What a great shot! Shangri-La really high lights how much better University Avenue would be with more appropriately scaled buildings. University Avenue screams out to be lined with 200m+ buildings. Canada Life is beautiful, but the rest look so squat for such a grand avenue.

Agreed. Hopefully Shangri-la and RCMI are the start of a trend, unfortunately there are only a few lots left that can realistically be redeveloped.

What a great shot! Shangri-La really high lights how much better University Avenue would be with more appropriately scaled buildings. University Avenue screams out to be lined with 200m+ buildings. Canada Life is beautiful, but the rest look so squat for such a grand avenue.

IMO, the 150m range would suffice,.. 200m is a bit much, the tallest on Bay Street is averaging 150m,

A nice tall condo/hotel would be ideal at the n/w corner of Queen & University, just tear down that old house and viola, prime corner lot!

dt_to_geek:

I think my sarcasm antenna is twitching. ;)

re: University Ave. built form

Height won't make University Avenue grand by default - quality of buildings, consistency of built form and urban design elements will - and all these are sorely lacking.

AoD

Yes, I was being sarcastic :)
I'm a big fan of University Avenue/Queen's Park Cresc., the buildings from Front to Bloor St. range from mediocre to fantastic. I like the wide sidewalks and of course the beautiful centre median (especially spring/summer/fall), Queen's Park and U of T/Government buildings at the top of the Avenue but we need more tree canape along the sidewalks themselves. As for the built form there's not a whole lot of room for improvement, I think most of what's there is there for a while. All that said I think Shangri-la is a terrific addition to University Avenue, hopefully 426 University (RCMI Residences) will use quality materials to add some visual interest along here too not to mention some much needed street life after 6pm and hopefully some restaurants and cafe's open past 6pm will spring up in the next few years.

Great shot of the Grand Boulevard!

The things that stick out to me in that picture are that the fountain needs to be fixed up and turned on! What's the deal there? Also, the Four Seasons Centre would look a lot better if it had a green roof.

They've got plenty of bees, though.

That photograph certainly explains the University Avenue median as an archipelago of isolated islands rather than as a connected land mass, doesn't it?

I am finding this element of the building beautiful.

016-L.jpg

017-L.jpg

020-L.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing lighting then - cool shots!

Also, tonight's GRAND contribution from yours truly... (I kid :p)
But University Avenue truly does look grand from above;

wow fantastic shot!! What time of day was this taken? Why does the avenue look so empty?

I do agree though that this avenue could use some taller buildings.

Back