20110130213.jpg

]

this is a great shot. the glass looks completely different depending on the lighting. the middle section really stands out. it almost has an orange feel to it.

Are the walls and ceiling for the pool enclosure really designed to be huge single glass panes as show in the model above?

The large steel framework does suggest that the glass will be free of mullions or other steel support structures like the Four Seasons Centre across the street (maybe just cables or structural glass fins)

Last edited:
I think this is going to be a great project. Probably not as visually appealing as the Ritz from an architectural view point but a really good building none the less. Shangri-la has been making alot of advances on the hotel scene of late. Their new portfolio of hotels is infinitely better than their older ones. I was fortunate enough to spend a few days recently in their new Paris property and it is quite the place. Hoping this property has a similar level of quality build on the interior despite being two vastly different styles.

Actually Shangrila Vancouver is the #1 Shangrila in the whole chain and it is the same developer who is building Shangrila Toronto so that bodes well.
I disagree and find the architecture of the Shangri la far more interesting and visually appealing than the Ritz but this is clearly a personal opinion.

I'll second you on that count. However, I might have had a difference of opinion had the Ritz been clad in similar materials to the Shangrila Toronto.

The Ritz has a very striking design, but the cheap looking cladding, just wrecked it for me. Of course cheap looking in comparison to the SL and FS. :)

i really wish they designed this better. I mean you are paying a cajillion dollars for it and the facade looks no different than a city place condo. My motto is "when your place of residence looks like an office tower design by VDR (*shudders*) it isn't a good sign."

I couldn't disagree with you more Urban Princess. Curtain wall instead of glass. Angles on the glass.
But I am prejudiced because I happen to really like this design. I am not sure what you would want them to do with a 65 story complex.

As for City Place, I think the appearance does not appear anywhere near as nice or high end as SL. And it is repetitive with multiple towers looking all very similar side by side. To me, Ritz other than its angled back looks more like an office tower from the front (removing the podium), and for that matter so does Trump. I guess by this comparison, so would the 4S as a square box. So I am not really sure how the fascade could look differently to avoid something of an office tower design.

well in terms of the trump tower, I feel like we are getting architecturally duped compared to the trump tower in NYC and in Chicago (the latter looks like a giant middle finger but at least it is distinct).

I wish that Shangri-La could have used different building materials other than glass. I'm so tired of the glass facades. This is why WHC is my favourite new construction, it is completely different and distinct. this is just my opinion and preference. To me, the glass makes it feel soulless and devoid of character. I haven't seen the renderings for the top of this tower, but I hope they have a neat capping or point, or something.

ugh, don't get me started on how much I dislike City Place's design.

Back