A further thought on this... It's not all doom and gloom either! I think one of the strongest aspects of the latest building boom has been the smaller scaled infill projects springing up all over the city, filling in the gaps of ugly parking lots and adding density and strengthening many of the downtown neighbourhoods and residential areas. In general the developers have proven themselves far more effective at this than at the larger grander projects, and although a slowdown in the economy may result in the delay in some of these, it may also result in a turn towards additional smaller scaled ones, which again would not necessarily be a bad thing. In the meantime the city may learn how to better develop the larger sites for the next boom.

I like the idea of a plaza/square to be honest. However, I agree with most that the building just looks funny now.

Other than the photoshop job by marcanadian where have we seen new renderings? Wouldn't it seem better to wait for new renderings before complaining about this change?

Wow, I don't know, I guess I thought more people disliked the original design. I never understood why it wasn't called the Boot rather than the L tower. The original podium is just tacky and compromises the historical integrity of the now Sony Centre. Because of that, I prefer the building without the podium. I really don't understand what everyone is up in arms about, when you say it was going to be such a "landmark" tower, it's still going to look the same on the skyline.

If anyone saw the CBC doc on the ROM addition you would know that Libeskind is a egotistical weirdo who designs mostly for himself. I suppose that is no different from most so-called "starchitects". If it were up to me, ROM would be the last building he designed in this city.

I just put together that render on MS Paint so it's pretty crappy. But I was basing it only on the cross section in the pdf file to give a rough idea. I hope it looks nothing like that.

I doubt that,looks like it could tip over

Don't worry about that. As the city gets further involved, along with the developer's 'Bean counters' and 'cheapening' units, this building will end up looking like a box! :(

It's a shame! This was a beautiful building. I wish those clowns at City Hall would just stick to picking up the garbage and fixing pot holes and leave the development process to the OMB.

I want this tower built, and I want it built the way it's been designed damn it! Grrr sometimes this city really ticks me off!

Sometimes?? It almost always ticks me off! City Hall is arrogant, greedy and wasteful! I wish there were Two term limits on city councillors and especially the Mayor. And I think senior civil servants should be rotated as well. Power corrupts! Career politicians are never a good thing.

I want this tower built, and I want it built the way it's been designed damn it! Grrr sometimes this city really ticks me off!

Watch your totalitarian tone right there... Libeskind has said that he wouldn't work for any totalitarian regimes, like China.

I am surprised that the developer is even allowed to tinker with the design at this point. I would think that for it to carry Libeskind's name, it would have to be as he intended or not at all. I loved the original design and I think that the "boot" portion would have looked amazing for pedestrians and traffic heading east from Union Station. Why dont they just convert the boot from commercial to loft style units... or build it as originally intended on spec of future use???

I'll echo much of the above frustration and maybe we should start a poll on whether this thing will end up as a box....

Don't worry about that. As the city gets further involved, along with the developer's 'Bean counters' and 'cheapening' units, this building will end up looking like a box! :(

It's a shame! This was a beautiful building. I wish those clowns at City Hall would just stick to picking up the garbage and fixing pot holes and leave the development process to the OMB.

Sometimes?? It almost always ticks me off! City Hall is arrogant, greedy and wasteful! I wish there were Two term limits on city councillors and especially the Mayor. And I think senior civil servants should be rotated as well. Power corrupts! Career politicians are never a good thing.

Fred, just what are you accusing the City of doing in this case? You are making vague, general accusations. Let's have some specifics.

Fred, just what are you accusing the City of doing in this case? You are making vague, general accusations. Let's have some specifics.

It was a newspaper article about all the problems that the Distillery District developers are having with the city. Even Pam McConnell acknowledged that. The city keeps making financial demands ( basically extortion ) on the developers and if they refuse, they hold the project up with red tape.

You have to admit that Mayor Miller and many of the councillors, like Vaughan are very arrogant and self-absorbed. He's appointed ONLY left-wingers to his executive council and he's far too power-hungry and micro-manages everything HIS way only! In other words; A dictator. I find it off-putting. He doesn't listen to anyone else's opinion. I am also against those taxes he imposed.

Now I wouldn't mind it, if he acted more like that against the province and feds. He's always so polite and respectful to them; but arrogant to everyone else.

That one councillor, I believe her name is Stintz, Is against every project.

I also believe that the city is taking advantage of developers with that article 37?? ( or whatever the name is ) They are abusing that privilege and those extra costs are passed on to the condo purchaser.

As stated earlier in this thread, the city is receiving a $ 4 Million ( donation )?? and a $ 1 Million square in exchange for 60 extra units! The city will be earning extra taxes from those 60 extra units, and those taxes are the only money they should be receiving. The city is just getting greedier and greedier.

You have to admit that Mayor Miller and many of the councillors, like Vaughan are very arrogant and self-absorbed. He's appointed ONLY left-wingers to his executive council and he's far too power-hungry and micro-manages everything HIS way only!

If that is the case in todays economic turmoil, They wont have to many investors knocking on his door.They have pushed the film industry out of town.They blew the worlds fair application proposal when it was ours to win.They have taxed the industries to death where they have all moved to the 905.Personally i think this crew at city hall are a bunch of pussys with no direction.Everything the city touches turns to shit,I will hate to see the final product if ever build of Union Station,Nathan Phillips Square,West Donlands
It will be scary if any of these look anything like the medicore crap being controlled and build by them across the city.

Back