L Tower Refined Design

attachment.php

As Solaris has observed, the tower's design has been refined to include a slight boot. It no longer goes straight into the ground as was the case after the original boot was cut off. There is now a slight outward curve that forms a small podium.

Compare to the original design:

ltowerday2.jpg

The foot of the tower used to rise above the SONY Centre from this perspective. The first revision simply chopped off the boot which ended up looking like a feather pen stuck into the ground. The final version -- the one presented at the ground breaking -- has the outward curve from the same perspective but doesn't rise above the SONY Centre.

I think we can be happy again. We sort of got our boot back :)

I'm in touch with a source. I'll have confirmation and a hi-res image shortly.

Are you basing these conclusions from the renderings alone MetroMan or from some other source? I'm not sure that your interpretation is correct. The rendering behind Miller looks like nothing more than a shoddily photoshopped version of the original rendering you posted.

Secondly, if you look at the revised rendering that Cityzen posted on the last page, you can see that the tower does indeed go straight down.

Last edited:
Yes, it looks like the bottom part of the boot is still going to exist. What was the "floor" of the boot will now be the "roof" of the podium.
I look forward to seeing an image from a different angle.

Yes, it looks like the bottom part of the boot is still going to exist. What was the "floor" of the boot will now be the "roof" of the podium.
I look forward to seeing an image from a different angle.

Another reason I'm convinced that this semi-boot rendering is just a shoddy photoshop of the original is that the reflection of the cut-off tip of the boot is still magically apparent. See where I've circled in red and compare that location to the old rendering:

img3137c.jpg

Now, here's the rendering that Cityzen just posted:

attachment.php

Why would they use a "poorly Photoshopped" rendering when an accurate one already exists? Your points are valid though.

The source I'm speaking with has the latest rendering. We were awaiting authorization from the developers to grant the release of the image. It's been granted so I'm waiting for the rendering.

The rendering at the groundbreaking was work in progress, yes the "boot" had been eliminated but it left curves at the bottom of the residential building. The version we posted last evening is the correct one. We authorized Spine3D to make available a high-res image to post at UT.

Another reason I'm convinced that this semi-boot rendering is just a shoddy photoshop of the original is that the reflection of the cut-off tip of the boot is still magically apparent. See where I've circled in red and compare that location to the old rendering:

img3137c.jpg

Now, here's the rendering that Cityzen just posted:

attachment.php

I think you're right. You can also notice the darkened underside of the boot is still present for some odd reason (it's at the far right of the Sony Centre). They just Photoshoped out the top part.

The revised render above are the same as the old L Tower render, same cars - same render people, less the arts centre ("the boot") on the west side of the Sony Centre.

So yes, indeed the sloped bottom of the tower in the rendering next to Mayor Miller isn't a new feature, it was a quick photoshop fix for the launch.

Hi-res render that will knock your socks off coming right up...

Hi-Res Rendering of L Tower - October 20, 2009

Click on the image to view a super hi-res image of the new L Tower render.

Image courtesy of Spinde3D and the developers of L Tower. Publication of this image is authorized for UrbanToronto exclusively. To republish this image, please contact the developers.

Very nice image! Is there a possibility of seeing the reverse angle of this with a PoV from the SW looking NE? That would presumably show the eastern extension (along the southern edge of the Sony Centre) in full, forming the shape of an "L" that some people here seem to think has been lost.

Last edited:
This is a stunning edition to our city.. and for all the complainers about the "boxy" rubber-stamp Toronto condo here's a real step forward.. lets hope the finishings of this building and the materials /colours used prove that..

Well that was a let down. I was hoping to see a hi-res image from a different angle showing the podium.

Back