well, gotta say that Cityzen's second post is already a zinger! Thank you!

While Hume decries any building at the Sony Centre, Peter Dickenson himself was deeply disappointed (he threatened to burn his original concept drawings) when E.P. Taylor reduced his much grander scheme for the site, including towers, to the singular structure that was built. Now, 50 years later, part of Dickenson’s more fully urbane concept is being realized.

In principle, I'm tend to keep a wary eye re this kind of "fulfilling designer's original concept" tactic. (Same thing re overwrought schemes for redoing Nathan Phillips Square.)

either way I'd be curious to view any images or renders of the original design.

Besides, they are not calling for a literal fulfilling of the original design, but rather seem to be pointing out that Hume's "diagnosis" is out of line with (and ill informed of) the original vision.

Bottom line for me is we have been waiting what, like 4 years for this thing to get started? All the paperwork and funding seems to be inplace, its time for action.

According to this article, the tower will be built in 2012.:confused:

Completed in 2012.

And might I add:

excitedkid.gif

Last edited:
I think we can all agree to overlook a little vitriol when it comes to discussing the abuse of children or heritage landmarks, and whether the Sony is or isn't a year or two shy of official heritage status who really cares? We know a heritage landmark when we see one...

I wish somebody would direct Romano and Brambilla to this thread so they could get a little more insight to the reaction against their design. They dismiss the notion of a 'bland' design here but fail to realize that with having the O'Keefe Centre at its foot a tower with additional 'frills' would almost certainly be gratuitous. In other words, not 'bland' so much but 'elegant, restrained, and deferential' might be more appropriate design principles for this site. Heck, if you still want to make a splash build high and add a flashy crown, elements that would still read as separate from the Sony yet prominent enough at the front of the skyline to make their mark...

As for whether the tower design is actually 'on' the Sony or astride it we all understand that the real issue is how the tower meets the Sony on the site. The new design is better and the idea of adding a public space with fountains etc. is excellent for this location. Still, coming back to the points above, the ROM-like pseudo-crystal design of the podium just feels pointless at best, jarring to the Sony Centre at worst.

According to this article, the tower will be built in 2012.:confused:

I'm sure it was a reference to when the building would be complete or truth be told, when the developer is projecting completion/occupancy to be. Journalism isn't what it was, take the facts within articles with a grain of salt and then cross check stories to get the truth. What a way to get news, you never know if what your reading is correct.

For anyone who was at the ceremony, was it all pomp or were there actual signs that real construction was commencing?

Sony Centre gets facelift, L-Tower gets started
Posted: October 21, 2009, 3:23 PM by Allison Hanes
Sony Centre for the Performing Arts, L-Tower

Ltower2009.jpg

By Allison Hanes, National Post

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...entre-gets-facelift-l-tower-gets-started.aspx

Ground was finally broken today on the long-awaited revitalization of the historic Sony Centre for the Performing Arts – formerly known as O’Keefe Centre – to be financed through the construction of a condo tower looming above.

The 58-storey sculptural L-tower – literally named for its shape as well as in honour of its designer Daniel Libeskind – will contain 600 units as well as a public plaza and take two years to complete. The refurbishment of the 50-year-old Sony Centre, including state of the art new sound equipment, will take about a year, said Sam Crignano, a partner in Cityzen Development, one of the private partners in the $280-million project.

The renovation and new construction were supposed to get off the ground two years ago, but incurred significant delays which Mr. Crignano attributed to financing during the economic decline.

The original plan was supposed to feature space for an arts laboratory, but that never materialized and in the final version was replaced with more condo units on lower floors and a public plaza with fountains.

Mayor David Miller said the project was one of the most complicated undertaken in the city.

“You’re building a very significant new condominium building above a heritage building. That’s complicated, the financing is complicated and the neighbourhood consultation was complicated… There were 27 public meetings,” Mr. Miller said. “I think it’s appropriate to take time to get a project like this right. This project is now going to proceed and it’s a terrific project and it’s part of the boom in construction that we still have in Toronto. It’s one of the areas of our economy that’s still performing well.”

Daniel Brambilla, CEO of the Sony Centre, said the designated modernist historic site has seen better days, once attracting the world’s top talent and names. For instance, he noted, Mikhail Baryshnikov defected out the backdoor after the last performance of a Soviet ballet.

Mr. Brambilla said the theatre has fallen into disrepair but he hopes the rejuvenation will give it a new lease on life once complete.

Last edited:
For anyone who was at the ceremony, was it all pomp or were there actual signs that real construction was commencing?

David Miller and developers did a photo shoot in the rain shovels in hand. There were speeches and congradulatory comments thats about it.:cool:

It looks great from that angle. Since they're also renovating the SONY Centre, it will work as one unit.

I read that a lot of the original architecture from the O'Keefe Centre would be recreated. If they give the exterior a nice cleaning too, we'll have a very handsome building serving as a podium for this tower.

This image clearly shows that the L tower will still be shaped like a capital L. The wing that extends along the south side of the Sony Centre (which is still part of the revised design) completes the L. Too bad that the head-on view is blocked from the south, but decent views should still be possible a bit to the west of south.

But still, any talk of an "I" or 'l' tower contradicts the facts.

Last edited:
SO SAD that L tower's website STILL shows the old render... that is IF you want to call it a website (the website only says "register now")... That's what skyscraper geeks should call a FAIL!

Back