I meant the slope needed to build a little 'berm bridge' and literally go over the garage. Wanna run down there with a tape measure and calculate the slope the tracks would need to get over the garage? :)

The grade is too steep and see video for the area as posted above.

The grade is too steep and see video for the area as posted above.

Yes, I know the area. I was wondering what the actual height was since I'm not capable of exact measurements with my eyes. Remember, the garage is 500 feet from the end of the tracks and regrading some of the tracks between the end and Kipling station could bring the total to almost 1000 feet.

Yes, I know the area. I was wondering what the actual height was since I'm not capable of exact measurements with my eyes. Remember, the garage is 500 feet from the end of the tracks and regrading some of the tracks between the end and Kipling station could bring the total to almost 1000 feet.

3% max grade that TTC wants today.

There about 30' different in elevation now.

3% max grade that TTC wants today.

There about 30' different in elevation now.

I wasn't really asking people for guesses...it was a rhetorical request since one would need those surveying lasers to measure the grade.

You're only guessing 30 feet because I said the garage was almost 1000 feet from Kipling station, making it *just* past the grade the TTC wants, therefore requiring a $700M tunnelled extension.

It would be a lot easier to just build the rail line in a box through the garage, as interchange suggested.

People are under the impression that the government buying land is outrageously expensive, with people getting "triple" the value of their homes. This is simply false. When the government expropriates, people get fair market value for their property. Nothing more.

It would be a lot easier to just build the rail line in a box through the garage, as interchange suggested.

People are under the impression that the government buying land is outrageously expensive, with people getting "triple" the value of their homes. This is simply false. When the government expropriates, people get fair market value for their property. Nothing more.

I said "when they bought their condo" as prices have gone up since then. What fair market means to one person is different from another. There will be a premium price paid for this condo regardless. It would be cheaper to knock down that small off build at the corner in front of the condo and then rebuild over it the subway.

As for the 30 foot, I been in construct too long not to have an eye for measurement. I maybe off by 5 feet at best, but to get over that section will be greater than 30'. You only have 500' at best to get up to 30' plus and that is a very steep incline. Don't forget the different is not at the the road level by the build, but where TTC tracks are. Also, you need a transformation section to go from flat to incline to flat and that adds distance also.

Having a box section as suggested will require major structural support for the condo and comes with big $$ to do it. With all the other issues west of here, it still better going underground. A huge insurance policy will have to be obtain as protection in case of failure and that comes with a nice price tag. This is for the section on the south end.

Note: if talking about tunnel under the parking structure to the north, yes it would be easier and cheaper to do so and that is where the subway remains underground going west.

A guess being off by 5 feet makes a huge difference when every foot is a gradient of 0.2% (or 0.1% if some of the tail track is regraded).

There's just no way that reinforcing part of the parking garage and running the subway through a box will cost the ~half a billion dollars necessary for tunnelling to be cheaper.

A guess being off by 5 feet makes a huge difference when every foot is a gradient of 0.2% (or 0.1% if some of the tail track is regraded).

There's just no way that reinforcing part of the parking garage and running the subway through a box will cost the ~half a billion dollars necessary for tunnelling to be cheaper.

Do you carry survey equipment around with you all the time in case you need to do a quick measurement? I sure don't.

To find the right elevation you need to spend some money up front and someone has to pay for it. I can make a good guess, but if it means building something right or wrong, I get equipment to make that true guess.

How far are the tracks from Dundas St at the East Mall where the new subway terminal will be built?

Will it be in the 5 minute walking distance for people who live, shop and work north of the station, moreso north of Dundas?

As a kicker how many residents who will move in to the new complexes plan along this extension will complain about the subway noise especially at crossing like there has been for those new condo's west of Islington?

Yes, I know you need equipment to measure it...I said so. However, you have concluded that the option is impossible just by looking at it.

People walk more than 5 minutes to a subway station...the ubiquitous 5 minute radius circles seen on plans aren't particularly meaningful. And between East Mall, West Mall, Shorncliffe, and Dundas surface routes, getting to the subway will be very easy. People that choose to move next to the subway and then complain should be ignored.

I'd rather humour the guy who opposed extending the Danforth line to STC because he feared his home would be flooded with electromagnetic radiation.

The tin-hat brigade strikes again.

This is the only thing I fear about becoming a planner... Having to deal with people who use their democratic right to make complaints which don't make any sense. Sometimes the dictatorship by planners sounds attractive.

All glory to the RPP

RR:

With all due respect, planners should know damn well how well some of their more dictatorial schemes ended up (Regent Park, Gardiner, suburbia, etc). Those who don't learn from history...

Besides, I am sure Joe Springer (or others) have taught you what the democratic right to complain often amounts to (a la Arnstein's Ladder of Citizen Participation?) :)

AoD

I have said in the past and will continue to do so that if you don't do your homework by driving 1 km around the area where you plan to live to see what in your area as well what goes by your place before you buy it, you are shit out of luck to complaint. This is both on the weekend as well during the day at peak time.

If you don't like it, move some where else and let someone who has no issues with what in the area move end.

There are very few places that go against the grain.

If you buy next to a subway or rail corridor, they are not going away. As for TC this is a different issue and needs to be look more closely.

Back