Re: Mulberry?

It would be great if they could survive without the hoaky new 'reinvention.' If anything, it would spare the theatre from further architectual tampering (not that the new condo is going to overpower the sucker or anything ;) )

We're a major live entertainment town. The ballet and opera may have left for better digs but there are plenty of shows on the road that know they'll find an audience if they come here.

Other aspects of the AHA Centre notwithstanding, the site would make a wonderful tourist info centre, like the one in Ottawa. The ones currently operated by Tourism Ontario is about as exciting as the Ontario bureaucracy.

AoD

Word at SSC is that a notice sheet on site lists the height at 205m (672ft) -- this would be an increase of 53ft in height. I do not know if this implies an increase in the number of floors or not.

Bill

A height increase would be nice, but it's the design I'm excited about. I'm happy to see this one progressing.

Agreed. This has the potential to actually turn out nice, given the attetion its been given and the big name behind it.

Let's admit it. This is a giant boot. There is no way around it. I just hope it is not some joke being perpetrated by Daneil's studio and there is some reason or rational for the shape.

Boot or not it's one sexy looking tower.

I wish more developers would make mention of the materials they expect to use in their elevations for the City.

57 floors! Woohoo!

One section of the report jumped out at me:

Tree Preservation

The Official Plan calls for an increase in the amount of tree canopy coverage. City Council has adopted the objective of increasing the existing 17 percent tree canopy coverage to between 30 and 40 percent.

The application included a report on the trees located on the development site including the private open space on the west side of the building, and the abutting municipal rights-of-way. The City of Toronto Municipal Code regulates privately and publicly owned trees in the ciry. The intent is to preserve significant trees and to ensure a sustainable tree canopy and urban forest in Toronto. The existing tree population on the site and abutting streets provides environmental and aesthetic benefits to the neighbourhood. The protection of existing trees and the planting of large growing shade trees on both public and private lands should be an important objective for any proposal for the development site.

So if they want to keep the trees, why did they remove the mulberry trees? Were they in the way of future excavation?

Bill

Back