vegeta i just realized your signature has "communters" instead of "commuters" not trying to nitpick just figured i would point it out in case u didn't notice.

As impatient as i am to see the shang finished, is anyone else feeling like they are going to miss the pink construction cladding? i know i will

NO!!! I will not miss it. I have been really surprised at how many people on here have said that they actually like HOT pink on their skyline. (I guess we really are colour-starved in Toronto). I hate how it becomes such a focal point in the skyline and detracts from the rest. I cannot wait until that blight is gone from our city and replaced with a gleaming crown of Shangri-La

Oct 5/11

IMG_0925.jpg

NO!!! I will not miss it. I have been really surprised at how many people on here have said that they actually like HOT pink on their skyline. (I guess we really are colour-starved in Toronto). I hate how it becomes such a focal point in the skyline and detracts from the rest. I cannot wait until that blight is gone from our city and replaced with a gleaming crown of Shangri-La

We live in a city where almost every new building is grey or contains grey trim, and you're surprised people here are colour-starved? We need a ban on grey buildings starting IMMEDIATELY!

No wonder half the people you meet in Toronto are on some kind of anti-depressant. STOP the war on COLOUR!

Last edited:
We live in a city where almost every new building is grey or contains grey trim, and you're surprised people here are colour-starved? We need a ban on grey buildings starting IMMEDIATELY!

No wonder half the people you meet in Toronto are on some kind of anti-depressant. STOP the war on COLOUR!

I didn't say that I was surprised people are colour-starved, just that a widespread affinity for a hot-pink weather wall on our skyline would be an indication of this starvation!

But really, is that ugly (my opinion) thing at the top of Shangri-La an attractive addition to the skyline? Methinks not.

And where do you get your statistics? I don't know of anyone on antidepressants, so that figure was surprising.

Some of the Bishop's Block revealed...

Pics taken Oct 6, 2011

gG9BL.jpg

JbPkY.jpg

Qsm4R.jpg

QTmnk.jpg

Last edited:
I42, do you happen to have a high res version of this pic? I'd love to use it for my desktop.

The copy of the full downtown image in this post has been replaced with a higher-res version. If you want the image for Wallpaper or a Desktop Picture and can open it in a separate window, you should be able to download the 1440 pixel-wide version from there. Cheers!

We need a ban on grey buildings starting IMMEDIATELY! No wonder half the people you meet in Toronto are on some kind of anti-depressant. STOP the war on COLOUR!

Many of the at-risk women living in the stridently baby blue coloured YWCA Elm Street Centre ( aka The J Cloth On Elm Street ... ) are probably already on happy pills, so I doubt if your theory holds.

October 6,2011

From Today..

It adds so much to the street level and gives University Ave here some animation.

Can't wait till this one is done..

Shangri_La_01a.jpg

Shangri_La_02.jpg

Shangri_La_03.jpg

Attachments

• Shangri_La_01a.jpg
    Shangri_La_01a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 346
  • Shangri_La_02.jpg
    Shangri_La_02.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 310
  • Shangri_La_03.jpg
    Shangri_La_03.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 305
I didn't say that I was surprised people are colour-starved, just that a widespread affinity for a hot-pink weather wall on our skyline would be an indication of this starvation!

But really, is that ugly (my opinion) thing at the top of Shangri-La an attractive addition to the skyline? Methinks not.

And where do you get your statistics? I don't know of anyone on antidepressants, so that figure was surprising.

I made them up, like most people/politicians/media do but I have met a lot of people who told me they take anti-depression medication, so I think it's pretty common. I've also talked with a lot of people who agree that there is just too much grey going up in Toronto. Let's face it, few people actually like the colour grey. (from what I've heard) Even if grey was Toronto's favourite colour, it doesn't need to be on over 75% of our new buildings. Developers need to give us a little more options.

Bishop's Block is turning out amazingly, but do those fugly green pipes really need to be there??? Ugh...

Bishop's Block is turning out amazingly, but do those fugly green pipes really need to be there??? Ugh...

The pipes themselves aren't that great, but I find it kinda cool the way they totally clash with the building. It's contrast, just like how the finely textured bricks of the Bishop's Block contrast with the sleek wall of glass on Shangri-La.

I noticed the other day a different shade of glass on a section of the tower... then realized it was just a section of glass that had been washed.

6223874696_532e3d8192_o.jpg

6223874804_1a3e11d1fb_o.jpg

that's completely awkward ^^^.. wonder why they washed those panels in a straight strip. looks good... i wonder how this type of glass handles white blinds behind it.. I'm pretty sure with Trump (it's super reflectiveness) it doesn't allow anything to be seen from the outside... whereas towers like the Ritz have that ugly pattern of window blinds.

Back