the issue is not the curtain wall but rather the balcony glass.

What a mess. I understand that falling/defective glass can happen to any building anywhere. But has this become more of a unique Toronto problem in terms of the magnitude of which this is happening in our city?

It's embarrassing. Especially when it comes to out-of-town era visiting the city in our best hotels.

And it can't be our climate too. Since many cities nearby (namely New York and Chicago) share very similar climate and weather conditions.

It's really such a shame when such a beautiful (higher quality glass building for our city's standards) becomes major headlines and a victim to falling glass. Because a building like this should be a stand out to your average person showing them that not all glass condo buildings have the same poor quality. Glass buildings already have a bad reputation. This doesn't help it either.
Shangrilas is one of our better buildings. It's got a beautiful curtain wall that now becomes no different than the type of glass on Murano. It's hard to tell that to someone anyway if the glass keeps falling.

the issue is not the curtain wall but rather the balcony glass.

oops, I realize that now. I guess if there is a problem with quality control then we should stop designing our buildings with so many balconies? I mean, a building like Trump tower has had falling glass before but wasn't it all construction related incidents (I could be wrong)? That building has basically no balconies and only a few terraces.
I'm also interested in why large quantities of balconies are implemented in practically every major residential building in the city. Are there regulations similar to that of windows that must open that enforce these outdoor living spaces? I understand that many people prefer have units with balconies, but I'm sure many of them go unused year round (or used for storage). Not to mention I believe they are unusable in the winter months. I just don't see a lot of residential buildings being built with the amount of balconies that we do in say, Manhattan.

From the management:
The developer expects to replace glass from balconies commencing end of August and finishing end September for South and East sides.
Glass is ordered...no known delivery date yet for the North and West sides.
They do not know if Nickel sulfide inclusions are the problem or if the glass fails to meet standards but are replacing it anyhow.

There was a time when glass wasn't the most used cladding material for balconies. When was the last time we heard something fall off from one of these buildings?

13070215185_d19c0f262c_c.jpg

There was a time when glass wasn't the most used cladding material for balconies. When was the last time we heard something fall off from one of these buildings?

Is there not a missing panel in that same picture?...

People cannot see through metal balcony railings, therefore they are not especially attractive to purchasers.

The laminated replacement glass will be just fine for the balconies.

what is this comment in regards to? i'm not sure i follow.

just trying to understand the relevance. thanks.

People cannot see through metal balcony railings, therefore they are not especially attractive to purchasers.

Correct - I lived in 111 Davisville before they changed the balconies to the black glass and the difference to the look of the building was night and day.

111 is in the front here - 77 Davisville is behind and it has the old balcony fronts

5vtYqev.jpg

Back