short press release regarding the crane install on March 29th.....and I think its pretty certain that the building will now be 66 storeys....

Attention News Editors:

LIVING SHANGRI-LA TORONTO - The deepest excavation in the City of Toronto at a depth of 31m

TORONTO, March 24 /CNW/ - Located on the North/West corner of University
and Adelaide. The exotic and luxurious Shangri-La Hotel and condominium will
have 200 hotel rooms and 360 condominium homes. The glass curtain wall
building will be an illuminating 66 storeys high.

The tower crane is being installed on March 29th.

62 tonnes of reinforcing steel has been delivered for the tower
foundation and crane base.

A total of over 100,000 m3 of material has been removed from the site and
a further 7,000 tonnes of steel will be utilized to complete the structure.
Completion will be mid 2012.

Photo-14602.jpg

For further information: Living Shangri-La Toronto, (416) 599-0333,
www.livingshangri-latoronto.com

...but that may just be a 65 storey building with a top floor number 66 because it skips the 13th floor.

I'd prefer more thorough info than that skimpy press release!

I guessed the hole was 115ft deep, wasn't too far off.

In any case;
102ft down,
704ft up,
and nothing but 806ft of beautiful glass skyscraper in between :D

Obviously! I didn’t mean it literally, I just wanted to make a catchy line. That and besides its not like we'll be able to see the underground portion, so... I'll just imagine it as being entirely made of glass ;) a beautiful glass edifice.

Last edited:
It'll be steel reinforced concrete, not steel beams.

The Shangri-La in Vancouver is concrete (like RBC Dexia), not steel (like Bay-Adelaide). Residential towers are usually concrete.

Where did all the material from the excavation end up? Did it all go to the Leslie Street spit? If so the transformation there should be as dramatic as the transformation of the skyline.

Removal of Earth

Where did all the material from the excavation end up? Did it all go to the Leslie Street spit? If so the transformation there should be as dramatic as the transformation of the skyline.

I've forwarded your question to Shangri-la and they will check to see where it goes. If I hear back I will post the answer here.

I was wondering the same thing. But why don't they just deposit all that infill on Ontario Place or on the Toronto Islands to stabilize the beaches?

I think the infill question is genius, and I look forward to the response.

Another idea of what to do with the dirt: where space allows, build berms on the lakeshore west in between the walking/cycling paths and the Gardiner/Lakeshore. There's one stretch where such berms exist, and it's so much nicer and quieter than the other portions of the path system.

Back