someone should climb the top of l tower and paint few stripes on that top.
we should hire the kid from New Jersey who climbed the spire of freedom tower (WTC1), to do the paint job.

27 March 2014:
ALXLoUG.jpg

part of the reason is because they changed the boot bottom from the original design. the city screwed with the design once again and turned a half deceit design into a crapper.

I thought that the boot was dependent on securing federal or provincial funding to open some kind of museum, and when that failed to materialize the developers simply canned it. Were there other factors?

The base is wrong, so terribly terribly wrong.

I only hope that when it's fully and finally clad, it will somehow work. Otherwise DL's simply repeating his usual shtick, rather than continuing the design aesthetic that works so well in the tower.

I thought that the boot was dependent on securing federal or provincial funding to open some kind of museum, and when that failed to materialize the developers simply canned it. Were there other factors?

I believe the developers made a big mistake there. They could have turned the boot into retail, office space or condos. If they gave it time, I'm sure it would have sold well and made them even more money, as well as provided a much more animated sidewalk, for the city. I much preferred the dramatic design, with the curve in the centre. Yonge street needs to be highly animated from top to bottom, especially that portion leading to the lake. It needs all the help it can get. That government building across the street, while attractive, sure doesn't provide any animation. So basically, now it's a dead zone on both sides of the street from Front, until you come out from under that long underpass. Now, if they could only put some retail into the sides of that underpass, that would help a whole lot.

Last edited:
the original design was much better, it would have added more animation to the area.

The base is wrong, so terribly terribly wrong.

it's not horrible, but it definitely lacks that 'Grand Entrance' feel. I even think not having a podium at all would have looked equally as good if not better with the entrance on the north side of the building. So far, building fails to bring any life to ground level, and the muted colour of the cladding doesn't help.

Back