Why not? As The Lemur says you have been able to do this for as long as I can remember.

On the older cars: yes.

There is rule that says that the new cars are not to carry revenue passengers when running into or out of service. The reason given was supposedly that because the other routes aren't POP yet, that people aren't going to be used to it - which I think is frankly a bit bullshit.

Perhaps they've rescinded it - or perhaps, more likely, the crews that are running the new cars are now (temporarily) based out of Russell and weren't made aware of the rule before sign-up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is rule that says that the new cars are not to carry revenue passengers when running into or out of service. The reason given was supposedly that because the other routes aren't POP yet, that people aren't going to be used to it - which I think is frankly a bit bullshit.
The only downside is that it could slow getting the cars to where they're needed for the rollout. I can imagine a Bathurst car for example would take quite a while longer making all the stops on King than just going directly there...dependent of course on traffic.

The only downside is that it could slow getting the cars to where they're needed for the rollout. I can imagine a Bathurst car for example would take quite a while longer making all the stops on King than just going directly there...dependent of course on traffic.

At 5 in the morning? Perhaps.

But most of the time and for most of the day, an out-of-service car will simply continue until it catches up with a service car ahead - and with no way to pass it, will have to run on its schedule.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Perhaps they've rescinded it - or perhaps, more likely, the crews that are running the new cars are now (temporarily) based out of Russell and weren't made aware of the rule before sign-up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
There's this post (which has some qualifications about "wheelchair accessible" - not sure where that might be on King) https://twitter.com/TTCLeslieBarns/status/662731842601136132

It was actually nfitz who said it was possible to board streetcars that were en route to their actual designated route. Was that always the case with Spadina? I know that you can't get on a Bathurst streetcar heading south to the station or points farther afield (e.g., roll sign says Roncesvalles) and only occasionally on one going north to St Clair West.

It was actually nfitz who said it was possible to board streetcars that were en route to their actual designated route. Was that always the case with Spadina?
I've boarded many a 509 Spadina on Queen East and King East over the years. It often involves the driver having to stop at many stops and explain where he is going, and then wait while the client tries to decide if they want to board or not (never understand how there's much to decide here ... if it's going in a straight line, but not as far as you are going, it's likely going past points where cars turn into service).

A wise decision. With Leslieville residents being able to ride cars in and out of service for years, and after they've suffered years of construction on Leslie, can you imagine the Toronto Star article when one of them complains that not only have they had years of construction, but now it's open, they are no longer allowed to ride them! The story writes itself.

If the issue is POP-related, it goes away in a few weeks anyway when all the routes go POP.

So how far down Leslie are they letting people ride? Presumably Eastern/Leslie is fine. I haven't walked down Leslie for a long time now. I assume the 83 Jones stop south of Molsey is re-instated. That's easy enough to stop at southbound. Leslie/Lakeshore stop was south of Lakeshore (a very useful stop to get to Canadian Tire). Are the streetcars stopping there? I'm not sure where the stops were south of that (never gone past Canadian Tire!).

Back