28 March 2012: I've decided Shangri La is a Virgo--fussy details, can't make up its mind what it should be, but ultimately about micro-managing money. Very Vancouver.

020jdq.jpg

018xj.jpg

015poa.jpg

From the last picture...

If I focus less on the composition as 'podium' and consider the emerging street wall as a whole I think the Shangri-La base is shaping up to be quite successful. We often complain about monolithic block-busting facades, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Actually tewder I agree with u. Things don't have to look the same. In fact a variety of architectural features at street level looks even nicer than a uniform look throughout the building.

I agree with Tweder and vatche.
In fact; imagine no hoarding, the black granite completed; and if one looks especially at the last picture imagining glass where the hoarding now sits; I think it actually looks quite appealing and certainly interesting.
I know I am prejudiced but I personally believe this is one of the better executed buildings in Toronto and also is quite true to its renderings.

that first pic shows how awesome the adelaide street wall is! add 100 adelade to the bunch and you have a winner!

I agree too. I think the base is one of the best the city has seen so far in this "boom" I don't necessarily understand those who are complaining about different materials and treatments. My gosh, the restored house has at least 6 different materials, colours and treatments in the same facade. The horror!!

Pretending ur walking by different small buildings built by different architects. Nothin wrong with that. In fact better.

Exactly. I understand an appreciation of harmony and cleanliness of design, but at ground level, creating a real, interesting experience for people is the priority and trumps any "harmony" or "simplicity" (etc.) in my opinion.

From the last picture...

... We often complain about monolithic block-busting facades, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think that's exactly the intent of the design, to humanize the scale at street level by breaking it down.

In the first pic, there appears to be a shadow across the dark gray granite. In the last pic, the colour is the same for both sections of granite - so the last pic gives a better indication of the finished look.

Last edited:
It's quite a fascinating parade of materials along Adelaide - and I use that word advisedly as it does seem harmonious, and a progression, as opposed to merely a jumble. I am really looking forward to the final touches, and especially the unveiling of the public art component on University Avenue on May 5th.

I knew I'd seen this building somewhere before! ;)

Shang-Destroyer.jpg

(Original photo: Craig White)

Last edited:

Back