ponyboy, you're not alone in thinking this is a good idea. Robert J. Sawyer in the novel Flashforward (written in 1999 I think) creates a future in 2030 that has "intelligent" cars that know which spots are vacant. We could have that now, with an iPhone and bluetooth (or better in car-navigation systems), the right app and Pearson airport sensors everywhere. Why don't you write (or commission) an app for Pearson and put it on iTunes? Your future awaits you . . .:D

Your future awaits you . . .:D
Welcome... to the world of tomorrow!

worldoftomorrow.jpg

Wow. You know there's a boom on in the city when I found a project this huge and important on the bottom of page three in "Projects and Construction" this morning.

well I didn't go on these forums much before July because I thought everything was dead.

Then I realized it wasn't..

Sure there aren't big proposals coming out every 2nd week, but we are starting to see many of the best buildings get constructed now.

Your future awaits you

lol I think that is quoting Dewey who ran against Truman in the 1948 US election. Dewey was so certain he would win, he knew if he said hardly anything he would just cruise to victory.
So he used to say simple stuff like "the river are full of fish" and such.

lol I think that is quoting Dewey who ran against Truman in the 1948 US election. Dewey was so certain he would win, he knew if he said hardly anything he would just cruise to victory.
So he used to say simple stuff like "the river are full of fish" and such.

I did not know that. Could that be the inspiration for presidential candidate, Chance the Gardener in the movie "Being There":

President "Bobby": Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
[Long pause]
Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
President "Bobby": In the garden.
Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

well every poll and the entire media were sure Dewey would win in 1948 even before the campaigning started.

Dewey knew it was his to lose so he avoided mistakes and just said optimistic obvious things like the famous line "You know the future is ahead of you" :D

Well Truman pounced with fiery rhetoric and the working classes really fell for Truman's charisma and thus you ended up with the greatest upset in American politician history...

and a classic image

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Deweytruman12.jpg

anyways, history can be funny at times...

Yeah it appears they will take a whole year to get to ground level at the least.

steady progress at Shangri-La....pic by Jasonzed at SSC...

09182009a081.jpg

Who is the framing or concrete sub on Shangri-La

Dude, each of your posts asks the same thing - not to be rude, but what is it with you and this question? You need a job, call the construction office and ask who it is. Better yet, go by the site and ask in person.

p5

Maybe he a subcontractor that lost out on the job when he was low bidder. Or wants to know who may not be bidding against him on another project so he can up the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, each of your posts asks the same thing - not to be rude, but what is it with you and this question? You need a job, call the construction office and ask who it is. Better yet, go by the site and ask in person.

p5
To be fair, he already explained himself in another thread:

I'm glad to see that high-rise construction is still going well in Toronto. I am a Canadian Citizen who has worked for the past ten years on some of Chicago's most notable projects. I was the Lead surveyor and Project Coordinator for Trump Chicago. Unfortunately the Chicago market has imploded. I will be in your city this week interviewing with Menkes for the Four Seasons Project. I am looking for some contact information. How many buildings above 40 stoties are actively under construction? How many are coming out of the hole, or not yet passed say the tenth floor? Who are the main Concrete Forming subs on these buildings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan to hit a few job-sites and hand in my resume.

info was just posted one page back by Solaris:

The Shangri-la was designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects / James K M Cheng Architect Inc. Consultants are: Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Ltd. / Jones Kwong Kishi (structural); M.V. Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. / Sterling Cooper & Associates Ltd. (mechanical); Nemetz (S/A) & Associates Ltd. (electrical); and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg (landscape). Subtrades include: Aro Excavating Ltd.; Hardrock Forming; Expo Iron Works (structural steel); Salit Steel Ltd. (rebar); Innocon Inc. (concrete); Lisi Mechanical Contracting Ltd.; OZZ Electric; York Sheet Metal Ltd. (HVAC); and ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd.

source for this and other subcontractor info: http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35182

Last edited:
To be fair, he already explained himself in another thread:

Yes, but it was deleted by the Moderator.

I will be very happy when this reaches ground level. I really like deep excavations (or, rather, watching the excavation), but watching the parking garage get constructed is a bit, well, tedious. I think this is one of the reasons for the lack of substantive posts over the last couple of months in this thread.

Here's shots I took yesterday of the "future of shangri-la"... sorry for the poor image quality cause it rained so i took this from a car...

This shot shows the Ritz, RBC, and CN Tower.... SAY GOODBYE TO THIS VIEW WHEN SHANGRI-LA GO'S UP!

3967231704_163e631af2_b.jpg

Here's a shot I took of the CBD (with BA)... I really like how it shows how much Shangri-la is gonna stick out from University Avenue.... Shangri-la is gonna be REALLY cool to watch go up and end up in the skyline..... Gotta love it!

3966446057_8672c34238_b.jpg

All photos by me: steveve

Enjoy :)

Back