it just occurred to me......they must have solved the problem about parking....

/so is the project across the street going ahead too?

L's curve makes no sense without the toe of the boot...it's *not* a full half a swoopful. It's now just some silly bulbous shape, like a thumb (or a middle finger) sticking out of O'Keefe Centre.

In my dream world it's a middle finger to all the people who liked the boot. Let's not delude ourselves, it looked stupid.

From NRU
October 23 2009
Sony Centre tower gets its parking

In a decision issued October 14, board member John Aker approved a settlement among the City of Toronto, Metrolinx and Castlepoint Realty Partners Limited with regard to the latter’s appeal for site plan approval in relation to the development of 5 and 7 The Esplanade, southeast of Front and Yonge streets.

The site is proposed to be developed with six storeys of underground parking with 317 spaces, as an accessory to the much publicized 57-storey residential “L” tower to be developed on the site of the Sony Centre at 1 Front Street East. Planner Robert Glover (Bousfields) provided evidence in support of the settlement. The board approved the settlement and the site plan, authorizing development of the underground parking facility.

(See OMB Case No. MM090011.)

Hey Mike it TO, I notice you mention that some purchaser backed out after the re-design. Do you know this for a fact? I have called the L Tower office numerous times, and talked to several people there, asking to back out of my unit, and they have told me that it is impossible and no one has even asked about this. I would still like to try if I know other people have actually done it. Thanks for all your useful posts.

Hey Mike it TO, I notice you mention that some purchaser backed out after the re-design. Do you know this for a fact? I have called the L Tower office numerous times, and talked to several people there, asking to back out of my unit, and they have told me that it is impossible and no one has even asked about this. I would still like to try if I know other people have actually done it. Thanks for all your useful posts.

My information came second hand from people involved in the project that a very small number of ppl were trying to get out of deals following the removal of the 'boot'. I don't have specific numbers regarding how many requests there were vs requests granted. From an outside perspective I'd think they wouldn't have such a problem letting you go as they could likely sell the unit for more than what you purchased it for.

L Tower Groundbreaking October 21, 2009

Over 400 people attended the L Tower Groundbreaking on Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_3143.jpg
    IMG_3143.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I found it very IRONIC that Cityzen still shows the old rendering of the L Tower (with the boot) in its Groundbreaking Ceremony (see 4th photo above) ~

can't they quit marketing what won't be built already ! just rebrand the darn thing to "l-tower" or "I-tower" ~ :mad:

In my dream world it's a middle finger to all the people who liked the boot. Let's not delude ourselves, it looked stupid.

Look, It wasn’t a "boot" it was a curious design that was supposed to look like a bird - BUT - it looked better with the balance of the lower portion. Now it just looks stupid. All those people who bought hoping to live in a building because it was designed by a famous architect should reconsider - I have to wonder what people will call this ridiculous phallic symbol in the future.

just rebrand the darn thing to "l-tower" or "I-tower" ~ :mad:

Arguably, it is still the l tower, albeit with a sans-serif font.

I always liked the l tower for the tower portion, not the boot. For all the complaining on this board for all the "boxes" going up in Toronto, this one absolutely defies it in a very sleek way. Yet it is much maligned anyway!

You know what? I just thought of something.

Ever since they cut the foot off this project, it's more like an 'I' or 'l' than an 'L'... it should totally be called the 'I' Tower!

Any thoughts on this original idea?

Also, looking at the latest render it dawns on me that the tower is a sort of softer-curved echo of the Ritz, the one tapering out and this one tapering in. Not bad. The plaza's good. Just wish beyond wishing they'd redesign that podium.

Ever since the tapering out and in of the L Tower became its primary design feature, I realized this similarity to the Ritz. Both towers are about the same overall size as well and will make interesting counterpoints form certain angles.

I still think the L Tower is one of the most interesting towers ever to go up in this city and I'd be very curious to know how the naysayers would have felt about the new design had they never been made aware of the initial design. I would've definitely loved to see the old design go up but the revised tower is still an original and elegant design, and I'm very eager to see it in the skyline. Like it or not, it will be a local landmark.

I found it very IRONIC that Cityzen still shows the old rendering of the L Tower (with the boot) in its Groundbreaking Ceremony (see 4th photo above) ~

can't they quit marketing what won't be built already ! just rebrand the darn thing to "l-tower" or "I-tower" ~ :mad:

unless you are seeing something that I am not, there is not an old version of the building in that photo. The part that was removed originally ran along the Yonge St side, which now appears as open sky in these new renderings. Double check your perspective...

unless you are seeing something that I am not, there is not an old version of the building in that photo. The part that was removed originally ran along the Yonge St side, which now appears as open sky in these new renderings. Double check your perspective...

Redroom ... I am referring to the 4th photo posted by Cityzen (with rendering to the right of David Miller) ... if you look closely you will see be base of L Tower curving back out on the north elevation, which is something only applied in the original BOOT design ... in the 'revised' proposal the tower's north wall just runs straight to the ground

attachment.php

L Tower Image

This is the revised rendering.

Attachments

• 02b_LTower_FI_10-20-09 reduced.jpg
    02b_LTower_FI_10-20-09 reduced.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 439

Back