sMT"s two shots remind me of how badly Toronto needs to bury its electrical. Bloody dog's breakfast.

i believe most of those wires you see in smt's photos are streetcar cables, but I agree that Toronto really needs to bury its downtown power lines.

I actually don't mind exposed power lines. It looks very gritty looking. I can't imagine the cost and mess it would make dt to bury them, but yes I'm sure it would be a more reliable way to deliver electricity to bury them.

I completely agree with you, I love the unique look it gives Toronto over the polished streets of Chicago and New York.

I don't mind the streetcar wires as they're thin, single wires suspended over the roadway. It's the powerlines at the sides of city streets and the cheap poles and lights that look trashy and take attention away from the buildings lining the streets of the city.

I completely agree with you, I love the unique look it gives Toronto over the polished streets of Chicago and New York.

The wires just detract from the adjacent architecture, the sky, trees, etc. How this is embraced is beyond me. It doesn't make Toronto look gritty -- it makes us look sloppy and negligent.

I'm in my third year living in downtown Boston, but I still live Toronto for about four months of the year. I'm not crazy about Boston for a number of reasons, and Toronto will always be where my heart is, but Boston has figured out a lot about how to beautify the downtown core (i.e. the area equivalent to, say, Parliament/Ossington and Queen's Quay/Bloor or Eglinton). When I come back to Toronto I notice more and more how sloppy we've gotten. Makes me sad when I can no longer affirm Americans' comments that, 'Oh, I was in Toronto once; it's so clean!'

The wires just detract from the adjacent architecture, the sky, trees, etc. How this is embraced is beyond me. It doesn't make Toronto look gritty -- it makes us look sloppy and negligent.

I agree also. The wires have to go. Most progressive modern alpha cities have moved beyond this stage, certainly when it comes to the city's core.

sadly this picture didn't turn out as i wanted.
it was the full moon lighting up the "L tower". my cell phone camera
didn't capture it the way i was seeing it... if it did, it would've looked really
cool on here.
IMG_20131019_000059.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20131019_000059.jpg
    IMG_20131019_000059.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 530

Back