This is a frightening thing to contemplate...but 3 Dec 2011 I honestly thought TT looked better than Shangri La!

109uj.jpg

That's a good shot, thanks for that. I actually, depending on the angle, like TT more than the Shangri La. I need to wait until the latter is done, as I do like the renders, but I find it a bit lacking in character due to how 'glassy' it is. Depending on the angle, TT can look really 'sharp' and focused. I find the 'La a bit...uh...'obtuse' looking--using that word in the best way possible though (as I do really like this building).

Will the units have dropped ceillings?

There's no mention in the specifications .pdf or the website of bulkheads and I'd be really surprised in a high end building like this if there were so I'm sure the suites have dropped ceilings.

I believe dt_Toronto_geek is correct. I have been told by the sales office that there will be 9 foot clearance in the residences and 10 feet in the estates. I believe the kitchen may have a partial drop of about 6" but the living areas will not have drop ceilings. If one looks at SL in Vancouver pictures of for sale units, it appears the ceiling height is a "clear 9 feet".

Some ridiculously luck owners of those 2 storey glass boxes (and penthouses). the open concept of double decker ceiling heights in certain places near windows is pure epic... that type of unit kills any other. crazy ceiling heights at crazy heights.

in that last pic , why is there an angled floor near the top part of the 2 storey glass box units area.???

and the view from the sheraton looks a lot more big city now thanks to shangri-la!.. it's quite awesome.

in that last pic , why is there an angled floor near the top part of the 2 storey glass box units area.???

I thought the 'box' was supposed to end before reaching the top floor, and revert back to the angled floor plate for a couple more floors. I'm having trouble finding renders of the west side, but maybe these two show what I mean:

urbantoronto-144-3101.jpg

shangri-la_invite_front_%206pm.jpg

...but then if you look at the image again, we see the box of four double height floor plates, followed by an angled floor plate, and then just one floor above that it seems to go back to the box floor plate again. I don't understand what's happening either.

6458017651_be79091973_b.jpg

Last edited:
...but then if you look at the image again, we see the box of four double height floor plates, followed by an angled floor plate, and then just one floor above that it seems to go back to the box floor plate again. I don't understand what's happening either.

EXACTLY what got me thinking.. i thought it would end before the top, then i saw that flat floor and was like "what the-"?

maybe...they're just reusing the forming from the previous floor, but actually poured an angled floor? Guess we'll have to wait and see what it turns out to be.

They would have used the exact same flying form tables to form the angled floor plate, as they would the flat floor plate. You can form angled, straight, or even curved slabs with those types of forms. All these do is support the slab itself, not determine the shape.

A great deal of Absolute Mississauga was actually formed with flying forms like that (the majority being of the skydeck variety).

It's simply economical for them to do so in that situation, as it doesn't make any sense to bring in a different shoring system for what can be accomplished with the same one.

Last edited:
My guess; perhaps it's part of a 2 storey unit with a second floor walkout looking over the main floor. The protrusion below looks to be further out than the angled floor, so that's my prediction.

Back