per km. of any possible extension (above ground, with few obstructions). I'd like to see it, as I live directly to the west, in Mississauga. But realistically, it will not happen for 20 years or more, until Transit City is either built out or abandoned, and a Downtown Relief Line (not presently on the planning boards) gets built.

I know of no plans to extend the subway west from Kipling, even though it could probably be done at the lowest cost per km. of any possible extension (above ground, with few obstructions). I'd like to see it, as I live directly to the west, in Mississauga. But realistically, it will not happen for 20 years or more, until Transit City is either built out or abandoned, and a Downtown Relief Line (not presently on the planning boards) gets built.

Depends how you define "plans". Does RTES count as a plan? I guess not, it was just a TTC "study". But you're right, there are no current plans to extend Bloor west. There was that talk about redeveloping Honeydale Mall and that could have led to an East Mall station IIRC. Whoever does develop those lands should contribute money for an East Mall station. Beyond East Mall, you're already at Sherway. So I agree with Observer Walt, a Sherway Gardens extension would be pretty affordable. It wouldn't do much for MT though because Sherway is in an inconvenient location for most MT buses.

All present routes which require using the Highway 427/27 corridor for part of its journey should be redirected towards a Sherway Gardens Station. There is no time advantage to be had having multiple vehicles entering onto congested Dundas St especially during peak hour. Ideally the majority of routes would no longer serve Kipling Stn. A Sherway Gardens mega-terminal (with underground ventilated bus station with private bus-only entrance/exit ramps off the 427 to beneath Sherway Dr) on the otherhand would serve MT 4, 17, 20, 82; TTC 15, 80, 112, 123, 192; GO Transit's Lakeshore Bus as well several new express/BRT routes: Dixie (Mississauga/Brampton), Lakeshore (Mississauga/Oakville), Lakeshore (Toronto), Dundas-Erin Mills via UTM, Burnhamthrope replacing the 76 (Toronto/Mississauga/Oakville), Eglinton replacing the 89 (Mississauga), Derry via Westwood replacing the 11, Steeles via Woodbine/Humber College (Brampton), Albion-Islington to Woodbridge (Toronto/Vaughan) and a Finch/FHC route replacing the 191 (Toronto). Local 1/1C and 3 could still operate to Kipling and the 26 to Islington with a walk-in transfer option to connect to Honeydale Stn.

TTC/contractor is taking their time building the new layover bay.

As for the new ramp, moving along nicely.
IMG_jan-23-10-0005.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0006.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0007.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0008.jpg

The pouring of concrete in winter is what is slow. The surface has to be above freezing, requiring the application of some hot air or heat. While the concrete will have some anti-freeze and will generate heat as it cures, the water in the concrete has to cure in a proper manner to avoid cracks from any expanding ice.

Just for the sake of it, I'll post this page from RTES. Hard to believe RTES was published in 2002. Seems like so long ago now:

4300944762_94e26d1f76_b.jpg

Thanks for that map, in 2002 I was still in Vancouver, lived in a small town for a few short years(with an average transit/bus system-not very frequent before getting up here to Toronto). After getting here, the first public TTC meeting I attended a few years ago a councillor, who I didn't catch his name, made a deputation about extending the subway to Sherway Gardens but I have never seen a map with an alignment before. Makes sense extending it to the Dixie GO station. Mississauga then could have its own LRT terminating there making it a true multimodal transit hub, with GO Trans, TTC subway, Mississauga buses and probably some MT buses as well. I imagine that the West Mall subway station would have some kind of pedesrian tunnel to Sherway Gardens and the 3 bus routes thes.

It is just a transit proposal I was first impressed by because I was new to Toronto and wasn't working at the time, knew only my wife, and was getting to know my new city via its public transit system. Whenever I saw the population of Mississauga and the whole Peel region it always made sense, for me, to extend this line westward and attract more riders out of their cars and onto public transit.

Thanks for posting that map and alignment. I hope this becomes reality- it would really tie the region even more tightly together.

Thanks for that map, in 2002 I was still in Vancouver, lived in a small town for a few short years(with an average transit/bus system-not very frequent before getting up here to Toronto). After getting here, the first public TTC meeting I attended a few years ago a councillor, who I didn't catch his name, made a deputation about extending the subway to Sherway Gardens but I have never seen a map with an alignment before. Makes sense extending it to the Dixie GO station. Mississauga then could have its own LRT terminating there making it a true multimodal transit hub, with GO Trans, TTC subway, Mississauga buses and probably some MT buses as well. I imagine that the West Mall subway station would have some kind of pedesrian tunnel to Sherway Gardens and the 3 bus routes thes.

It is just a transit proposal I was first impressed by because I was new to Toronto and wasn't working at the time, knew only my wife, and was getting to know my new city via its public transit system. Whenever I saw the population of Mississauga and the whole Peel region it always made sense, for me, to extend this line westward and attract more riders out of their cars and onto public transit.

Thanks for posting that map and alignment. I hope this becomes reality- it would really tie the region even more tightly together.

I agree it does make a lot of sense. And that's why we've created SOS to try and get Toronto back on track. I posted the 2002 RTES study in another thread and I think it's very interesting to look at.

The RTES map just plays into my point left on the previous page. Sherway Gardens (West Mall Stn) would be a serious vantage point to route bus trips along the Lakeshore, QEW and Highway 427/27 corridors from. Plus transit and shopping goes hand in hand, so building a major transit hub adjacent the mall, a hospital, a busness park and some condominiums to boot would make it a natural draw for further development and daily stop-and-go commuters. I just don't see the East Mall Stn being particularly useful as a hub/transfer point, too far inward from Dundas. Maybe the 111 and perhaps a rerouted Martin Grove bus but that's it.

It looks like RTES follows the rail corridor partway. I'd prefer it stick to Dundas through East Mall, but it'd be a more expensive option. And I don't know if it could weave all the way down to Sherway in time after East Mall.

Giambrone is probably announcing his intentions about himself running for mayor. I think the westward extention of the subway from Kipling would be possible under him. I think if he were Mayor he would attract a lot of investment from the province and feds for public transit here in Toronto. He is really approachable on Facebook, so you can see how active he is in the community, not only for transit, I think this relatively new medium is the way he has been campaigning the last few years. Miller attracted a lot of investment in Transit and I am hoping that Giambrone is able to secure even more funding for all forms of transit here in Toronto.

Giambrone is probably announcing his intentions about himself running for mayor. I think the westward extention of the subway from Kipling would be possible under him. I think if he were Mayor he would attract a lot of investment from the province and feds for public transit here in Toronto. He is really approachable on Facebook, so you can see how active he is in the community, not only for transit, I think this relatively new medium is the way he has been campaigning the last few years. Miller attracted a lot of investment in Transit and I am hoping that Giambrone is able to secure even more funding for all forms of transit here in Toronto.

I don't think Giambrone is our guy. Smitherman maybe. GTS, Giambrone and Miller were behind Transit City. Being LRT fanboys doesn't make them pro-transit. If it did, they wouldn't be saddling Sheppard with an unwanted LRT when they were promised subway.

I always wonder why these proposals never involve branches. Like one branch terminates at Sherway Gardens (or Long Branch station), and the other branch goes into Mississauga along Dundas or Bloor. Only in Toronto do subways have to be one continuous line, zigging and zagging to touch every point of interest.

Last edited:

Back