wow... didnt even notice that. So Ill keep my eyes peeled early weekday mornings for the cladding.. first sign of glass, ~I'll provide instantproof.

This is gonna be a good week, and maybe we'll see if Shangri La can outbling the Four Seasons in Yorkvillle.

I can confirm glass is there somewhere in the building. It arrived on a big flatbed truck on Friday. I didn't get to see it well though.

wow... didnt even notice that. So Ill keep my eyes peeled early weekday mornings for the cladding.. first sign of glass, ~I'll provide instantproof.

This is gonna be a good week, and maybe we'll see if Shangri La can outbling the Four Seasons in Yorkvillle.

I am curious Cal: I have to say that I love the bluish hue in the pictures on the 4S (and my favourite project for look is Shangrila (but I am prejudiced(disclaimer)); I am just not sure how clear/silver glass assuming the renderings are going to outdo that and what would constitute "outblinging?"

I can confirm glass is there somewhere in the building. It arrived on a big flatbed truck on Friday. I didn't get to see it well though.

I know you didn't get to see it well but could you see enough to tell if it is silver colour or clear? (The model pictures make it difficult to know)

I guess my idea of "outblinging" the Four Seasons, would be if the claddung for the Shangri La condo hotel is a silver colour. Maybe clear silver, silver metalic, silver reflective or mirror finish would be awesome. Maybe Tomorrow morning 8am stay tuned to urban Toronto Shangr La thread to find out, otherwise Tuesday, should bring word on cladding installation.

Last edited:
1WTCv2 just got its first piece of cladding this morning and it is a monumental day in New York. I feel similar to seeing Shangri-la's exterior. I'm hoping for something mirrored and more silver than 4S but still blue-ish.

I know you didn't get to see it well but could you see enough to tell if it is silver colour or clear? (The model pictures make it difficult to know)

I really couldn't say, and I don't want to start a rumour, based on a hunch :p We will see this week probably.

I just this minute walked by the Shangri La Hotel. The hooks, now run across the entire southern flank of the fourth floor and I didnt see any sign of the cladding as of yet. Likely may happen later today or tomorrow, I was ready to go with my camera had any of it been installed. Stay tuned tomorrow....... or maybe later tonight If I decide to walk this way on my way home...

Cal,
Please walk by and snap those pictures. We do appreciate it.
I at least an extremely curious to get a look at the cladding and hope it will be as impressive as the renderings. Great cladding with a really tall tower standing essentially be itself (OK BOutique next door is 35 but this will be 66 stories)will make a huge impression on University Ave. Trump will have height and is sleek but disappears somewhat within the bank towers.
I really hope SL chooses the cladding well.
Cheers.

Oct 1 2010 update

photos that I never got around to posting previously ~

IMG_5057.jpg

I love this kind of stuff...

In case you are curious what the Shangri-la site looked like 45 years ago... Taken in 1966 from the top of City Hall looking Southwest.

wait! WTF?! why were those buildings demolished for a vacant lot??? doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't realize there had been buildings on that lot previously (on the Shangri-La site as well as the opera house site). Was there a failed development plan for those lots, or was it fire, or some other reason that caused the buildings to come down?

wait! WTF?! why were those buildings demolished for a vacant lot??? doesn't make sense to me.

Quick history lesson for Steveve...

Between the late 50's and early 70's thousands of buildings in the core were demolished to make surface parking lots... I know, I know Steveve this sounds counter-productive but if you know what was going on at the time... to the people of that era, it made sense.

In North America in the 1950's the automobile was beginning to rule the world. People were no longer trapped to live in inner city housing. Finally working couples could own a home of their own. Previously home owning was for the rich and anyone else rented either a row house or apartment.

Now they were free to own their own home, but they had to purchase farther away and so "The suburbs" were invented. Huge housing developments with detached homes and two car driveways, Strip malls and elementary schools etc... However, they all still worked downtown. [The "Corporate Drives" with head offices located in the 905 was still a few years away (1970's - 1980's)].) and they had to get downtown somehow... (The Yonge Subway system was not ready until 1954 and the Bloor line not until 1966)... So they drove their cars. All these cars needed somewhere to park and entrepreneurs soon realized running a parking lot was a lucrative business. So, hundreds of Victorian, Edwardian and even Georgian (Both Georges V ands VI) were demolished to park all these cars.

Owning and operating a surface parking lot was way more profitable than trying to maintain an aging building. So we lost a lot of old buildings. Some lots have been vacant for going on 40 years because of the suburban boom and the car.

Back